Staredit Network > Forums > Technology & Computers > Topic: Building a $1k Gaming Rig
Building a $1k Gaming Rig
Dec 28 2008, 3:52 am
By: Hercanic  

Dec 29 2008, 8:05 pm Hercanic Post #21

STF mod creator, Modcrafters.com admin, CampaignCreations.org staff

Ah, cool. What is the top and front mesh like?

It'll fit a 140mm fan at the bottom? Nice.

What sort of fans did you get?

The fan placement under the motherboard seemed really interesting. I am wondering if something like this or this would be good there, since they have metal frames that could conduct some heat off the motherboard.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Dec 29 2008, 8:42 pm by Hercanic.

Dec 29 2008, 9:38 pm Excalibur Post #22

The sword and the faith

I got 1x 140mm Yate Loon High Speed and 4x Yate Loon 120mm High Speeds. Newegg doesn't carry them, Jabtech does. If you care about noise, I wouldn't recommend them as they are pretty loud, but as I am always listening to music, I don't really notice/mind it. Also the 140mm was only possible because my power supply was a pretty small one (The RC690 uses a bottom mounted PSU design.). Larger ones may block the bottom vent and will make it so you cannot fit such a large fan in that bottom vent.

If I had to recommend NewEgg fans, I'd go with these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185060

As for the mesh, it's pretty cool looking, but being that the RC690 was my first and only build so far, I can't really comment on if it helps temps that much. I think between the mesh and the amount of large high speed fans I have, temps will never be a problem.

SEN Global Moderator and Resident Zealot
-------------------------
The sword and the faith.

:ex:
Sector 12
My stream, live PC building and tech discussion.

Jan 1 2009, 11:04 pm Syphon Post #23

Quote from name:isolatedpurity
Quote from Syphon
Ditch the case, buy a heat exchange, an aquarium, and a lot of mineral oil, and build a submersion cooled rig. The do the rest, and overclock the every-loving shit out of it.
Is that practical?

Ya it's practical, if you want to put a bit more precision into building the actual machine, anyways.

Quote from Centreri
Syphon or Falk... show us your respective aquarium computers :omfg:.

We don't have them, doesn't mean it's not the best way to go. :P

Quote from MasterJohnny
wait wouldn't mineral oil make a bad heat dissipation thing? and your computer would eventually overheat? (cause i dont think a heat exchanger would be good enough?)
(BUT IT LOOKS SO COOL :) )

No, it works. (The computer's temperature raises steadily, then reaches a peak and just stays there, so there's 0 heat stress on the components.)

None.

Jan 1 2009, 11:54 pm Falkoner Post #24

We don't have them, doesn't mean it's not the best way to go. :P

I never said I didn't have one :shifty:

The reason why you use mineral oil instead of water, even though it doesn't release heat as well, is because mineral oil holds heat well, like water, but unlike water it doesn't boil at a low temperature, so you won't have any problems with that.

None.

Jan 2 2009, 3:10 am Syphon Post #25

The main reason you use mineral oil instead of water is because it doesn't conduct electricty, or auto-ionise. :P

None.

Options
  Back to forum