Staredit Network > Forums > Serious Discussion > Topic: Why do you believe?
Why do you believe?
Dec 31 2008, 11:27 am
By: Hercanic
Pages: < 1 « 8 9 10 11 1213 >

Polls
Why did you choose your particular religion?
Why did you choose your particular religion?
Answer Votes Percentage % Voters
It's what I was raised to believe. 3

5%
None.
I don't know much about other religions, so I default to what I know. 1

2%
None.
It appeals to me. 4

6%
None.
I had a personal experience that convinced me. 5

7%
None.
Faith. 5

7%
None.
______________. 9

13%
None.
N/A, I am not a theist. 45

63%
None.
Please login to vote.
Poll has 72 votes. You can vote for at most 1 option(s).

Jan 26 2009, 4:07 am Marine Post #181

No matter what, no matter WHAT there is a hell and heaven for every person. I you believe in nothing after death, then its not a neutral stance, it is your hell and heaven. Just like up and down. There is nothing but up, and nothing but down. Same philosophy with side to side, left ro right, etc. 2 opposite directions; negative and positive. There is no '0' in between. No matter what, no matter WHAT there is a hell and heaven.

None.

Jan 26 2009, 4:16 am ClansAreForGays Post #182

Quote from Kellimus
Quote from Kaias
Quote from Kellimus
Quote from Kaias
Quote from Kellimus
Quote from Kaias
Quote from Kellimus
That's why I don't believe in Religion because its too freaking ridiculous: "BELIEVE IN MY GOD OR YOU'RE DAMNED TO HELL!"
They don't all believe that.
Every. Single. Mormon. I have ever known. Believes that.
In the LDS Church hell isn't even an option. They believe that you're judged according to your understanding and knowledge- if you never had that then you can't be judged for what you don't know.

Uh, dude you don't know what you're talking about.

Purgatory = Hell in LDS (I was brought up as a Mormon, mind you) and they believe in the Celestial, Telesital, etc.. kingdoms and you can 'become a god' of your own planet.

And where are you getting your information from? You're completely wrong about everything you've claimed in that comment I've quoted.

Mormons believe in heaven and hell just like other Christians and they judge just like other religions do, and they 'judge you in the afterlife' depending on how well you followed the church.

Please step away until you find out actual truth about what you're talking about please?
You're right, I don't know what I'm talking about- especially since I am a mormon. You cannot go to 'Hell' the lowest you can merit is the telestial, which is better than earth life.

And where are you getting your information from? You're completely wrong about everything you've claimed in that comment I've quoted.
I'm not wrong about anything I've "claimed" LDS believe.

Telestial includes Pergatory which is HELL.
No, the true hell equivalent is known as Outer Darkness(which I'm sure you've heard about). The Telestial is still described as glorious beyond words. Pretty much the only way you get the Outer Darkness instead of Telestial is if you are Lucifer, or you deny Christ even after your death when he meets you in judgment. You have to practically beg for Hell.

Jan 26 2009, 4:24 am Marine Post #183

And yet, even after begging for hell, if you are originally accepted into the stereotypical heaven you can still be forgiven for begging and not condemned to hell. What you believe is what you get. No matter what faith.

Shall I post my entire philosophy and statement for you guys?

Didn't think so either.

Don't continue without me :hurr: I'll continue this debate tommarow.

None.

Jan 26 2009, 4:44 am Kellimus Post #184

Quote from ClansAreForGays
Quote from Kellimus
Quote from Kaias
Quote from Kellimus
Quote from Kaias
Quote from Kellimus
Quote from Kaias
Quote from Kellimus
That's why I don't believe in Religion because its too freaking ridiculous: "BELIEVE IN MY GOD OR YOU'RE DAMNED TO HELL!"
In the LDS Church hell isn't even an option. They believe that you're judged according to your understanding and knowledge- if you never had that then you can't be judged for what you don't know.

Purgatory = Hell in LDS (I was brought up as a Mormon, mind you) and they believe in the Celestial, Telesital, etc.. kingdoms and you can 'become a god' of your own planet.

