Staredit Network > Forums > Serious Discussion > Topic: Why do you believe?
Why do you believe?
Dec 31 2008, 11:27 am
By: Hercanic
Pages: < 1 « 10 11 12 13 >

Polls
Why did you choose your particular religion?
Why did you choose your particular religion?
Answer Votes Percentage % Voters
It's what I was raised to believe. 3

5%
None.
I don't know much about other religions, so I default to what I know. 1

2%
None.
It appeals to me. 4

6%
None.
I had a personal experience that convinced me. 5

7%
None.
Faith. 5

7%
None.
______________. 9

13%
None.
N/A, I am not a theist. 45

63%
None.
Please login to vote.
Poll has 72 votes. You can vote for at most 1 option(s).

Jan 28 2009, 10:23 pm Falkoner Post #221

Muslims do not believe in Christ, they believe in Allah.. Christianity (all forms of it, Catholisism, LDS, Christian, etc...) followers worship Jesus Christ... So how is Islam an 'extention' when they only pray/worship Allah, which is their word for 'God'?

My religion does not worship Christ, we praise him, and thank him, but we only worship God.

And, honestly Kellimus, stop trying to play the "I used to be Mormon" card, you honestly seem to know less about it than most.

We agreed to come to Earth, as a sort of test, and to receive bodies. What kind of test would it be if there were no challenges in life?

None.

Jan 28 2009, 10:28 pm Syphon Post #222

Quote from MillenniumArmy
And so because of this I challenge everyone to go prove to the world (especially to the religious world) that you have much better or equally warm personalities and lives as one that's of some sort of religion. Doing so will, rather than generate harsh sentimentality toward each other, but instead make this whole world a much better place to live in close the gap/division between the religious and the none so that everyone can finally accept people for who they are :)

The problem with this, and the rest of your reasoning is that, while you may have met nice religious people, the most evil, unkind people on Earth also operate under the guise of religion. There are atheists just as nice as the religious folk, and ones just as evil too. It's not even a correlation/causation thing, it's a no-relationship one.

Quote from Falkoner
And, honestly Kellimus, stop trying to play the "I used to be Mormon" card, you honestly seem to know less about it than most.

By that logic, he should stop trying to use any cards.

None.

Jan 28 2009, 10:36 pm Vi3t-X Post #223

Quote from Falkoner
Muslims do not believe in Christ, they believe in Allah.. Christianity (all forms of it, Catholisism, LDS, Christian, etc...) followers worship Jesus Christ... So how is Islam an 'extention' when they only pray/worship Allah, which is their word for 'God'?

My religion does not worship Christ, we praise him, and thank him, but we only worship God.

We agreed to come to Earth, as a sort of test, and to receive bodies. What kind of test would it be if there were no challenges in life?

According to my Teacher's perspective of Christianity (I think its Protestant or something).
Previously, when humans died they would be in Limbo.
Then Christ came down and repented? everyone's sins, and he died for them.
And that is why everyone praises Christ, because now that he died, everyone's souls get a place in heaven.

Now, according to that theory, Christ is in Limbo.

MacBeth is more entertaining than religion. :><:

None.

Jan 28 2009, 10:56 pm MillenniumArmy Post #224

Quote from Syphon
And so because of this I challenge everyone to go prove to the world (especially to the religious world) that you have much better or equally warm personalities and lives as one that's of some sort of religion. Doing so will, rather than generate harsh sentimentality toward each other, but instead make this whole world a much better place to live in close the gap/division between the religious and the none so that everyone can finally accept people for who they are :)

The problem with this, and the rest of your reasoning is that, while you may have met nice religious people, the most evil, unkind people on Earth also operate under the guise of religion. There are atheists just as nice as the religious folk, and ones just as evil too. It's not even a correlation/causation thing, it's a no-relationship one.
I know, I addressed this in my previous post. I know that some of "the most evil, unkind people on Earth also operate under the guise of religion" (we could argue if this has to do with the fault of people, not religion but I'd rather not go there yet) but my point is that more nice/humble/loving/caring/friendly/warm people i know fall under the more religious category than they would on the other end of the spectrum. And I'm saying this as a percentage, not shear number alone. Again, your observations may differ vastly (as they would i assume)

I'm not saying that it is a correlation/causation thing, I want people to prove that it is a no-relationship one by actually being nice/humble/loving/caring/friendly/warm/etc people (which is my main reason for posting my other post) and not just babbling it.

None.

