Dec 20 2008, 3:38 am
By: scwizard
Pages: < 1 2 3 45 >

Dec 20 2008, 5:49 pm Biophysicist Post #21

Quote from Ahli
First of all: GL on this.

I hope that your editors will support some of the following abilities:
-fully EUD support
-text based triggers (maybe same syntax like scmdraft's syntax) (allows everyone to save all triggers and write all triggers with text programs, even EUD triggers)
-ability to save maps with more than 1024 strings (can/should be another format)
-ability to delete all location names to use up less Strings (Starcraft doesn't use the location names to use it, I guess they use an index number; maybe support direct index number input, if that is possible)

Text triggers are a must, I agree.

We could easily do the index number input... The way I'd do it would be you press Control-L (L for "Location") while in the trigger editor, type a number, then press L again, and the number is replaced by the name of the location. (Eg. if I named Location 0 "Detect", while in the text trigger editor I'd press Control-L, then 0, then L, and the 0 would be replaced with "Detect".) EUDs might or might not be easy, I've never understood how to use them...

How would you increase the string limit?

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Dec 20 2008, 5:49 pm by TassadarZeratul. Reason: Page 2 is mine.

None.

Dec 20 2008, 5:57 pm Demented Shaman Post #22

Since this is going to be all modular why not just make them as plugins for scmdraft?

None.

Dec 20 2008, 8:36 pm scwizard Post #23

Quote from Ahli
First of all: GL on this.

I hope that your editors will support some of the following abilities:
-fully EUD support
-text based triggers (maybe same syntax like scmdraft's syntax) (allows everyone to save all triggers and write all triggers with text programs, even EUD triggers)
-ability to save maps with more than 1024 strings (can/should be another format)
-ability to delete all location names to use up less Strings (Starcraft doesn't use the location names to use it, I guess they use an index number; maybe support direct index number input, if that is possible)

I hope you will be successfull with this.
SCM draft having problems like this is my motivation for starting this thing.

Quote from name:Mayor
Since this is going to be all modular why not just make them as plugins for scmdraft?
I'm not exactly sure how that would work, but it would most likely be unnecessarily restrictive, as well as have the possibility to inherit SCMDraft's problems.

I much prefer the infinite freedom and possibility of independent and open source programs.
Also I really understand the plugin system. Where is it well documented? What advantages does it grant me?
The guy who made trigedit classic worked closely with SI iirc. I don't want to be dependent on SI.

@TassadarZeratul: Constructors shouldn't be public, that's the mistake you made in your signature code. If there's more mistakes than that then I really need to brush up on my Java. (also don't be a dick, just tell him what the mistakes are instead of being like "lol ur a n00b")

Also stop worrying you'll mess up everything until you've actually coded something.

Finally you should actually pick a module, and then read up on pieces relevant to that module in this article: http://www.staredit.net/wiki/scenario.chk_format

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Dec 20 2008, 8:46 pm by scwizard.

None.

Dec 20 2008, 8:44 pm Conspiracy Post #24

I would love to help, but I know nothing of any programming language, so unless you could teach me some (I pick up on things real fast), then I could help.

Other than that, I can do testing, and suggestions for the whole thing. To bad someone can't remake Starcraft to raise the limits, and raise the bar on the possibilities ;P.

I would suggest making your program compatible with mods. SCMDraft does this, by loading up the MPQ you tell it to load. Would that be simple enough?

None.

Dec 20 2008, 8:49 pm scwizard Post #25

Quote from name:Epoch
I would love to help, but I know nothing of any programming language, so unless you could teach me some (I pick up on things real fast), then I could help.

Other than that, I can do testing, and suggestions for the whole thing. To bad someone can't remake Starcraft to raise the limits, and raise the bar on the possibilities ;P.

Make your program compatible with mods. SCMDraft does this, by loading up the MPQ you tell it to load. Would that be simple enough?
I won't teach you how to program from scratch, but if you truly are a fast learner then you should be able to pick up a language yourself pretty fast. Once you have an understanding of the basic syntax, language features, and can actually compile something I'll be happy to start helping you out.

None.

Dec 20 2008, 8:54 pm Conspiracy Post #26

Quote from scwizard
Quote from name:Epoch

Make your program compatible with mods. SCMDraft does this, by loading up the MPQ you tell it to load. Would that be simple enough?
I won't teach you how to program from scratch, but if you truly are a fast learner then you should be able to pick up a language yourself pretty fast. Once you have an understanding of the basic syntax, language features, and can actually compile something I'll be happy to start helping you out.

Just point me in the right direction on where I can teach myself, and I can do it in my spare time :P

None.

Dec 20 2008, 9:18 pm scwizard Post #27

http://www.google.com

Just search for tutorials on the language of your choice. If you have any further questions related to such matters google can probably answer them.

None.

Dec 20 2008, 10:01 pm A_of-s_t Post #28

aka idmontie

Quote from scwizard
Ok here's the deal. I think we should make a new map editor. SCMDraft is great and all, but there is a lot of room for improvement.

Now making a full fledged editor by yourself is a very difficult task, so I thought the community could come together and do it modularly. Each person could make a different editor, and each editor would edit a different portion of the map. For instance one person could make a terrain editor. Another could make a trigger editor. This way people can focus on doing one thing right (for example the person making the mission briefing editor might be able to add in a preview function) instead of trying to do everything.

