Staredit Network > Forums > Serious Discussion > Topic: "Read the bible to believe god exists?"
"Read the bible to believe god exists?"
Dec 10 2008, 6:46 am
By: KrayZee
Pages: < 1 « 7 8 9 10 1122 >

Dec 31 2008, 12:00 am MillenniumArmy Post #161

Quote from HolySin
Why would a loving God use death to show the importance of something or as a tool of motivation? To me, the passages look like scare tactics such that telling the reader to obey words at the cost of a life, which is perhaps the harshest and unreasonable punishment for things like working on the sabbath or disobedience. Are these simply the words of very early philosophers, rather than the word of a God?
Like I said the word of God is simply saying this:
"Obey your elders."
and this:
Sundays should be a day to worship God
The author of these books (Moses) know that these words of God are very important. And so they have their own way of describing it. God himself isn't using death as a method to get his point across. Like we've discussed earlier, the "tones" is a bit outdated and such an attitude is inapplicable today, but the messages still remain unscathed.

While you were responding to my post, i edited it by adding in a segment saying what I think would happen if we disobeyed such laws. I would also like to add that I believe both Moses and people today (or for ANY time period or society) believe the spiritual, relational consequences to be the same. That is probably the primary emphasis to what Moses was saying.

None.

Dec 31 2008, 12:09 am HolySin Post #162

So God in this case is the underlying message behind the crude wording of the author? Are these people too incapable of coming up with these morals themselves? Hell, at the age of six I knew it was in my best interest to respect my parents, not to kill, and other things that keep me out of trouble without the Bible. Perhaps I can gain a better understanding of your belief if you tell me what exactly God is in your opinion.

None.

Dec 31 2008, 12:16 am MillenniumArmy Post #163

If the Bible flew down from the sky and literally had the fingerprints of God and only God, things would be much much easier :P. However I believe God to be of a being that exists outside of our physical/earthly/materialistic senses (hence why people can't physically prove God exists. If such a feat were plausible, then IMHO God wouldn't be called God).

The relevance of God and/or the author's word to our morals now becomes a different issue altogether. A new topic should be made, because we've seriously been going off topic (shame on me :().

None.

Dec 31 2008, 12:37 am HolySin Post #164

We're testing whether or not reading the Bible helps us believe there is (or isn't) a God, right? ["Read the bible to believe god exists?"] If I come up with my own morals that tend to be the same as the Bible—but without actually reading the Bible—then does reading the Bible support believing in a God, or does it mean that I have common sense (like don't murder, don't commit adultery, etc.)? I don't believe questioning the relationship between our morals and the words of the Bible is necessarily off topic.

None.

Dec 31 2008, 12:59 am MillenniumArmy Post #165

KrayZee brought up this topic to discuss how he is displeased with the fact that there are christians out there who do not believe in science or evolution and how they always resort to "reading the bible" in their stances and everything, which is completely different from what we've been talking about for the past 20 or so posts.. This topic wasn't about the Bible and it's teachings itself, but the relevance the Bible had in the whole science religion clash (which IMO shouldn't even exist) hence the quotations in the thread title.

You asked what God is in my opinion. What I can do is PM it to you, perhaps it'll satisfy your want of having a better understanding of my belief.

None.

Dec 31 2008, 1:05 am Doodan Post #166

How does anyone who's pro-Bible seriously believe that God made the writers write it? Couldn't the authors have easily claimed that they were getting their orders from God just to sound more impressive? I can do that. I bet you money that if I wrote a book that provided supernatural explanations for historical events, claimed that some kind of God told me so, and then campaigned and advertised heavily, I would pick up a few genuine believers. If the book came from God himself, that would make things "too easy," you say. Doesn't that just sound like a human author imploring that the reader probe no deeper?

