None.

Sep 2 2008, 12:32 am MasterJohnny Post #22

ill post pictures of my laptop later :D

I am a Mathematician

Sep 2 2008, 12:56 am Echo Post #23

It is # out of what? 10?

None.

Sep 2 2008, 12:56 am dumbducky Post #24

I've read that Toshiba's got the best rating in terms of support and quality. Check them out. Actually, check out every manufacturer, except Sony. Vaio is a huge ripoff.

tits

Sep 2 2008, 2:41 am rockz Post #25

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

Quote from Echo
It is # out of what? 10?

It's a small test that reports back the weakest part of your system. It's essentially like 3dmark, but on a much more general scale, and is used in newer games (ie... recommended Windows Experience Base Index Score: 5.0).

"Parliamentary inquiry, Mr. Chairman - do we have to call the Gentleman a gentleman if he's not one?"

Sep 2 2008, 4:32 am DT_Battlekruser Post #26

Quote from rockz
Quote from Echo
It is # out of what? 10?

It's a small test that reports back the weakest part of your system. It's essentially like 3dmark, but on a much more general scale, and is used in newer games (ie... recommended Windows Experience Base Index Score: 5.0).

Does it actually do any benchmarking? I've never used vista, but those magic numbers look like a pile of bullshit to me.

None.

Sep 2 2008, 5:18 am rockz Post #27

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

Yes, though I've never used vista either. It does some calculations, then apparently does 5.2 calculations per second or something like that for your cpu. I have no idea how big the calculation is. A 5 will run just about everything on high. A 4 will run most things. A 3 will run even less, and that's pushing it. You don't want a 1 or a 2. It's a good idea to put in, as it tests each part of your system.

"Parliamentary inquiry, Mr. Chairman - do we have to call the Gentleman a gentleman if he's not one?"

Sep 2 2008, 8:23 pm dumbducky Post #28

It actually goes up to 5.9. It's rating is based off of how well it's expected to run Vista, not as a general benchmark like PCMark.

tits

Sep 6 2008, 10:36 am Kellimus Post #29

I've read that Toshiba's got the best rating in terms of support and quality. Check them out. Actually, check out every manufacturer, except Sony. Vaio is a huge ripoff.

That's why my Vaio that's three years old still runs awesome and without any troubles???

Riiiight.

None.

Sep 6 2008, 2:44 pm dumbducky Post #30

It probably cost you an extra couple hundred bucks and you got something gimicky like a fingerprint reader. I read the Best Buy and Circuit city catalogues in the paper every single week. The Vaio laptops always start higher and usually don't match the specs of similarly priced laptops.

I just checked a Dell Laptop vs. a Vaio laptop. For $825, the Dell could match and exceed the specs of the Vaio while still being $25 cheaper. You can't deny that Vaio's a lower value at a higher price.

tits

Sep 6 2008, 5:56 pm LooKe Post #31

Laptop Under $800

Looks like a decent laptop, but I don't know anything about laptops.

None.

Sep 6 2008, 6:52 pm Kellimus Post #32

It probably cost you an extra couple hundred bucks and you got something gimicky like a fingerprint reader. I read the Best Buy and Circuit city catalogues in the paper every single week. The Vaio laptops always start higher and usually don't match the specs of similarly priced laptops.

I just checked a Dell Laptop vs. a Vaio laptop. For $825, the Dell could match and exceed the specs of the Vaio while still being $25 cheaper. You can't deny that Vaio's a lower value at a higher price.

Actually, yes I can deny it.

I have friends who have Dell laptops, and they go out within the first year.

My Vaio only went out because the laptop got too hot and I had it on my laptop case. And that was two years into owning it.

And no. My laptop was top of the line three years ago, and there is no finger-print scanner or anything like that.

Still kicks Dell laptops asses, too.

Sep 6 2008, 8:12 pm Echo Post #33

Okay then. It is either going to be a Dell XPS laptop for about $999 or a custom $1000 PC. I know I asked for several but what is a good one for about $1000 from neweggs, or whatever.

Also, If I was to have a gaming computer, and I left it on all day, how much would it cost a day to leave a computer running? My uncle said something about 25 cents per hour, and that really adds up, but that was like few years ago.

None.

Sep 6 2008, 9:18 pm dumbducky Post #34

It depends on the energy usage and energy costs. Laptops use less energy than desktops in general. Also, there's no real reason to leave a computer on 24/7. I always turn mine off at night, and leave it off when I'm not using it. Also, Vista's sleep mode uses only a couple of watts of power.

tits

Sep 6 2008, 9:39 pm Echo Post #35

Is there any real reason why people say Vista sucks?

None.

Sep 7 2008, 2:03 am DT_Battlekruser Post #36

My uncle said something about 25 cents per hour, and that really adds up, but that was like few years ago.

This is wrong. The national average for electricity is about 10 cents per kilowatt-hour, and a computer on idle is probably using 50W or less. If you are smart and it to standby and cut monitor signal after a given time left inactive, then it will be using very little power.

None.

Sep 7 2008, 6:01 pm dumbducky Post #37

Quote from Echo
Because when it first came out, it sucked. By SP1, all major problems have been solved. All they whine about now is non-issues like UAC. It's actually superior to XP when you've got the recommended hardware.

tits

Sep 13 2008, 2:50 am Echo Post #38

What is a good gaming computer build for about $1000 that is energy saving?

None.

Sep 13 2008, 3:02 am Excalibur Post #39

The sword and the faith

Quote from Echo
Okay then. It is either going to be a Dell XPS laptop for about $999 or a custom $1000 PC. I know I asked for several but what is a good one for about $1000 from neweggs, or whatever.

Also, If I was to have a gaming computer, and I left it on all day, how much would it cost a day to leave a computer running? My uncle said something about 25 cents per hour, and that really adds up, but that was like few years ago.

Dell is a bad idea. If you aren't going to listen than stop asking. Bloat ware, built in flaws and issues, OEM hardware driver issues, and the list goes on. They use cheap RAM and cheap mobos which are hard to transfer to new builds.

Quote from Echo

Blue screens like a mother fucker. Most are due to driver issues. I wouldn't touch Vista for at least another 6 months. But whatever, you've already shown you aren't simply asking for advice. You're asking and then not listening to reason.

Quote from Echo
What is a good gaming computer build for about $1000 that is energy saving?

Nothing pre-built is EVER going to match up to one you built yourself. 1k is an excellent amount to build your own machine with. Once again, and for the final time, and only if you'll stop disregarding the work I go through to do it, I'll give you another parts readout for 1k.

SEN Global Moderator and Resident Zealot
-------------------------
The sword and the faith.

:ex:
Sector 12
My stream, live PC building and tech discussion.

Sep 13 2008, 3:06 am Echo Post #40

Yeah, sorry. It's cause I just got a new budget, which is much higher.

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 >
  Back to forum