Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 Map Production > Topic: Mercenaries 2 - The New Heroes
Mercenaries 2 - The New Heroes
Oct 5 2008, 1:18 am
By: Trunksoul  

Oct 5 2008, 1:18 am Trunksoul Post #1

First time posting so don't go too hard on me. I wasn't actually going to post this, but I have a lot of fun on this map so I figured why not. Basically, I was always a big fan of the original mercenaries 2 map, but then I realized the only merc really worth getting was Minos and his Dragoons. Sure having a extra life on a science vessel (or any other non-attacking unit for that matter) could be a little useful, but not as much as strong mass dragoons that don't take up any food. That's why I made this map with almost the entire mercenary roster changed.

Changes:

1. Stronger CPU Opponents - In the original game all the opponent had was 1 uber mercenary and a large base you had to destroy. In this game they not only get a large amount of uber mercs, but they will group them together and sometimes even send them to your base to wreak havoc on you. This is only late in the game of course. In addition, every mercenary you don't select will wind up on their side along with their minions.

2. New Mercenary Roster - I kept a few from the old version, but it's almost entirely changed. The total number of mercs is up to 11 instead of the original 8 (one of which is hidden) and in order to keep up with the harder CPU you get better mercs and minions. I also give some mercs an extra "weaker hero" when their main minion can only attack the ground. This is due to the increase in airborne uber mercs controlled by the computer, and was the only way to balance things out.

Roster:

1. Atticus the Unseen - Hidden Ghost character who's minion uber unit is a Star Crasher (Battlecruiser)
2. Drake Stryker - Firebat hero with Stryke Guards. (Marines)
3. Nova - Female ghost with Skullder units. (Goliaths)
4. Minos the Malevolent - Zealot with Dragoons of Malice. (Dragoons)
5. Draganov the Immortal - Invincible overlord with Undying Behemoths (Ultralisks) and Spine Gnashers (Hydralisks)
6. Vorlik the Venomous - Defiler with mass life, Plague Guardians (Guardians), and Spine Gnashers (Hydralisks).
7. Kang the Calculator - Reinforced Science Vessel with Silent Spectres (Wraiths)
8. Johnny Kaos - Vulture with Karnage Tanks (Siege Tanks) and Psi Op (Ghost).
9. Heiberg the Heretic - High Templar with Fallen Saints (Dark Templar) and Protoss Ranger (Scout).
10. Eschueta the Wicked - Infested Terran with Ravagers (Zerglings) and Spine Gnashers (Hydralisks)
11. Pagan the Pernicious - Dark Templar with Paganites (Arbiters)

3. More Resources - Some people are not fans of stacked minerals, but I feel the purpose of this map is to have fun and make massive armies (since units who are replaced by hero units no longer take up supply) so I provided near infinite resources to mine off of.

That being said I hope you enjoy the map. It supports up to 3 players, and scales in difficulty accordingly. Hopefully I didn't do too bad for a first map.

Peace,

- Trunksoul

P.S: The screenshot is only to fill the requirement set forth by the forum, and does not really show anything of substance. If anyone can tell me how to get in game screen shots I can show the select screen.

Attachments:
merceasz.scx
Hits: 17 Size: 234.41kb

None.

Oct 5 2008, 1:33 am Oyen Post #2

Welcome to Staredit.net! I'd like to commend you for taking the time to explain the concept and details of the map in your post. Good job! :clap:
I'll give the map a try and tell you what I think of it.

EDIT: I gave the map a shot and chose the firebat hero. I massed an army of 120 hero marines(90 hp, 16 dam) and went to attack the enemy's base. The enemy's hero mutas (terrorlisks) annihilated me. Those things have about 2500 hp and do 40 damage a shot! It only took about 14 of them to annhilate me army. Maybe they should be just a tad weaker.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Oct 5 2008, 1:57 am by Oyen.

None.

Oct 5 2008, 3:05 am Trunksoul Post #3

I appreciate you taking the time out to play the map my friend. I'll take your suggestion under consideration, but it's very possible to win. Zerg players with dark swarm have the easiest time, but it's possible just through sheer number alone to kill them. Until you get the "cannot create more units" message, you aren't building enough.

=) I like how the community here is so nice and welcoming. I just had another idea for a map, and I'll gladly share it here if anyone else wants to try it themselves: A 30 days of night map. It's kind of rare to see snow maps, and maybe instead of doing what everyone else does in zombie maps (defend against an endless onslaught) the vampires patrol the town as you hide out in bunkers and try to acquire food and weapons.

None.

Oct 5 2008, 5:01 am Oyen Post #4

Quote from Trunksoul
I just had another idea for a map, and I'll gladly share it here if anyone else wants to try it themselves: A 30 days of night map. It's kind of rare to see snow maps, and maybe instead of doing what everyone else does in zombie maps (defend against an endless onslaught) the vampires patrol the town as you hide out in bunkers and try to acquire food and weapons.

Would the zombies be controlled by a human player or computer player?

None.

Oct 5 2008, 5:20 am Vi3t-X Post #5

Hordes and hordes of incoming, smart pathing computers.

None.

Oct 5 2008, 8:34 pm Biophysicist Post #6

5. Draganov the Immortal - Invincible overlord with Undying Behemoths (Ultralisks) and Spine Gnashers (Hydralisks)

Might be a problem with people just moving him into the enemy's base for free intel. Kinda like a (sucky) maphack. Also, does he still get a normal Overlord when he starts the game?

Basically, I was always a big fan of the original mercenaries 2 map, but then I realized the only merc really worth getting was Minos and his Dragoons. Sure having a extra life on a science vessel (or any other non-attacking unit for that matter) could be a little useful, but not as much as strong mass dragoons that don't take up any food. That's why I made this map with almost the entire mercenary roster changed.

What about the Zerg guy with Mastermind Overlords? That extra Control is a pretty epic bonus. (Especially for me, who keeps forgetting to build Overlords/Pylons/Supply Depots...)

None.

Oct 5 2008, 11:05 pm Symmetry Post #7

Dungeon Master

Is this map finished? If it is, it should be in Map Showcase ;o

:voy: :jaff: :voy: :jaff:

Oct 5 2008, 11:05 pm l)ark_ssj9kevin Post #8

Just here for the activity... well not really

I would recommend that you don't use Hydralisks, HT/DTs, Mutas, or Ghosts as minions because then you can't get certain units/abilities, like Lurkers, Archons, or nukes.

I'm also working on a Merceneries map :D

guy lifting weight (animated smiley):

O-IC
OI-C

"Oh, I see it"

Oct 5 2008, 11:06 pm InsolubleFluff Post #9

None.

Options
  Back to forum