Community map editor project
Dec 20 2008, 3:38 am
By: scwizard
Pages: < 1 « 3 4 5

Jan 4 2009, 7:29 pm scwizard Post #81

Quote from Generalpie
i forgot to add something...
a location editor that allows you to "punch out" unwanted squares on locations
This is impossible. A location is required to be a whole rectangle.

None.

Jan 4 2009, 7:30 pm Devourer Post #82

Hello

Quote from scwizard
Quote from Generalpie
i forgot to add something...
a location editor that allows you to "punch out" unwanted squares on locations
This is impossible. A location is required to be a whole rectangle.

what about my ideas?

Please report errors in the Staredit.Network forum.

Jan 4 2009, 9:05 pm scwizard Post #83

Quote from Devourer
I did not read eevrything so I'm not sure if all those features will be avaible...
but here is what I have a mind:
  • Grid SCMD has this, it's important
  • Perma Location SCMD has this, it's important
  • Perma "can be placed here?" [just the grey spots when you select a ground unit and want to place it] sure I guess...
  • Display TERRAIN only easy to implement, make sure to bug visible section developers about this
  • Display DOODADS only see above
  • Display UNITS only see above
  • A windows where the exact unit sizes are displayed (for inverted locations) ... sure, why not .-.
  • Just for terrain-check, so you can check if a unit can past "there". maybe you place a unit, and then you can select it, and "order" it somewhere. So you can check if the unit can get past small terrain parts or not. that would stop all the ingame tests extremely difficult to implement, unlikely to be included in anything
  • string editor like in SCMdraft I plan on working on a string editor program (right after my current one actually), it'll be leaps and bounds beyond SCMdraft's fail. Don't count on me delivering until after I release something though.
  • WAV Editor with all stardat.mpq wavs ofc. and high/med/low/no compression for self-imported ones .-.
  • That you can click on the editor-screen while the trigger-editor is opend, so you can add units/locations while it is opend ehh, I don't think you quite get the nature of this project...
  • display all parametres in triggers in a costum color I dunno
  • trigger count easy to implement, bug whoever does the trigger editor
  • string count will be part of that string editor I mentioned about
  • locaiton count I think SCMD has this, probably a lot of the other count stuff to
  • location editor (just displays a "minimap" and a block for each location. there is a list next to the minimap with all placed location listed. click on one of them and that block will be markes as green I dunno
  • a compress-editor so you can erase unused unit-names (if they are set, but not needed in triggers/ingame), unused location, "never" triggers, comments, and location names kind of outside the scope, also don't compressors already exist?
  • Map-Protector with password-protection :) I certainly won't make anything of the sort
  • allow illegal doodad placement SCMD does this
  • ofc the copy/cut/paste function shouldn't be missed they aren't in SCMD
  • a function which always deletes flags, which would crash if you click on it wut
  • a function which erases each unit, which cause crashes when game starts k .-.
  • Maybe an "addon" for the trigger editor: just an input field named "hyper triggers" if you tick it hyper triggers automatly will be added, if not, they'll be removed
  • a string-color-codes addon, which shows which color IS what color in what section (like "green" in map-title is red etc.) My string editor should have a string preview functionality that should cover this
  • Map-Zoom (best: costum) kind of tricksy maybe, I dunno
  • a Tech/upgrades extra button: Make all Techs researched/ all upgrades max, and would be cool if there are buttons like these for each single race .-.
  • an "ingame-screen" so you can look how it would look like ingame (console etc.) hmm interesting, what would this be useful for?
  • maybe jsut some extended terrains which are pre-done (like a high cliff x2 [from falko ;)]) so you can place it as a "doodad" SCMD has this (I think, you can import brushes right?)
  • doodad: convert to terrian function would be cool SCMD has this
  • In the tileset editor there should be a extra slot where a/the walkable-null-terrain is. SF has this. any sufficiently customizable interface would have this as an option
  • This may is hard to make, but maybe a "balance checker" it compares each dmg/armor/hp of the selected units and they will tell you if all are blanaced or if there is a unit which would be to good I'm not sure how such a thing would work tbh
That's all I have in mind at the moment. I hope there are things in it which you gonna add.
Thanks for reading, hope that helps.
These are just my opinion. For most of the sections you mention, the chances of me doing work on them are incredibly low.

If you want progress to be made on some kind of visible sections editor you should bug farty.

ehh, I don't think you quite get the nature of this project...
What I'm saying here is that this isn't one global map editor, but a bunch of little mapping tools. So the trigger editor and terrain editor will likely be different programs.

Eventually the tools might be consolidated, but that's so far in the future that you shouldn't worry about it yet.

None.

Jan 4 2009, 9:12 pm Devourer Post #84

Hello

# ofc the copy/cut/paste function shouldn't be missed they aren't in SCMD
lol? they are in SCMDraft...

and what does .-. mean?

Please report errors in the Staredit.Network forum.

Jan 4 2009, 9:15 pm scwizard Post #85

Quote from Devourer
# ofc the copy/cut/paste function shouldn't be missed they aren't missed in SCMD
lol? they are in SCMDraft...
(a bit of clarification on my part)
I can copy and paste units in SCMD. I don't get quite what you're referring to.

Quote from Devourer
and what does .-. mean?
I dunno, it's just a face I make.

None.

Jan 9 2009, 6:27 am scwizard Post #86

It seems that my offers of cookies and assistance in programming related matters aren't enough to get people exciting about developing mapping tools.

Only one person other than myself, A_of-s_t, said they planned on contributing. And A_of-s_t seems to have disappeared.

None.

Jan 9 2009, 7:26 pm poiuy_qwert Post #87

PyMS and ProTRG developer

You should just do it yourself. It seems way harder to do this community map editor then it would be to just create an open source map editor yourself, and especially way harder on the mapper to deal with working on every part of the map in a different program. If you want something done, do it yourself, then once you have at least something to show people would be more inclined to contribute. No offense but, have you even started doing stuff? (you probably have but just checking) Anyway, I hope you don't take this post in a bad way, I don't mean it to be. Good luck!

Jan 10 2009, 1:25 am A_of-s_t Post #88

aka idmontie

I may have dissappeared, but I'm still working on it :P .

Personal GitHub
Starcraft GitHub Organization - Feel free to request member status!
TwitchTV

Jan 11 2009, 1:19 am Elvang Post #89

I just figured out what I was doing wrong in my test program, which incidentally was the last problem I was having (Turns out I was forgetting to offset some of my pointers by 8 to account for the header). So I can contribute now :)

Is there always a blank trigger in maps? In my test map I only put 2 triggers, but the section size indicates that there are 3 present...

Options
Pages: < 1 « 3 4 5
  Back to forum