Jan 28 2009, 11:56 pm Syphon Post #225

Ah, alright.

(I also presume then, you live in a community with a high precedence of religious people? I don't. :P)

None.

Jan 29 2009, 12:47 am MillenniumArmy Post #226

Yea, Texas. A very religious and right state (no pun intended ;))

None.

Jan 29 2009, 10:48 am Kellimus Post #227

Quote from CecilSunkure
Quote from Kellimus
Quote from Norm
Quote from Syphon
This just in: Non religious people can have different beliefs. There's a reason that atheism isn't a religion: because not all atheists believe the same things.

and don't forget that some can have no beliefs =)
Why these religious folk lumpin us together man?

Cause religious folk are ignorant tools.

Having no belief is impossible. No matter WHAT, everyone has a worldview, and the "I dont have a worldview" claim really is a claim to "I dont care to worry about prescribing to a certain worldview", which is itself a worldview. And all atheist don't believe in a god, which is why you are lumped together (it is not just those religious people that "lump" you into a category). And even if you don't think atheism is a religion, it is still a worldview just like any other religion.

What if I think that you are an ignorant tool? Don't make unsupported and demeaning claims.

How is it unsupported? If you believe in religion, you're a tool to religious beliefs. You're having someone ELSE tell YOU how to THINK.

That's being an ignorant tool.

None.

Jan 29 2009, 11:04 am Kellimus Post #228

Quote from Falkoner

Because I am a Mormon, and I only went to church until I was eight. Then realized how hypocritical religion is, then went atheist. Then was proven to me that the creator exists, so now I'm spiritual.

I can play any 'card' I want cause I've 'been there done that'.

Christianity essentially is full of hypocrisy, just look at the Crusades.

None.

Jan 29 2009, 12:58 pm Syphon Post #229

Quote from Kellimus
Quote from Falkoner

Because I am a Mormon, and I only went to church until I was eight. Then realized how hypocritical religion is, then went atheist. Then was proven to me that the creator exists, so now I'm spiritual.

1. Call a religion hypocritical, justify atheism with this.
2. Accept a creator God, become religious with no particular denomination.

Do you see the irony? (Hint, it's that you're the hypocrite.)

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jan 30 2009, 12:15 am by Syphon.

None.

Jan 29 2009, 9:13 pm Jello-Jigglers Post #230

I voted ____ Because I can't just pick one. I have faith, it appeals to me, and I've had personal experience.

ps kellimus, your "Christianity is all hypocritical because of the crusades" is a pretty lame excuse for an argument... Pretty stereotypical and uneducated judgment.

None.

Jan 29 2009, 9:35 pm ClansAreForGays Post #231

If your atheism stemmed from, and was grounded in disgust in christian hypocrisy, then you were never truly and atheist.

It's kinda like hearing a self professed 'atheist' saying "I hate God! Why does He care what I do? Fuck Him!" The first thing that pop into my mind is 1 John 2:19 these stupid people are easily converted, and go onto to testify that they were once an atheist too. To which I say "They went out from us, but they did not really belong to us"

Atheists have just as much shame, if not more shame, as Christians do when seeing the least of their kind being the most vocal.

Jan 31 2009, 12:34 am Kellimus Post #232

Quote from Syphon
Quote from Kellimus
Quote from Falkoner

1. Call a religion hypocritical, justify atheism with this.
2. Accept a creator God, become religious with no particular denomination.

Do you see the irony? (Hint, it's that you're the hypocrite.)

So I'm a hypocrite because I can see that having someone tell you what to believe in is being an ignorant individual? And I'm a hypocrite because I'm spiritual, do not believe in Christ or Christianity? Wow Syphon, you need to learn to debate the topic at hand, not just Ad Hominem Abusive someone you don't agree with.

And yes, I'm technically still Mormon. I have not been 'ex-communicated'. I think the Mormon religion, and all other Christian-based faiths are quite wrong in the way of them TELLING ME HOW TO THINK, AND WHAT TO BELIEVE IN, AND THREATENING MY EXISTENCE TO KEEP ME UNDER THEIR RULE.

I'm not mindless, and can think for myself. Does that make me hypocritical? No. Its called not being an ignorant slave to religion and knowing how to think for myself.

Quote from Jello-Jigglers
I voted ____ Because I can't just pick one. I have faith, it appeals to me, and I've had personal experience.

ps kellimus, your "Christianity is all hypocritical because of the crusades" is a pretty lame excuse for an argument... Pretty stereotypical and uneducated judgment.

