Aug 26 2008, 12:34 am Seiyren Post #1

Urban Dead

Specifications
Tile set: Badlands
Dimensions: 256x256
Players: 1-5 Human(s) Player
1 Military Player
1 Zombie Computer

Story: At first it began with a mixture of screams, the military had placed a quarantine on Nightingale city. Citizens desperately tried to escape the quarantine only to be trapped or killed by both humans and zombies alike. Bullets flew wildly into crowds of people, infected or not infected confusion and lack of organization lead to random killings. Chaos, absolute breakdown of control, ensued. After about a month or two of total combat the streets would quiet. Burned out cars are still strewn about the street. No sane human would be caught dead out in the streets unless they were going somewhere, however another entity ruled the outside. Like swat crews they systematically broke through homes, destroying the denizens within and ransacking the buildings. The military, after being unable to successfully mount a counter-attack against this enemy, has only been able to cause insignificant damage to this formidable foe, sending in reinforcements troops in attempts to claim back the city. However a glimmer of hope still exist, as humans once again band together in a display of an extraordinary feat of survival and the power of a human will against an adversary with much greater power than their own.

Roles:
1-5 human players will play as a motley crew of survivors fighting for survival through any means. These players will have to venture through the city, search, fight, build and other roles. The main goal of these humans will be to eventually escape the city as a steam-rolling force of zombies approach the city.

Features:
Barricades, and making your own barricades.
Reviving of zombies(I don't really like this feature, but I think it will add an interesting twist to the game)
Entering buildings within the city.
Playing as zombie? (I probably will omit this feature from the game)
Large variety of items.
Simulated online play(as if you were playing with thousands of other players.)
Ammo System

The main reason for this post is a request for terrain-artists, I'm looking for a brand new look on the architecture of the buildings (both outside and inside).
For triggers I already have a very good mentor, although I may consider using EUD's for the ammo system (I probably won't, its too complicated for me.) Contacting him is difficult for me at the time however, so I might have to ask you guys for help...

My main fear of this map is that it will become too complicated and or difficult to play thus turn this game off from a larger audience...

I still need some vital buildings to be designed, I will split them into two groups based on priority.
High Priority.
- A police station
- A fire station
- A church
- A statue (or monument)
- A mall
- Military installation.
Low Priority. (I kind of need these as well to fill in the rest of the map, they mainly consist of civillian-type buildings.)
- A Railway Station
- Apartment buildings
- Office buildings
- Arms store
- A Club

I have a design going for each of these buildings, but I'm sure that others can do better.

And so with a humble request, I formally ask for your assistance... thanks...

(Note: A lot of the building designs I have are inspired from buildings from Industrial Wars map by no-name-needed and Mech Wars by dwarthing, I have already contacted them and have promised to credit them, and of course I am willing to credit anybody who submits a design.)

Note that the screenshots only display the city design so far, I still need to do the inside of buildings I choose to allow players to enter and the user interface for choosing classes, upgrading skills, etc etc

About Urban Dead...
Urban Dead is a MMORPG text-based game. (www.urbandead.com)
Similarly to the text-based game, killing zombies will be extremely difficult in the beginning.
The players you control will be normal humans, they won't be heroes that can one hit KO a zombie with a pistol or simply by punching, they will be humans that will have to struggle to gain experience to become adept zombie killers.

I kind of slapped this together rather quickly(the post), I will update this as the map progresses ( I left out a lot features and other details...) Any questions? Suggestions? Comments?

(Edit: I just realized I posted two topics.. crap... )
(Edit: More updates to come... eventually)
Progress: 10%

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Aug 26 2008, 5:56 pm by Seiyren.

None.

Aug 26 2008, 5:15 pm Vi3t-X Post #2

http://urbandead.com/

I hate to say rip off, but...

None.

Aug 26 2008, 5:57 pm Seiyren Post #3

Ah yes, thats the game it was inspired off of, the original email which I had written the post in had the full post, I didn't realize I had not fully copy-pasted the entire thing until now, thanks for the reminder ^^
(Although it pretty much is a rip off, heh.)

None.

Aug 26 2008, 8:38 pm The Great Yam Post #4

The problem with making any kind of map based off Urban Dead, it will miss the point of the actual game: All the game's story and characters are player owned. The fun is in the interaction, the non-static nature of much of the game, and the intense human element.

I wish you would re-title this.

None.

Aug 26 2008, 8:43 pm Vi3t-X Post #5

The terrain you have fits perfectly with the scene (well, most of it anyways), but you also need interiors.

None.

Aug 26 2008, 9:43 pm Seiyren Post #6

Thanks for the feedback ^^

I'm considering renaming it as well, unfortunately I can't really think of anything :><:

Quarantine City? :rolleyes:

I'm planning on making the interiors of the game, however the interiors are usually larger than most of the buildings themselves, so I won't be able to make interiors for every single building :-( (That is if I plan to keep the 45% - 45% ratio of exterior to interior) (Other 10% is of course for upgrading and what not.)

None.

Aug 26 2008, 10:41 pm Lingie Post #7

How about Raccoon City? /sarcasm.

Lingie#3148 on Discord. Lingie, the Fox-Tailed on Steam.

Aug 26 2008, 11:01 pm FoxWolf1 Post #8

If you're going to make a UD game, you might as well just call the city Malton...

None.

Aug 27 2008, 5:01 am Seiyren Post #9

I could, but then the suburb I would make would have to be within Malton, and I really don't want to be restricted to the design of one suburb...(although I really don't have to be that faithful)
Which is the reason I decided to put this in an entirely non-canonical city.

None.

Aug 27 2008, 5:18 am Vi3t-X Post #10

You can reuse interiors with minor movement of structural layout. I actually have a "Disable, Enable" inside building concept being used.

OMFG The Zombies!
As opposed to:
OMFG The Lings!

None.

Options
  Back to forum