Staredit Network > Forums > Serious Discussion > Topic: The worst Sin
The worst Sin
This topic is locked. You can no longer write replies here.
Apr 5 2008, 4:22 pm
By: The Starport
Pages: < 1 2 3 46 >

Apr 5 2008, 5:59 pm Syphon Post #21

Quote from Falkoner
Denying God after believing in him and receiving a witness of him is probably the worst, because at that point you tend to become so bad that murder is nothing.

Law of Chastity

And the children that weren't corrupted as infants and just never believed in God, they're okay, right?

None.

Apr 5 2008, 6:00 pm The Starport Post #22

Quote from name:devilesk
Quote from name:Tuxedo-Templar
Quote from name:devilesk
Well the idea behind sin as I see it is not the specific ends it produces (the 'murder' of someone, as you claim), but the overall logical outcome that comes of using it as a choice. Pride is considered the worst because it leads to some of the worst outcomes overall.

But how so?
"Worst" outcomes?
That's what I'm trying to discuss here. What is "worst", and why is pride considered the main way to get to it?
Well who says pride is considered the main way to get at it? You didn't start the topic out with much information.
Here's yer "information". Among other easy sources.

If you don't have information on the topic, then either go get some, or don't reply. It's common belief that pride is considered the worst.

Now the question is why?

None.

Apr 5 2008, 6:01 pm Falkoner Post #23

So if a person's values say that murder is just fine but lying is wrong then it's okay to murder? That's why people need religion, it sets the correct priorities.

Pride leads to envy in most cases as you become jealous in your pride and you want to become greater than others, and then you begin to lie, murder, steal and other sins to gain what you want.

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Apr 5 2008, 6:41 pm by Syphon. Reason: Other buttons don't work.

None.

Apr 5 2008, 6:02 pm Syphon Post #24

Quote from Falkoner
So if a person's values say that murder is just fine but lying is wrong then it's okay to murder? That's why people need religion, it sets the correct priorities.

Scientology sets the right priorities? Voodoo sets the right priorities?

It's still an individuals values, and you still fail. ;)

None.

Apr 5 2008, 6:04 pm Falkoner Post #25

Oh c'mon, the majority of the world has a set belief of values, which most religions follow and have actually created, I am not going to go crazily specific because it is too annoying.

None.

Apr 5 2008, 6:06 pm Demented Shaman Post #26

Quote from Falkoner
Oh c'mon, the majority of the world has a set belief of values, which most religions follow and have actually created, I am not going to go crazily specific because it is too annoying.
Or maybe because you just can't do it. Yea, that's right, I'm calling you out!

None.

Apr 5 2008, 6:06 pm Syphon Post #27

Quote from Falkoner

According to Christianity, wars are justifiable murder. Religions do not specify good morals, people do. Stop failing so hard.

None.

Apr 5 2008, 6:08 pm Falkoner Post #28

Wars in defense of yourself, wars are not murder. There is a difference between killing and murder.

None.

Apr 5 2008, 6:10 pm Dapperdan Post #29

Quote from Syphon
Quote from Falkoner

Scientology sets the right priorities? Voodoo sets the right priorities?

It's still an individuals values, and you still fail. ;)

Ty Syphon.

And Falkoner, plenty of more atheist based moral systems work very well. Universal utilitarianism is pretty win. I also think the categorical imperative has a lot to offer.

Quote from Tuxlar
If you don't have information on the topic, then either go get some, or don't reply.

Or you could make a comprehensive topic instead of being a total dick to people who want you to explain your direction with this topic better. It's not your job to tell people if they should or should not reply.

Quote from Tuxlar
It's common belief that pride is considered the worst.

Apparently not.

None.

Apr 5 2008, 6:10 pm Demented Shaman Post #30

Quote from Falkoner
Wars in defense of yourself, wars are not murder. There is a difference between killing and murder.
And that difference is?

None.

Apr 5 2008, 6:11 pm The Starport Post #31

Quote from Falkoner
Pride leads to envy in most cases as you become jealous in your pride and you want to become greater than others, and then you begin to lie, murder, steal and other sins to gain what you want.
I can partially agree with that. Pride is a root sin for other sins. A meta-sin, in other words.

But is that all there is to it?

None.

Apr 5 2008, 6:15 pm Dapperdan Post #32

Quote from Falkoner

You have no idea what you are talking about with war. Hitler and Germany went to war. Clearly that was to defend themself, right? 'Twas justified? There's always at least 1 side of the dispute taking the aggressive.

Mutually attacking each other to defend yourself is not in defense of anything.

None.

Apr 5 2008, 6:16 pm Falkoner Post #33

I would say so, because you can have pride, as long as you are not carried away in it.

Hitler had no true reason to go to war, making it an unjust war, but the people caught up in his war are not fully to blame, nor the defending countries.

None.

Apr 5 2008, 6:17 pm Demented Shaman Post #34

Quote from Falkoner
I can partially agree with that. Pride is a root sin for other sins. A meta-sin, in other words.

But is that all there is to it?

None.

Apr 5 2008, 6:19 pm Demented Shaman Post #35

Quote from Falkoner
I would say so, because you can have pride, as long as you are not carried away in it.

Hitler had no true reason to go to war, making it an unjust war, but the people caught up in his war are not fully to blame, nor the defending countries.

None.

Apr 5 2008, 6:26 pm The Starport Post #36

Quote from Dapperdan
Quote from Tuxlar
If you don't have information on the topic, then either go get some, or don't reply.
Or you could make a comprehensive topic instead of being a total dick to people who want you to explain your direction with this topic better. It's not your job to tell people if they should or should not reply.
Actually I CAN say that. It's a reasonable request. It's up to you to agree with me or not, though.

I can no more say you shouldn't reply here than you can say I shouldn't say that. :P

None.

Apr 5 2008, 6:31 pm Dapperdan Post #37

Quote from Dapperdan
Quote from Tuxlar
Actually I CAN say that. It's a reasonable request. It's up to you to agree with me or not, though.

I can no more say you shouldn't reply here than you can say I shouldn't say that. :P

Or I could just lock the topic (or move it to null) because your topic wouldn't fly if anyone who didn't have a reputation in the community had posted it. It should be the topic creator's job to provide his topic's basis and definitions if he wants to make a good topic. You shouldn't bitch people out for not wanting to look up information you should be providing. If you want to continue this conversation then we'll take it to pms.

None.

Apr 5 2008, 6:33 pm The Starport Post #38

Anyway, back on topic.

I wasn't intent on giving this thread a specific direction, since I wanted to explore the issue in general. The worst sin in particular, which is considered to be pride, confuses me somewhat in the way that it actually is a sin in and of itself.

Surely it leads to other sins, it's also considered a good thing simultaneously. What's up with that?

None.

Apr 5 2008, 6:35 pm Clokr_ Post #39

Damn too active topics...

I don't think any sin is wrong without being treated inside a context. Murder might be the wrong one in some contexts, or not so bad in other contexts.

Denying God after believing in him and receiving a witness of him is probably the worst, because at that point you tend to become so bad that murder is nothing.

roflmao?

?????

Apr 5 2008, 6:39 pm Demented Shaman Post #40

Quote from Clokr_
Damn too active topics...

I don't think any sin is wrong without being treated inside a context. Murder might be the wrong one in some contexts, or not so bad in other contexts.
Hence the question of what is "right" and "wrong", just and unjust wars, sexual assault and rape, murdering and killing.

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 46 >
  Back to forum