Staredit Network > Forums > Modding Assistance > Topic: Yet another "TZ Asks random questions" thread
Yet another "TZ Asks random questions" thread
Dec 18 2008, 6:01 pm
By: Biophysicist  

Dec 18 2008, 6:01 pm Biophysicist Post #1

I have a few questions:

1. Is there a way to make Reavers/Hero Reavers use normal weapons instead of using Scarabs? If so, how does one do it?
2. Is there a way to make Carriers/Hero Carriers use normal weapons instead of using Intercepters? If so, how does one do it?
3. Is there a way to make Arbiters/Hero Arbiters not cloak nearby units? If so, how does one do it?
4. Is there a way to make extended units work normally? If so, how does one do it?
5. Is there a way to turn a video file into a portrait and use it in a mod? If so, how does one do it? (On a side note, what file format are portraits?)
6. Is there a way to detect if a particular unit's HP is at a certain point? (I'd assume EUDs, but I don't think EUDs would work in a mod unless you re-calculated all the offsets.) If so, how does one do it?
7. Is there a way to make TassadarZeratul stop being a noob and stop making nooby threads? If so, how does one do it?

None.

Dec 18 2008, 6:08 pm ForTheSwarm Post #2

1. Probably. Give them a regular weapon and iscript.
2. Same as above.
3. I don't know.
4. I don't think so.
5. Portraits are .smk.
6. EUD only.
7. By kiilling him.

None.

Dec 18 2008, 6:17 pm Pigy_G Post #3

7. Is there a way to make TassadarZeratul stop being a noob and stop making nooby threads? If so, how does one do it?

Impossible.

None.

Dec 18 2008, 6:21 pm Fyrinite Post #4

First three have a lot of hardcoded stuff. But, if you change the orders in units.dat and do the rest of what was mentioned, you might get the attacks working. As for the cloaking, why not just use a different unit and give it the rest of the spells the arbiter has?

When you say extended units, what are you meaning? (I can think of a couple of meanings for it...so I want to know which one you mean before I try to answer.)

For portraits, you'll need the Old Smacker Tools. That's about all I can help you out with on that one, i haven't ever really touched portraits.

EUD's are about it for the health. For it to work for any unit at any time, you'll need 1700 triggers just to do it. And that's before I remember if there's a restriction on what you can/can't read...

None.

Dec 18 2008, 7:11 pm poiuy_qwert Post #5

PyMS and ProTRG developer

Extended units will never be able to work correctly without lots of reverse engineering to find out what they do. They are really unstable since all they are is values that are bigger then SC expects, causing buffer overflow into unknown (unless you research it) places in the memory.

The health thing could be done with EUD's, but thats very cumbersome as DoA said. The other way would be through plugins. I could write you a MPQDraft plugin for it sometime if you (and maybe others) really needed it.

Dec 18 2008, 7:55 pm Biophysicist Post #6

Quote from name:DiscipleOfAdun
First three have a lot of hardcoded stuff. But, if you change the orders in units.dat and do the rest of what was mentioned, you might get the attacks working. As for the cloaking, why not just use a different unit and give it the rest of the spells the arbiter has?
I don't need the Arbiter spells, I need the Arbiter's unit slot. I need 158 units defined for my mod, believe it or not. That's why I wanted to make those units work normally.
When you say extended units, what are you meaning? (I can think of a couple of meanings for it...so I want to know which one you mean before I try to answer.)
Extended units will never be able to work correctly without lots of reverse engineering to find out what they do. They are really unstable since all they are is values that are bigger then SC expects, causing buffer overflow into unknown (unless you research it) places in the memory.
I mean things like Aldaris's unit or the Independent Starport. If you could make things like the Jump Gate or the Independent Command Center work normally, that would be even epicer win, but I think Aldaris and DuGalle and stuff would be enough. I don't mean the sort of "units' you use in EUDs... Sorry, should have specified that.

(Basically, I'm asking if I can use the units that you can place in SCMDraft/Starforge but not in StarEdit as normal units without weird spooky voodoo stuff happening.)

For portraits, you'll need the Old Smacker Tools. That's about all I can help you out with on that one, i haven't ever really touched portraits.
Thanks. I'll Google it.

