Futbol
Aug 28 2007, 5:58 pm
By: Demented Shaman
Pages: < 1 2 3

Dec 27 2008, 6:19 am Demented Shaman Post #41

Quote from name:FaZ-
I've always thought the game had great concepts but failed because of the shooting. If you don't have an interceptor shot, even from right next to the opponents goal you won't score on a half-decent goalie. The problem is that they can see your target equally as well as you can, and just follow it up and down. If you get an interceptor shot on the other hand, they're most likely either in the way to stop it or it'll be a goal.

One solution (provided you're willing to work out the EUD's) is the let the player shoot by selecting an egg in a [ or ] shape that represents the goal. That would become their shot, no need to burrow. You should probably make an explosion above the player or something and stop it in order to let other players know that he has shot.
Well if you're a good goalie it's not always you're either in the way of the ball or not. You can still follow the observer up and down. But the point is that when you get really good you're supposed to try to get interceptor shots. A good shooter will always be able to time it and a good goalie will always be able to defend. It also takes skill to follow the observer and the gas timer at the same time. A lot of the time if you just shoot an interceptor shot it will end up hitting the post.

But I think a regular shot can be a goal if done well and the goalie is tricked into burying too soon. It's also more effective in a team game when you pass a lot.

The problem with selecting where you want to shoot is that everything will be on goal.

None.

Dec 30 2008, 6:03 am Decency Post #42

Well, maybe make the player burrow and then quickly have to select a target. If he doesn't do it in some narrow window, maybe 3/4 of a second or so, it just kicks randomly including places that might miss. That makes the map newb friendly too, because people who aren't great will still have a chance to score.

As it is even with interceptor shots it's just kind of pointless to me, I've never seen anyone who can time it even 50% of shots, and it wasn't really worthwhile for me to play enough to get used to it. If I was goalie, no one was going to score without a really close up interceptor shot. I'd say make the goalie a defiler maybe, so that it moves and burrows slower, if you want to keep it the way you have it. There's no need to play defense the way the game is now, you just select your goalie and wait until he shoots.

Harsh criticism, sure, but I'd rather a map I'm interested in playing and someone angry with me than neither.

None.

Dec 30 2008, 8:47 am Demented Shaman Post #43

Well, maybe make the player burrow and then quickly have to select a target. If he doesn't do it in some narrow window, maybe 3/4 of a second or so, it just kicks randomly including places that might miss. That makes the map newb friendly too, because people who aren't great will still have a chance to score.

As it is even with interceptor shots it's just kind of pointless to me, I've never seen anyone who can time it even 50% of shots, and it wasn't really worthwhile for me to play enough to get used to it. If I was goalie, no one was going to score without a really close up interceptor shot. I'd say make the goalie a defiler maybe, so that it moves and burrows slower, if you want to keep it the way you have it. There's no need to play defense the way the game is now, you just select your goalie and wait until he shoots.

Harsh criticism, sure, but I'd rather a map I'm interested in playing and someone angry with me than neither.
You can't please everyone, but a lot of people like it just the way it is. And a lot of people can easily time the interceptor shots and shoot it almost all the time, even I can do that.

None.

Dec 30 2008, 4:31 pm Heinermann Post #44

SDE, BWAPI owner, hacker.

Sadly I don't think 8 players is possible, because I need the computer for interceptors.
Since you're using EUD's, you might as well go ahead and use overflow players. You'd be able to get your interceptors without having an actual player to spawn them. You need to make sure there's no strange effects on the game though. Talk to me on MSN if you want some theory into what ext player will modify.

Feb 6 2009, 1:43 am Decency Post #45

I had an idea for this, and was hoping you could incorporate it if you decide to update the map's EUD triggers. They don't work any more, unfortunately.

Basically, just fog of war the area of the targeting observers. Put a strip of high ground that the observers will stay on, and then simple only give vision to the defensive team. That should alleviate a ton of the difficulty of scoring, because even though you can't truly aim your shot, the goalie doesn't know where you're shooting until after you shoot.

I think that small and easy to make change could significantly improve the map. =)

None.

Feb 6 2009, 2:18 am m.0.n.3.y Post #46

Lol, this is similar to my map StarCraft Hockey, Except mine is much more complicated than this is, although this is still funn :bleh:

None.

Feb 6 2009, 5:40 pm ClansAreForGays Post #47

You asked for it...

Feb 6 2009, 6:52 pm Demented Shaman Post #48

I had an idea for this, and was hoping you could incorporate it if you decide to update the map's EUD triggers. They don't work any more, unfortunately.

Basically, just fog of war the area of the targeting observers. Put a strip of high ground that the observers will stay on, and then simple only give vision to the defensive team. That should alleviate a ton of the difficulty of scoring, because even though you can't truly aim your shot, the goalie doesn't know where you're shooting until after you shoot.

I think that small and easy to make change could significantly improve the map. =)
Just by tinkering with the vision and nothing else I was able to do this.

The cloaked observers are pretty much concealed for each side. You might get a tiny bit more vision if you move right below the white tiles, but that only lets you see when the observers are at the ends. Regardless, I think it hides them more than enough to make defending as a goalie more challenging.

If I do make this change for the next version I'll also add an option in the beginning to have the vision like it was in previous versions. That way there's always the choice, in case this new change makes scoring too easy or if people prefer scoring to be harder.

None.

Feb 7 2009, 12:10 am Decency Post #49

Fine by me, looking forward to it.

None.

May 6 2009, 11:54 pm Demented Shaman Post #50

I moved the observers half a tile back from the goal just to make sure you can't get vision if you get to close to the boundary.

I also thought about making it so that when the ball is inside the 18 box the goalie will not have vision of the obs but when the ball is outside the goalie will get vision of it.

That way goalies can't see where the person is aiming for the inside shots, but for outside shots he will be able to see. I think it will make it so that blocking power shots isn't harder than it already is.

EDIT:

Nevermind, I'm just going to go make the obs under fog the whole time, because it takes too long for vision to go away.

Power shots probably won't be much harder to stop than they already are anyway, but if they do get too hard I might balance it a bit by making it harder to execute one somehow. If the inside shot becomes more useful now that the goalie can't see the observer blur then power shots won't be used as much anyway.

Post has been edited 3 time(s), last time on May 7 2009, 12:58 am by Urine.

None.

May 7 2009, 1:10 am Decency Post #51

Cool, where can I download the updated version?

None.

May 7 2009, 1:17 am Demented Shaman Post #52

Cool, where can I download the updated version?
It's not done yet. I still need to update the EUDs for the passing.

None.

May 8 2009, 12:12 am Demented Shaman Post #53

IM REQUESTER A TESTER (FAZ WHERE ARE YOU LOL) TO GO THROUGH EACH PLAYER WITH ME AND TEST DOING LONG AND SHOT PASSES TO EVERY OTHER PLAYER.

None.

May 8 2009, 12:28 am Decency Post #54

Sure. I'll get on east now, aka: Decency

None.

May 11 2009, 5:32 am Demented Shaman Post #55

For a new version I think I'm also going to add built in counters that will keep track of statistics. Right now I'm thinking of stats like number of steals, shots, power shots, blocks, goals. Then they'll be displayed at the end somehow.

None.

Jul 19 2009, 4:12 pm Decency Post #56

You almost done? =p

None.

Jul 20 2009, 5:23 pm Demented Shaman Post #57

http://www.staredit.net/topic/83/2/

For like the past month all I've needed to do was test. :-_-:

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3
  Back to forum