Mormons believe in heaven and hell just like other Christians and they judge just like other religions do, and they 'judge you in the afterlife' depending on how well you followed the church.

Please step away until you find out actual truth about what you're talking about please?
You're right, I don't know what I'm talking about- especially since I am a mormon. You cannot go to 'Hell' the lowest you can merit is the telestial, which is better than earth life.

No, the true hell equivalent is known as Outer Darkness(which I'm sure you've heard about). The Telestial is still described as glorious beyond words. Pretty much the only way you get the Outer Darkness instead of Telestial is if you are Lucifer, or you deny Christ even after your death when he meets you in judgment. You have to practically beg for Hell.

I haven't been to church since I was around eight, so I probably got them mixed up. Maybe Pergatory is the name they use for Limbo, I dunno.

None.

Jan 26 2009, 4:45 am Syphon Post #185

Quote from Kellimus
Ad Hominem isn't the way to debate, good sir.

And if you agree they all fill the same role as creator, why are you saying they're not the same entity when they are a creator entity?

Do you ever know what ad hominem is? 'Cause I certianly didn't use it in that post.

I'm saying they aren't the same entity because they aren't. Just because two things are similar doesn't make them the same.

None.

Jan 26 2009, 4:46 am Syphon Post #186

Quote from Kellimus
Quote from ClansAreForGays
Quote from Kellimus
Quote from Kaias
Quote from Kellimus
Quote from Kaias
Quote from Kellimus
Quote from Kaias
Quote from Kellimus

I haven't been to church since I was around eight, so I probably got them mixed up. Maybe Pergatory is the name they use for Limbo, I dunno.

Purgatory, in any religion that uses it, is the name for limbo. The definition of purgatory is pretty much limbo.

None.

Jan 26 2009, 4:53 am Kellimus Post #187

Quote from Syphon
Quote from Kellimus

And if you agree they all fill the same role as creator, why are you saying they're not the same entity when they are a creator entity?

Do you ever know what ad hominem is? 'Cause I certianly didn't use it in that post.

I'm saying they aren't the same entity because they aren't. Just because two things are similar doesn't make them the same.

"Attacking the man". Maybe I should add Abusive at the end, but that's just spam anyways.

You should read this as a retort to what you just said: http://www.staredit.net/124922/

Pretty good explanation.

None.

Jan 26 2009, 5:23 am Vi3t-X Post #188

I suppose the better question for the majority of the people here is:

Why should you believe?

None.

Jan 26 2009, 5:30 am Vrael Post #189

Quote from Marine
No matter what, no matter WHAT there is a hell and heaven for every person. I you believe in nothing after death, then its not a neutral stance, it is your hell and heaven. Just like up and down. There is nothing but up, and nothing but down. Same philosophy with side to side, left ro right, etc. 2 opposite directions; negative and positive. There is no '0' in between. No matter what, no matter WHAT there is a hell and heaven.
Why must there be?

If we take your examples of directions, for instance, we can clearly see that if we have 2 vectors of length 0, (one for each direction, presumably), well, there's really no direction without a length, is there? Perhaps you might say the set of axes has directions anyway, so let's get rid of the axes and just examine the vectors. Now there are no directions in our little space. Aside from that, directions are relative, someone in China who points up is actually pointing down compared to a person in the United States, and vice versa (well not exactly but you get my point I hope). I don't follow how you got from a belief in nothing to the necessary existence of heaven and hell.

None.

Jan 26 2009, 5:31 am Syphon Post #190

Quote from Vi3t-X
I suppose the better question for the majority of the people here is:

Why should you believe?

Pascal's wager is the only logical reason.

None.

Jan 26 2009, 5:33 am Vi3t-X Post #191

I choose to tip the scales in my favour.

None.

Jan 26 2009, 5:34 am Vrael Post #192

Quote from Syphon
Quote from Vi3t-X
I suppose the better question for the majority of the people here is: Why should you believe?
Pascal's wager is the only logical reason.

