Staredit Network > Forums > Serious Discussion > Topic: "Read the bible to believe god exists?"
"Read the bible to believe god exists?"
Dec 10 2008, 6:46 am
By: KrayZee
Pages: < 1 « 8 9 10 11 1222 >

Feb 10 2009, 3:13 pm Zell. Post #181

Just had to butt in, my friend is very religous and doesn't believe in evolution. So after looking into some evidence, let me just give an example, the cat fish that developed feetlike fins and the ability to use cutaneous respiration (the same type amphibians use)

None.

Feb 11 2009, 4:20 am Fierce Post #182

Quote from EvilOfWolfPack
i have NOT read all the other posts but i must say, just think about this. I dont like the christian religion for a couple reasons. First, they are always so negative if your not a christian. They say "well you better become a christian soon if you dont want to burn in hell forever" thats just annoying. Next, i dont believe in religion in general because it just disputes people so much and makes us hate each other, dont get me wrong i respect peoples beliefs and they are entitled to there opinion but its just the start of SO many wars. Lastly, some christians ive met, and this doesnt apply to all of them, treat everyone else like dirt. One guy i met came up to me and asked me if i was christian, i said "no" and hes just like "wh..what? how dont you believe in it?" he was just AMAZED, as if it is impossible to not believe. After which he said "ill pray for you and your sinner friends..."

That just makes me mad.., very very mad.

OH i forgot, christians go around the world and make people feel bad about themselves if they arent christians, they recruit people. One guy on my bus was reading the bible, so he asked me what my favorite passage was. i said i haven't read the bible, and he offered to buy me a bible AND membership to his church free of price. This was a kind thing but when i denied he kept adding things to the table, he wouldnt leave till i was a christian. ill try to keep posted on this conv. And thx for reading my blabbering nonsense

I've met a few Christians that were straight up jerks. One told me to: "Not say his name while I was burning in Hell for all eternity, thirsting for water with my tongue split in half." Now, how I came about such a statement from the Christian was this: "I've always wondered. If God made his children in his own image, wouldn't that mean that all the gays, serial killers, child molesters, rapists, etc.. were a part of him?"

Now maybe I came on a bit too strong with my question, but wouldn't an individual with such morals respect his fellow man? I was being quite serious as well.

None.

Feb 11 2009, 9:26 pm SilentAlfa Post #183

"I've always wondered. If God made his children in his own image, wouldn't that mean that all the gays, serial killers, child molesters, rapists, etc.. were a part of him?"

Yes.

None.

Feb 12 2009, 2:33 am Encore Post #184

An answer to that question Fierce. What happened was as it says in Romans 5:12 "Wherefore as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men for that all have sinned." All those people are not a "part of him" they were made in his image. So you would be thinking that God is a cussing, drinking, wife-beating scumbag? No, when Adam ate of the fruit that God told him not to eat of, he sinned, and was set apart from the fellowship of God.

I saw this, and figured you guys could use someone who wasn't a jerk. I wanted to discuss this with you. I ain't gonna argue. I'm a Christian. I was saved at a young age, got out of church, and got in about a year ago. I hope my opinion is welcomed. I want to stick up for what true Christianity should be like. :) I haven't read this whole thing (I mean there is 10 pages), but I'll look back a couple, and answer any new questions toward Christianity.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Feb 12 2009, 3:06 am by Encore.

None.

Feb 12 2009, 6:17 am MasterJohnny Post #185

Quote from Encore
An answer to that question Fierce. What happened was as it says in Romans 5:12 "Wherefore as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men for that all have sinned." All those people are not a "part of him" they were made in his image. So you would be thinking that God is a cussing, drinking, wife-beating scumbag? No, when Adam ate of the fruit that God told him not to eat of, he sinned, and was set apart from the fellowship of God.

I saw this, and figured you guys could use someone who wasn't a jerk. I wanted to discuss this with you. I ain't gonna argue. I'm a Christian. I was saved at a young age, got out of church, and got in about a year ago. I hope my opinion is welcomed. I want to stick up for what true Christianity should be like. :) I haven't read this whole thing (I mean there is 10 pages), but I'll look back a couple, and answer any new questions toward Christianity.

Wouldn't Adam be also made from god's image. Religious logic is quite odd...