I think the reason why people are attracted to religion as a moral center instead of plain common sense/empathy is because they need to believe that some supernatural being cares and will reward them for good behavior. A lot of religious people I know literally believe that God and Satan are having a war for their soul. How conceited, I must say, to believe that universe-altering beings are doing battle for your inner-most thoughts. I call that the narcissism of the everyman. Being good for no reason is too much to ask of most people, hence religion. On that note, I concede that religion might be a necessary evil in the world. Most people would be reduced to beasts if they weren't afraid of invisible characters judging them all the time. How brilliant of religion to take advantage of that primal self interest and convince everyone that the cosmos actually gives a flip about their personal successes. What puzzles me (and many others) is why do people that are intelligent enough to know better still need this ancient and agenda-laden code of morals when their own brains are good enough? Do they, too, need the ego stroking from God that the people who don't get the chance to really think about these sorts of things need?

In my opinion, if there is a God out there, it doesn't care about human affairs. On the flip side, I think that if there is a God, it's also possible that every detail (good, bad, boring, interesting, important, mundane) has been predetermined, and we're just living them out like characters in a finished story. Or there's no God.

None.

Dec 31 2008, 1:15 am HolySin Post #167

Quote from MillenniumArmy
KrayZee brought up this topic to discuss how he is displeased with the fact that there are christians out there who do not believe in science or evolution and how they always resort to "reading the bible" in their stances and everything, which is completely different from what we've been talking about for the past 20 or so posts.. This topic wasn't about the Bible and it's teachings itself, but the relevance the Bible had in the whole science religion clash (which IMO shouldn't even exist) hence the quotations in the thread title.

You asked what God is in my opinion. What I can do is PM it to you, perhaps it'll satisfy your want of having a better understanding of my belief.
No need to PM me, but I think we've made it clear already the Bible isn't a book of science and is more a book of philosophy.

None.

Dec 31 2008, 1:19 am MillenniumArmy Post #168

Quote from Doodan
How does anyone who's pro-Bible seriously believe that God made the writers write it? Couldn't the authors have easily claimed that they were getting their orders from God just to sound more impressive? I can do that. I bet you money that if I wrote a book that provided supernatural explanations for historical events, claimed that some kind of God told me so, and then campaigned and advertised heavily, I would pick up a few genuine believers. If the book came from God himself, that would make things "too easy," you say. Doesn't that just sound like a human author imploring that the reader probe no deeper?

I think the reason why people are attracted to religion as a moral center instead of plain common sense/empathy is because they need to believe that some supernatural being cares and will reward them for good behavior. A lot of religious people I know literally believe that God and Satan are having a war for their soul. How conceited, I must say, to believe that universe-altering beings are doing battle for your inner-most thoughts. I call that the narcissism of the everyman. Being good for no reason is too much to ask of most people, hence religion. On that note, I concede that religion might be a necessary evil in the world. Most people would be reduced to beasts if they weren't afraid of invisible characters judging them all the time. How brilliant of religion to take advantage of that primal self interest and convince everyone that the cosmos actually gives a flip about their personal successes. What puzzles me (and many others) is why do people that are intelligent enough to know better still need this ancient and agenda-laden code of morals when their own brains are good enough? Do they, too, need the ego stroking from God that the people who don't get the chance to really think about these sorts of things need?

In my opinion, if there is a God out there, it doesn't care about human affairs. On the flip side, I think that if there is a God, it's also possible that every detail (good, bad, boring, interesting, important, mundane) has been predetermined, and we're just living them out like characters in a finished story. Or there's no God.
So to wrap up you and HolySin's opinions, you guys are basically saying that you don't need the Bible or the teachings and morals presented within them to live out your lives. That is perfectly fine, you do what you want with your loving, happy, and frugal lives and use whatever you want when necessary. People choose to follow the teachings in the Bible by their own free will (and here is where the famous/notorious/controversial term comes into play; "faith.") Like i said, so long as people don't impede on the opinions of others or resort to coercion, everything is fine. This is where I end my time here, because the only reasons I've joined in on this discussion (besides responding to the original intent of the topic) is to discuss certain passages and quotations people have questions about in the Bible.

Quote from HolySin
No need to PM me, but I think we've made it clear already the Bible isn't a book of science and is more a book of philosophy.
I agree, the Bible is not a science manual, it is a book of philosophy. It irks me when people only try to look at the "science" behind the bible and nothing else.

None.

