Staredit Network > Forums > Null > Topic: Life isn't fair
Life isn't fair
Aug 28 2008, 8:39 pm
By: The Great Yam  

Aug 29 2008, 9:01 pm rockz Post #21

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

Quote from Dapperdan
"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain."

That is one of the coolest and most amazing quotes I have ever heard.
"Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like a banana."

I deal with life sucking through laughter.

"Parliamentary inquiry, Mr. Chairman - do we have to call the Gentleman a gentleman if he's not one?"

Aug 29 2008, 9:44 pm Hercanic Post #22

STF mod creator, Modcrafters.com admin, CampaignCreations.org staff

Dear The Great Yam:
Talking really is the best first step. It helps you feel less alone. Thoughts and emotions can get confusing and overwhelming, but by containing them within words, you can find a semblance of structure and order. You can begin to sort through your feelings, giving you a better sense of control.

A live, physical therapist who knows what they’re talking about is great to have, but giving anyone our full trust is hard. We instinctively fear and crave judgment. The anonymity of the internet, however, may give us a greater sense of safety to be how we want to be, and say what we need to say.

Next step is setting goals.

Dear Centreri:
Quote from Centreri
I didn't ask what his definition of fair was.
Nor did I say you did.

Quote from Centreri
I stated what he's saying and said that I disagree with that definition. No need to 'explain' anything to me.
Yet you ended your argument with "Life isn't fair," contradicting NerdyTerdy's stance without any support. You were using your own definition of fair without really defining it. You cannot effectively argue a point that way.

I 'explained' to make my initial point clear ("You're arguing with your definition of fair versus a different definition of fair."), by contrasting his working definition against what I could only assume was your own given what you provided (that life isn't fair and fairness is dictated by what actually happens and not the chance of it happening).

Quote from Centreri
As for my definition, that is incorrect.
Cool. I had no way of knowing exactly what your definition was, since you didn't provide it, so I went with an educated guess (even asking you to correct me). I was able to do that because my argument did not hinge on exactly what your definition was, just that it's different from NerdyTerdy's.

Quote from Centreri
My definition of fair is simply everyone getting the same chances to do whatever they want.
Now you're getting somewhere.

Quote from Centreri
As his response being irrelevant, not at all.
That's not what I said. Your assumptions on his response are irrelevant. You can ask the question, but predicting his response like that is a petty smear. Regardless of how you think he'll reply, you aren't him, you don't know him or the life he's led, so you are not in a position to speak for him.

Quote from Centreri
I was simply stating that he's only in favor of such a random and cruel system of 'fair' because life dealt him kings. Therefore, he doesn't get the cruelty in such a system and insists its fair.
Whether true or not, those are all assumptions.

What about yourself, by the way? Has life not dealt you kings? What special life experiences have bestowed you with the insight into how cruel life is? You use a starving African child as your example. Are you from Africa? Were you a child in that situation?

Quote from Centreri
Even the immaterialistic, oh-so-altruistic you wouldn't call it fair when, after eating that mud, you see a magazine (or, hell, something) of some rich kid dining on whatever rich kids dine on.
I wouldn't, eh? Another assumption.

For myself, the difference is that I don't expect life to be fair. The word isn't even part of my vocabulary when describing life. Life is neither fair nor unfair to me, it just is what it is.

An African child could look down at that magazine and be angry, concluding life is not fair. But that is not the only perspective one could take. He could look down at that paper and want to be that kid. No anger at all, but rather a hope, a dream, maybe even a goal. When you see what is possible in life, you could be jealous, or you could be motivated. It all hinges on your outlook. Those who never stop trying, never actually fail.

Aug 29 2008, 11:02 pm A_of-s_t Post #23

aka idmontie

Sorry to hear this, but your main post has no thesis, no arguement, and thus, no direction. Nothing is being argued or proved, which is what I take Serious Discussion to be. I'm moving this to Null, although the connotation with Null is not the best...

<<Moved to Null>>

Personal GitHub
Starcraft GitHub Organization - Feel free to request member status!
TwitchTV

Aug 29 2008, 11:47 pm BiOAtK Post #24

I'd say this belongs in Serious Discussion because, simply, it is a serious discussion.

None.

Aug 30 2008, 12:07 am Hercanic Post #25

STF mod creator, Modcrafters.com admin, CampaignCreations.org staff

I agree, this belongs in Serious Discussion.

Quote from Forum Description
Discussion and debate on the more serious matters of life. Please read the SD Rules before posting.
Quote from SD Rules
7. Present arguments. (for new topics) When opening a new thead, please state your point of view or argument. News updates, "Ask me anything about X", etc., do not present a stance on an issue that is for debate.

This matter is a judgment call, but I think everyone can agree the subject is of an important and serious nature. I underlined keywords in each quote that this thread falls under. The forum description defined both debate and discussion, and the rules ask for a new topic to state an argument or a point of view (life is unfair).

Aug 30 2008, 1:05 am Demented Shaman Post #26

Quote from Hercanic
I agree, this belongs in Serious Discussion.

Quote from Forum Description
Discussion and debate on the more serious matters of life. Please read the SD Rules before posting.
Quote from SD Rules
7. Present arguments. (for new topics) When opening a new thead, please state your point of view or argument. News updates, "Ask me anything about X", etc., do not present a stance on an issue that is for debate.

This matter is a judgment call, but I think everyone can agree the subject is of an important and serious nature. I underlined keywords in each quote that this thread falls under. The forum description defined both debate and discussion, and the rules ask for a new topic to state an argument or a point of view (life is unfair).
The idea that life is unfair is a good question for debate but a new topic should be created because right now it's just an emo online help therapy session with people posting their favorite quotes about life. :-_-:

What Hercanic wants to discuss should be separate from the discussion Yam tried to start.

Those who never stop trying, never actually fail.
Couldn't they just be failing many times and what do you mean by "actually" fail? Wouldn't everyone eventually be forced to stop trying due to death and therefore ultimately fail?

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Aug 30 2008, 1:11 am by Donkey Punch.

None.

Options
  Back to forum