I am a Mathematician

Feb 12 2009, 2:07 pm Encore Post #186

Well, to be specific. Adam was made in God's image, and we are all in Adam's image. Kind of how you normally look like your parents. I don't see how it is odd. It was just looks. We didn't have the mind of God.

None.

Feb 12 2009, 3:48 pm ClansAreForGays Post #187

Are you actually saying that when the bible says we were made in the image of god, it meant in the 2-arms 2-legs sort of sense?

Feb 12 2009, 6:05 pm Kellimus Post #188

Quote from ClansAreForGays
Are you actually saying that when the bible says we were made in the image of god, it meant in the 2-arms 2-legs sort of sense?

That would be pretty whack.

None.

Feb 12 2009, 8:17 pm Encore Post #189

Why does that not make sense? We do not have the same mind as God. If we did Adam would have never disobeyed God's command not to eat the fruit, because God does not like sin. "In God's image" is not some symbolic thing meaning something it isn't saying. It means we were made in God's image. In God's likeness.

None.

Feb 12 2009, 9:23 pm ClansAreForGays Post #190

Why would god, who predates all matter and existence have 2 legs and 2 arms?! what possible use would he have for them?!

Feb 12 2009, 9:36 pm Encore Post #191

What other explanation have you for Genesis 1:26 "And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness:"? I'm not just being smart either. I really do not have an answer to that question as to what use it would be to God.

edit: Well God also created the angels who look like men (refer to the end of the Gospels for proof). Whenever God is pictured in the Bible he is in a human-like form.

None.

Feb 12 2009, 10:12 pm ClansAreForGays Post #192

Quote from Encore
What other explanation have you for Genesis 1:26 "And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness:"
At least you're honest in admitting you have no idea why a perfect all powerful being would have arms and legs. No one can because it does not make sense(and please don't start with "our inferior human minds just can't grasp it").

I can't give you an explanation why God has meaningless appendages, but I can give the most logical reason as to why it is written that he does. The ancient Hebrews in their limited understanding saw themselves as the most superior form of life on earth, thus they reasoned the most superior and highest god would share their same attributes. Unfortunately they weren't as clever as they thought they were and missed the point of why god would ever look the way we do.

Feb 12 2009, 10:24 pm Encore Post #193

Well God created us because he wanted to fellowship with us. Maybe it was so he could have someone to walk in the garden of Eden with. God still has emotions even though he is a supreme omnipotent being.

I wasn't going to say we couldn't grasp it either. I believe God is a God you can't fully wrap your mind around, but that isn't an excuse. If I don't know I just don't know.

None.

Feb 12 2009, 10:45 pm ClansAreForGays Post #194

So god have himself arms and legs to match Adam's? Then god crafted himself in man's image. Are you at least starting see how it isn't unreasonable that man could have invented god?

And did god ever walk through the garden with adam?

Feb 12 2009, 10:54 pm Encore Post #195

"And they heard the voice of the Lord God walking in the garden in the cool of the day:" Gen. 3:8, and then Gen 5:22 "And Enoch walked with God" I assume God walked with Adam in the cool of the day in Eden. And to supplement that God walked with Enoch even after the fall of man.

I don't know why God has 2 arms and legs, but that is what I believe the Bible meant when God made man in his image. I really don't see how you could take that in any other way.

None.

Feb 13 2009, 12:01 am Fierce Post #196

Quote from Encore

Not necessarily.. But he can do what he wants so I'm not going to say that he does those things but I'm also not going to deny the possibility.

God gave Adam the option, did he not? If God didn't want him to sin, he would've controlled the situation. Test or not, the God that you believe in was acting like a parent that knows there is a dangerous hazard for a child but ignores it because they believe it won't happen. That's a pretty good reason that God created man in his own image.

None.

Feb 13 2009, 12:12 am Encore Post #197

God knew it would happen. God did give Adam the option. The reason we have a free will is because God wanted someone to fellowship with (as I was saying before about walking in the garden with Adam), and you can't love someone unless you have the free will to do so.

None.

Feb 13 2009, 12:16 am Fierce Post #198

If God knew it would happen, don't you think that its a little weird to even consider free will?

None.

Feb 13 2009, 12:18 am Encore Post #199

God wanted a creation that would love him by choice.

None.

Feb 13 2009, 12:21 am Fierce Post #200

You don't quite understand though. If God knew it was going to happen, how is it possible to have free will?

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 « 8 9 10 11 1222 >
  Back to forum