Dec 31 2008, 1:59 am Aedus Post #169

Quote from KrayZee
What about history classes? Didn't they teach what went wrong with religion?
Do you have any idea how many more people died because of good ol' fashioned human greed & avarice as opposed to religion? WW1 - 20 millions casualties, WW2 - 40 million casualties, An Shi Rebellion - 30 millions casualties, the list goes on & on. The casualties of wars caused by religion is pathetically small in comparison. In addition, religious groups have done their part to clean up the mess & improve this world.

I'm not talking the bible as a science book.
In the first post you said that you don't understand why they tell you to read the bible when you could read a history or science book instead. This implies that:
a) you think the bible is a collection of fairy-tales, which is fine, but if that was the case there would have been no need to make this topic.
b) you think that people are treating the bible as something that can offer 100% proof of god.

And I didn't say that theists owe us a scientific explanation for god at all.
You did here:
Their obligation is to convert people, and asking for an agreement if god is real.
Which says that they are obligated to give you proof that god is real, though I'm not sure what you mean by the second part; it reads as "theists' obligations are to ask for an agreement if god is real", whatever the hell that means. I'm sure your sentences make sense in your own convoluted mind, but I can't make sense of it.

In addition you said in the first post that Christians are wrong. Give me proof.

The real argument is asking why the hell are people trying to convince people to read the bible?
Because they think that the stories in there will inspire you to believe in a god, along with other evidence that there might be for god's existence.

Did you not read the first post? It's not George W. Bush that I was mainly talking about, it was the polls and comments. And again with the flaming, I'm a little short on my reading comprehension skills? Oh the irony.
No excuses dude. I don't care if you were talking about other people as well. You clearly stated that George W. Bush doesn't believe in evolution, even when the article says the opposite. In fact you didn't even have to read the article, you could have just look at the title: "Bush Says He Doubts Bible Literally True". But I guess that slandering our president doesn't bother you? (even if he deserves it)

Isn't it obvious in the comments on which certain set of individuals are at what side?
I'm not going to go through 3000 comments, and even if I did, 3000 comments out of the 215000 voters are hardly indicative of anything. It's the statistics here that are important.

And besides, the only thing I ever done is clicking your profile, then saw your registration date. Obviously not your posting history. Even if I did use the search engine on the forums, it did say all of your posts belonged to here after all. I assume you're just a guest who's like "OMG WTF" or someone's friend that wants you to argue.
Yeah so I'm a lurker and I registered so that you wouldn't give theists (and frankly, atheists as well) a bad name. I might also want to use some of this site's other features as well.

Post has been edited 3 time(s), last time on Dec 31 2008, 6:35 am by Dapperdan. Reason: Flamey McFlamey Had A Hissy Fit

None.

Dec 31 2008, 3:31 am KrayZee Post #170

Quote from Aedus
Do you have any idea how many more people died because of good ol' fashioned human greed & avarice as opposed to religion? WW1 - 20 millions casualties, WW2 - 40 million casualties, An Shi Rebellion - 30 millions casualties, the list goes on & on. The casualties of wars caused by religion is pathetically small in comparison. In addition, religious groups have done their part to clean up the mess & improve this world.

It's like you never heard of religious wars, or ever heard of hundred years war at all.

Quote from Aedus
In the first post you said that you don't understand why they tell you to read the bible when you could read a history or science book instead. This implies that:
a) you think the bible is a collection of fairy-tales, which is fine, but if that was the case there would have been no need to make this topic.
b) you think that people are treating the bible as something that can offer 100% proof of god.
a) I didn't say the bible is a collection of fairy-tales, and neither that is the reason to make this topic. You're making up words again.
b) Would you want redundant nagging from people saying that god is real 100% to 200%? The people that I'm talking about are trying to convert people.

Quote from Aedus
Which says that they are obligated to give you proof that god is real, though I'm not sure what you mean by the second part; it reads as "theists' obligations are to ask for an agreement if god is real", whatever the hell that means. I'm sure your sentences make sense in your own convoluted mind, but I can't make sense of it.

By asking for an agreement if god is real, I just mean they want Christians added to their petty community. They just somehow find it an insult whether or not if people doesn't believe in god.

Quote from Aedus
In addition you said in the first post that Christians are wrong. Give me proof.
Neglecting people's rights of own beliefs?