Why not just create a skeleton editor that allows poeple to just addon to, something like BWAPI?

Personal GitHub
Starcraft GitHub Organization - Feel free to request member status!
TwitchTV

Dec 20 2008, 10:08 pm scwizard Post #29

Quote from A_of-s_t
Why not just create a skeleton editor that allows poeple to just addon to, something like BWAPI?
Because then things would be overly dependent on the skeleton editor. I'm trying to have a decentralized project here.

None.

Dec 20 2008, 10:20 pm A_of-s_t Post #30

aka idmontie

Quote from scwizard
Quote from A_of-s_t
Because then things would be overly dependent on the skeleton editor. I'm trying to have a decentralized project here.
An all in one editor would be the best way of doing this. No one wants to have to shuffle through programs to make a simple map.

Make a subwindow that displays what the user asks for in a menu/toolbar system. Anyone can simply addon to the menu and shove their own code in it. Easy, simple, done.

Personal GitHub
Starcraft GitHub Organization - Feel free to request member status!
TwitchTV

Dec 20 2008, 10:21 pm Biophysicist Post #31

I still think a "home screen" would be good so that you can load the various modules from one place.

Oh, what is this going to be called? If you don't have a name yet, I'd recommend SENDraft.

None.

Dec 20 2008, 10:35 pm scwizard Post #32

Quote from A_of-s_t
Quote from scwizard
Quote from A_of-s_t
An all in one editor would be the best way of doing this. No one wants to have to shuffle through programs to make a simple map.

Make a subwindow that displays what the user asks for in a menu/toolbar system. Anyone can simply addon to the menu and shove their own code in it. Easy, simple, done.
Yes, obviously having everything together would produce a superior map editor in theory. However having the project centralized like that would ultimately lead to stagnation. After we get enough of these little programs we can work on centralizing them, but if we try something centralized from the get go then if that center fails for some reason we're left with nothing.

Quote from name:TassadarZeratul
I still think a "home screen" would be good so that you can load the various modules from one place.
Oh, what is this going to be called? If you don't have a name yet, I'd recommend SENDraft.
Something like that may be developed, by me or another person. However the modules shouldn't depend on it, focus on making the best module you can and leave the connecting of them for a future project.

None.

Dec 20 2008, 11:19 pm Elvang Post #33

Is one of the goals of this to be cross platform? Might also be helpful if a single person plans out how the GUI for each section looks so its somewhat standardized.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Dec 21 2008, 12:23 am by Elvang.

None.

Dec 21 2008, 12:42 am scwizard Post #34

Cross platform is not one of the goals. Also a single person is not going to be planning out anything for reasons already mentioned.

Imposing standardized GUIs and cross platformness would make the programmer's jobs harder and discourage participation.

None.

Dec 21 2008, 2:32 am Elvang Post #35

I might be able to help with this. I'm assuming when we open the maps we have to use a library to extract/read the .chk section from the mpq, but from what I've read there are only libraries with functions for reading mpqs but not writing... Also can't find any info that would let me attempt to make my own functions for writing to an mpq (probably beyond my ability), anyone have some useful links that would help prepare someone to make an editor?

None.

Dec 21 2008, 3:09 am Doodle77 Post #36

Quote from Elvang
I might be able to help with this. I'm assuming when we open the maps we have to use a library to extract/read the .chk section from the mpq, but from what I've read there are only libraries with functions for reading mpqs but not writing... Also can't find any info that would let me attempt to make my own functions for writing to an mpq (probably beyond my ability), anyone have some useful links that would help prepare someone to make an editor?
http://shadowflare.samods.org/dwnload.html#SFmpqapi

None.

Dec 21 2008, 3:11 am Biophysicist Post #37

Why would we have to write to an mpq? Map != mpq... Right?

I'm failing to see how having a home screen causes everything to fail if it breaks... It's just a menu that provides an easy way to open the other modules.

None.

Dec 21 2008, 3:28 am poiuy_qwert Post #38

PyMS and ProTRG developer

Actually a map is the chk+wavs in an mpq.

Dec 21 2008, 8:42 am Elvang Post #39

Thanks for the link Doodle. I've been messing around with it for a bit now using Inside MoPaQ as a guide, and I can't figure out how to get the names of the files inside the mpq so I can actually open the scenario.chk file. I'm assuming I'm supposed to use
SFileListFiles(MPQHANDLE hMPQ, LPCSTR lpFileLists, FILELISTENTRY *lpListBuffer, DWORD dwFlags);
except I can't find any info on what I use for parameter 2 and 3, other than that the FILELISTENTRY structure is related.

Also, when I open the map with MpqEditor it lists the 4 files as unk00001-unk00003 and (listfile). In this case unk00002 is the scenario.chk file, but is it the same for every map? If it is then no need to use SFileListFiles to get the names.

EDIT: Figured out how to use SFileListFiles somewhat, can just use staredit\scenario.chk as the filename to open it every time.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Dec 21 2008, 9:11 am by Elvang.

None.

Dec 21 2008, 5:44 pm scwizard Post #40

Quote from name:TassadarZeratul
Why would we have to write to an mpq? Map != mpq... Right?

I'm failing to see how having a home screen causes everything to fail if it breaks... It's just a menu that provides an easy way to open the other modules.
Fine, I'll consider whipping up something of that soft at some point, but only until at least three modules have been released.

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 45 >
  Back to forum