Are you implying that you have complete knowledge of all data in regards to the existence of God and the truth of religion? If so, then you're fine in asserting that (but you might have a hard time proving your omnipotence). If not, you need to add a "probably" into that assertion.

None.

Jan 26 2009, 5:34 am Syphon Post #193

Quote from Kellimus
Quote from Syphon
Quote from Kellimus

"Attacking the man". Maybe I should add Abusive at the end, but that's just spam anyways.

You should read this as a retort to what you just said: http://www.staredit.net/124922/

Pretty good explanation.

Exactly. And it does not invalidate arguments. Claiming my arguments are wrong because I insulted(?) you, however, does.

That retort is wrong. Just because they represent the same thing doesn't mean the are the same thing. They have unique origins, and are therefore distinct.

None.

Jan 26 2009, 5:42 am Vi3t-X Post #194

If you truly understood the meaning of religion, you would know how they are all alike.

Religion is a concept devised to make humans better humans. It is a concept to bond and connect people so that the believe in one thing so that they may advance accordingly.

If you accept a God par say, everyone agrees and everyone will work together and build a monestary or place of worship. This is a technological advance.

Religion is devised to unite and strengthen man kind, but it has been taken to disproportion.
Concepts of Hell and Heaven are to reward the good hearted and punish the wicked.
Religions may in fact have been delivered by God(s), but in the end, it is to make people better.

All religions are made to further the existance of man kind.
Some religions have changed far beyond the original aspect they once were.
Some religions have been born out of other religions.

Many religions are far beyond what they used to be. Christianity has split into thousands of Churches.
The Anglican church, or "Church of England" was created because King Henry wanted to Divorce his wife, and Catholicism disapproved of it, so he made his own Church and was like "PwnT".
Jainism is another fine example.

In conclusion.
Just be a good person and regardless of religion, satisfaction will be met.

None.

Jan 26 2009, 8:15 am Kellimus Post #195

Quote from Syphon
Quote from Kellimus
Quote from Syphon
Quote from Kellimus

Pretty good explanation.

Exactly. And it does not invalidate arguments. Claiming my arguments are wrong because I insulted(?) you, however, does.

That retort is wrong. Just because they represent the same thing doesn't mean the are the same thing. They have unique origins, and are therefore distinct.

How is it wrong, because you don't agree with it? Just because they have unique origins and are 'therefore distinct' does not imply they are not of the same thing.

My laptop is made by Sony, other people may have one that are made by HP/Compaq, Dell, Toshiba, etc.. They all have unique origins and are 'therefore distinct' but they are the same.

None.

Jan 26 2009, 10:19 am Devourer Post #196

Hello

I do not believe.

Please report errors in the Staredit.Network forum.

Jan 26 2009, 1:07 pm Syphon Post #197

Quote from Kellimus
Quote from Syphon
Quote from Kellimus
Quote from Syphon
Quote from Kellimus

Pretty good explanation.

How is it wrong, because you don't agree with it? Just because they have unique origins and are 'therefore distinct' does not imply they are not of the same thing.

My laptop is made by Sony, other people may have one that are made by HP/Compaq, Dell, Toshiba, etc.. They all have unique origins and are 'therefore distinct' but they are the same.

It's wrong because he's saying things that are not identical are. Just like you are.

And no, no they aren't. If any two things are in anyway distinct, they are not the same thing. They are not identical. End of story.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jan 26 2009, 7:42 pm by Syphon. Reason: typo

None.

Jan 26 2009, 5:34 pm Kaias Post #198

Quote from Kellimus
That is a terrible analogy. They are not all the same and are very distinct. They may all be laptops, but they are not the same.

They may all be gods, but they are not all the same God.

None.

Jan 26 2009, 6:16 pm ClansAreForGays Post #199

It actually the perfect analogy to show Syphon's point.

Jan 26 2009, 7:42 pm Syphon Post #200

Thank you Kaias and CAFG; I know they're basically the same gods - the fulfill the same rolls, but that doesn't mean they aren't distinct.

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 « 8 9 10 11 1213 >
  Back to forum