Quote from Aedus
Because they think that the stories in there will inspire you to believe in a god, along with other evidence that there might be for god's existence.
And it does not. Your point being?

Quote from Aedus
No excuses dude. I don't care if you were talking about other people as well. You clearly stated that George W. Bush doesn't believe in evolution, even when the article says the opposite. In fact you didn't even have to read the article, you could have just look at the title: "Bush Says He Doubts Bible Literally True". But I guess that slandering our president doesn't bother you? (even if he deserves it)
No excuses? What excuses? The MAIN argument are the polls and comments. I immediately skimmed through the article and went straight to the polls. Also, George W. Bush doesn't believe in evolution, he believes in evolution through the combination of creationism. He just doesn't think evolution is a fact without the combination of creationism.

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Dec 31 2008, 6:44 am by KrayZee.

None.

Dec 31 2008, 3:46 am KrayZee Post #171

Quoted for truth. That is exactly why I brought this topic. Though the quotation in the thread title was easily my assumption.

None.

Dec 31 2008, 8:54 am Kellimus Post #172

Quote from Doodan

So to wrap up you and HolySin's opinions, you guys are basically saying that you don't need the Bible or the teachings and morals presented within them to live out your lives. That is perfectly fine, you do what you want with your loving, happy, and frugal lives and use whatever you want when necessary. People choose to follow the teachings in the Bible by their own free will (and here is where the famous/notorious/controversial term comes into play; "faith.") Like i said, so long as people don't impede on the opinions of others or resort to coercion, everything is fine. This is where I end my time here, because the only reasons I've joined in on this discussion (besides responding to the original intent of the topic) is to discuss certain passages and quotations people have questions about in the Bible.

Quote from HolySin
I agree, the Bible is not a science manual, it is a book of philosophy. It irks me when people only try to look at the "science" behind the bible and nothing else.

Oh how I wish more people in Religion were like you.

None.

Feb 5 2009, 3:40 am EvilOfWolfPack Post #173

i have NOT read all the other posts but i must say, just think about this. I dont like the christian religion for a couple reasons. First, they are always so negative if your not a christian. They say "well you better become a christian soon if you dont want to burn in hell forever" thats just annoying. Next, i dont believe in religion in general because it just disputes people so much and makes us hate each other, dont get me wrong i respect peoples beliefs and they are entitled to there opinion but its just the start of SO many wars. Lastly, some christians ive met, and this doesnt apply to all of them, treat everyone else like dirt. One guy i met came up to me and asked me if i was christian, i said "no" and hes just like "wh..what? how dont you believe in it?" he was just AMAZED, as if it is impossible to not believe. After which he said "ill pray for you and your sinner friends..."

That just makes me mad.., very very mad.

OH i forgot, christians go around the world and make people feel bad about themselves if they arent christians, they recruit people. One guy on my bus was reading the bible, so he asked me what my favorite passage was. i said i haven't read the bible, and he offered to buy me a bible AND membership to his church free of price. This was a kind thing but when i denied he kept adding things to the table, he wouldnt leave till i was a christian. ill try to keep posted on this conv. And thx for reading my blabbering nonsense

None.

Feb 5 2009, 4:12 am Moose Post #174

We live in a society.

Quote from EvilOfWolfPack
i have NOT read all the other posts but i must say, just think about this. I dont like the christian religion for a couple reasons. First, they are always so negative if your not a christian. They say "well you better become a christian soon if you dont want to burn in hell forever" thats just annoying. Next, i dont believe in religion in general because it just disputes people so much and makes us hate each other, dont get me wrong i respect peoples beliefs and they are entitled to there opinion but its just the start of SO many wars. Lastly, some christians ive met, and this doesnt apply to all of them, treat everyone else like dirt. One guy i met came up to me and asked me if i was christian, i said "no" and hes just like "wh..what? how dont you believe in it?" he was just AMAZED, as if it is impossible to not believe. After which he said "ill pray for you and your sinner friends..."

That just makes me mad.., very very mad.