EUD's are about it for the health. For it to work for any unit at any time, you'll need 1700 triggers just to do it. And that's before I remember if there's a restriction on what you can/can't read...
I'm trying to make the Overcruiser units say stuff when they get shot at. (If you haven't read my Biophysics thread, there are three Overcruiser units, and each player controls exactly one. If a player's Overcruiser dies, they are eliminated.) Does that help?

Thanks guys.

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Dec 18 2008, 7:57 pm by TassadarZeratul. Reason: The voices told me too...

None.

Dec 18 2008, 7:58 pm ForTheSwarm Post #7

Quote from name:TassadarZeratul
I mean things like Aldaris's unit or the Independent Starport. If you could make things like the Jump Gate or the Independent Command Center work normally, that would be even epicer win, but I think Aldaris and DuGalle and stuff would be enough. I don't mean the sort of "units' you use in EUDs... Sorry, should have specified that.

(Basically, I'm asking if I can use the units that you can place in SCMDraft/Starforge but not in StarEdit as normal units without weird spooky voodoo stuff happening.)

Some of them can definitely work normally if given button-sets in Firegraft. However, some of them crash the game when looked at.

I'm trying to make the Overcruiser units say stuff when they get shot at. (If you haven't read my Biophysics thread, there are three Overcruiser units, and each player controls exactly one. If a player's Overcruiser dies, they are eliminated.) Does that help?

Isn't there already "you are under attack"?

None.

Dec 18 2008, 8:06 pm Biophysicist Post #8

Quote from ForTheSwarm
Quote from name:TassadarZeratul

Some of them can definitely work normally if given button-sets in Firegraft. However, some of them crash the game when looked at.
I thought that they only crashed because they had a weird graphic?

Isn't there already "you are under attack"?
Yes, but I'd like to give the Overcruisers special quotes. I need the "Forces are under attack" slot for when your units are being attacked, and the "Base is under attack" slot for when your asteroids are being attacked. So I can't use one of those for when the Overcruiser gets attacked. Plus, it's a very important unit, so I'd like to give the player a bit more detail about it's status then can be conveyed then just playing a noise when it gets attacked. (Namely, I'd like a noise for when it's shields go down, one for when it hits 75% HP, one for when it hits 50% HP, one for when it hits 25% HP, and one for when it's at 10% HP.)

The health thing could be done with EUD's, but thats very cumbersome as DoA said. The other way would be through plugins. I could write you a MPQDraft plugin for it sometime if you (and maybe others) really needed it.
That would be superspecialawesomesauce if you could do that, but probably not that useful outside of this mod.

Quote from Pigy_G

Impossible.
Darn it... So I'm /another/ unit slot in the hole? Someone needs to make a non-noobify TZ plugin. Preferably one that works IRL.

Post has been edited 3 time(s), last time on Dec 18 2008, 8:20 pm by TassadarZeratul. Reason: Oh btw, you guys are win.

None.

Dec 18 2008, 8:21 pm poiuy_qwert Post #9

PyMS and ProTRG developer

Quote from name:TZ

Oh, those arn't extended units.... They are like any other unit except they are unused normally.

Dec 18 2008, 9:03 pm Fyrinite Post #10

If you're going on percents for the HP, you can edit the melee triggers to do what you need. Even if you did go with EUD's, you could cut it down to about 30-40 probably depending on how the map is made. Either normal triggers or a plugin would be better though.

The extended units you're talking about will work if you set them up properly. Graphics, orders, and buttons are the main reasons they don't work.

None.

Dec 18 2008, 9:06 pm Biophysicist Post #11

If you're going on percents for the HP, you can edit the melee triggers to do what you need.
You can do that? How? I thought there was no way to read HP without EUDs...

None.

Dec 18 2008, 10:04 pm Fyrinite Post #12

bleh, forgot which side the function was on. that's what I get for treating conditions/actions the same. plugin it is.

None.

Dec 19 2008, 2:44 am Hercanic Post #13

STF mod creator, Modcrafters.com admin, CampaignCreations.org staff

Arbiter cloaking is from its AI settings in Units.dat. Just set them to "Guard" instead of "Initiate Arbiter Cloaking". And in FireGraft, there is an EXE edit where you can change which units are uncloakable (normally set to the Arbiter, Arbiter Hero, and Nuke).

Options
  Back to forum