How is it a lame excuse for an argument? Just look at the Crusades. Its all hypocritical nonsense from the Dark Ages, and from Kings (who were really being controlled by the CHRISTIAN CHURCH) who sent people away to die for HYPOCRISY.

From what I was always told while attending a Christian-Based faith, we're supposed to love one another and not kill each other and the rest of those 'commandments from god'. The Crusades didn't follow ANY of the 'ten commandments' so how is it a 'lame excuse for an argument' to bring out the fact that CHRISTIANITY WAGED WAR ON THE ISLAMIC FAITH TO 'PURGE THE HOLY LAND' OF INFIDELS? Which is AGAINST CHRISTIAN BELIEFS?

Again. How is that a 'lame excuse for an argument' when it shows how Christianity is based off of hypocrisy and lies?

None.

Jan 31 2009, 3:36 am MillenniumArmy Post #233

For things like the crusades, wars, "evils," etc all which claim to be rooted from religion, what is the cause to all those? The religious teachings themselves? Or because of PEOPLE who twist religious teachings?

There's a difference between claiming that a certain religion does, teaches, or is something and claiming that certain people of a religion does, teaches, or is something. As Gandhi once said, "I like your Jesus, but I don't like your Christians. They are very unlike your Jesus Christ."

None.

Jan 31 2009, 3:44 am Doodan Post #234

What about all the wild and crazy shit that went on in the Old Testament?

None.

Jan 31 2009, 3:49 am MasterJohnny Post #235

If there was no religion to twist, all would be better.

I am a Mathematician

Jan 31 2009, 3:51 am Kellimus Post #236

For things like the crusades, wars, "evils," etc all which claim to be rooted from religion, what is the cause to all those? The religious teachings themselves? Or because of PEOPLE who twist religious teachings?

There's a difference between claiming that a certain religion does, teaches, or is something and claiming that certain people of a religion does, teaches, or is something. As Gandhi once said, "I like your Jesus, but I don't like your Christians. They are very unlike your Jesus Christ."

That's my point.. Why try to force beliefs on those when it doesn't follow the teachings of your prophet?

None.

Jan 31 2009, 3:53 am MillenniumArmy Post #237

How do you define the "wild and crazy shit" that went on in the Old Testament? Who deems it's "wild and crazy shit?" As I've mentioned in another thread, interpretations such as mine see what the main point of the messages were despite such harsh language. Then there are others who only see the "bad" stuff in the passages. It's all interpretation. So whose right?

The point is, there really is no such thing as religion does, is, or teaches something. It's all people. Whether it's good, or bad, it's all people who decide how to utilize what is there. It's as if we're given a gun. We can use it for good purposes, yet we can also use it for bad purposes. Jesus and other Biblical prophets have shown us their teachings, it is up to use how to use it best (and of course, the teachings were meant to be for good purposes but as we all know, sometimes it doesn't turn out that way.)

None.

Jan 31 2009, 3:57 am MillenniumArmy Post #238

Quote from MasterJohnny
Using that logic, we should just get rid of everything which people can twist. Money, politics, greed, culture, racism, weapons, technology, food, land, laws, even our own government.

None.

Jan 31 2009, 3:59 am MasterJohnny Post #239

Quote from MasterJohnny
Using that logic, we should just get rid of everything which people can twist. Money, politics, greed, culture, racism, weapons, technology, food, land, laws, even our own government.
Some of those things have good benefits. I just don't see how religion could be good. I can only see it as something people twist for evil otherwise it remains in a neutral state.

I am a Mathematician

Jan 31 2009, 4:04 am Kellimus Post #240

How do you define the "wild and crazy shit" that went on in the Old Testament? Who deems it's "wild and crazy shit?" As I've mentioned in another thread, interpretations such as mine see what the main point of the messages were despite such harsh language. Then there are others who only see the "bad" stuff in the passages. It's all interpretation. So whose right?

The point is, there really is no such thing as religion does, is, or teaches something. It's all people. Whether it's good, or bad, it's all people who decide how to utilize what is there. It's as if we're given a gun. We can use it for good purposes, yet we can also use it for bad purposes. Jesus and other Biblical prophets have shown us their teachings, it is up to use how to use it best (and of course, the teachings were meant to be for good purposes but as we all know, sometimes it doesn't turn out that way.)

Then wouldn't you agree that its absolutely ridiculous for people in religion to deem me a heathen since I don't believe in Christ?

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 « 10 11 12 13 >
  Back to forum