OH i forgot, christians go around the world and make people feel bad about themselves if they arent christians, they recruit people. One guy on my bus was reading the bible, so he asked me what my favorite passage was. i said i haven't read the bible, and he offered to buy me a bible AND membership to his church free of price. This was a kind thing but when i denied he kept adding things to the table, he wouldnt leave till i was a christian. ill try to keep posted on this conv. And thx for reading my blabbering nonsense
Religion "disputes people so much"? What does that mean?

In addition to that, your grammar is atrocious. Please improve your posting quality as it is unfit for the Serious Discussion forum.

Feb 5 2009, 5:00 am Vrael Post #175

Your experience with the whole of christianity is limited, just as is mine, but I've never met ayone who's been like that to me. If we took the sum of all persons views with regards to christianity, what would be the end result? If you and I are to be viewed equally, then we might cancel out, since I have had a rather positive experience (with the christian people, not the religion itself mind you, this argument says nothing about the actual religion). If we took the sum of all persons over all time, who knows what the end result would be? Millions of positives and millions of negatives. The point here is it's very difficult to truly say anything about christianity based soley on our limited experience with it. Another key factor that supports this, is that the nature of the people who are christians may have been nasty whether or not they would have been a christian, though on the converse side, they may also be people who are nasty because they are christian. My point here is, it may be beneficial to you to not label the whole of christianity as "bad" but rather judge the individuals.

None.

Feb 6 2009, 5:23 am Syphon Post #176

Quote from Doodan

Ironic, because many Christian's criticize Joseph Smith or the other non-canon books of the catholic bible for this very reason, without any proof that the ones they read and believe are different. Christians can be a selectively logical bunch.

Quote from Kellimus
Quote from Doodan

Quote from HolySin

Oh how I wish more people in Religion were like you.

Second.

None.

Feb 6 2009, 10:54 am JaFF Post #177

Quote from Doodan
What puzzles me (and many others) is why do people that are intelligent enough to know better still need this ancient and agenda-laden code of morals when their own brains are good enough? Do they, too, need the ego stroking from God that the people who don't get the chance to really think about these sorts of things need?
I've said that faith/belief just psychology, but never though of the exact motives. Your question made me think a bit more on the subject... My current take is the similarity of worshiping our parents (unless the parent figure abandoned/betrayed the child). Most of us like to think that our fathers/mothers are better than they actually are... in fact, we know that they're not as good as we want them to be in the back of our minds. The parent figures are the the most easily available source of bahavior patterns, so we want to idolize parents to think that behaving like them was a good bet. Same with God - we idolize him to reassure ourselves that acting by 'his' laws/morales is fine.

So this implies the greatest achievement of religion (christianity) is persuading people that morales are something created by God and that he is somewhat of a parent to all of us? As opposed to say... Greek mythology that had many Gods, which is not a close-to-life 'model' of parents.

Just some unfiltered thoughts here.

ADDITION: I considered all this only for Doodan's case of someone who has brains, but still worships God.

None.

Feb 6 2009, 7:05 pm Doodan Post #178

For the record: I don't worship, pray, etc., anymore. I haven't in a good while, and my levels happiness and success haven't changed. If anything, they're a little better, since I'm no longer counting on the heavens to pull strings for me. I've gotta figure this shit out myself!

But yes, I do agree with your assertion that religious tendencies may likely be linked to parental dependency, and many people carry that into adulthood.

None.

Feb 7 2009, 6:40 pm midget_man_66 Post #179

I'm agnostic. i haven't made a decision of faith, yet. i have been studying Buddhism, Christianity and Islam They all appeal to me... and i practice the morals of all of them.

Looking at how small Earth is in the galaxy, and how small the galaxy is... it reminds me how small i am. I don't think there is any one acceptable answer to any giant question, any attempt to answer one of them is just self-pride. One single... tiny, insignificant, meaningless pile of carbon-matter cannot reveal the secrets of the universe with a single teaching or answer.

P.S. I do not have a fairy unicorn checking my spelling... FireFox does it for me :D

None.

Feb 9 2009, 3:02 am SilentAlfa Post #180

If you had what you believed was ultimate salvation from all of the world's problems, wouldn't you want to share it with everybody you met?

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 « 7 8 9 10 1122 >
  Back to forum