Staredit Network > Forums > Serious Discussion > Topic: Scopes Trial
Scopes Trial
This topic is locked. You can no longer write replies here.
Mar 28 2008, 4:11 am
By: Brontobyte
Pages: < 1 « 4 5 6 7 812 >

Mar 29 2008, 11:05 pm Demented Shaman Post #101

Quote from isolatedpurity
(restate it please, I'm not even sure which question you mean)
The question was: What year is it truly?
Syphon asked: Relative to what?
To which there is no anwser, because "What" can not be defined with an infinite time line as there are an infinite amount of origins.
Just think about what that means and you might understand more what I'm saying.
I'll make a big wrap up post later.
Not being able to be defined at a true place on an infinite timeline doesn't mean the infinite timeline is illogical. True doesn't exist, but relativity does.

None.

Mar 29 2008, 11:06 pm SiN Post #102

Quote from Killer_Kow
Quote from SiN
My question to all non-believers (in a supreme entity) is simply: Without a supreme entity, how did anything exist in the first place?

The same way your supreme entity existed in the first place.

There is no need for an explanation of a supreme entity.

Quote from devilesk
Quote from SiN
Quote from ClansAreForGays
Ir's really humiliating having dumasses like bronto represnt the nonbelieving community. Plz stfu.

Same goes to JordanN, on a believing community. It's simply the truth that creationism is mostly full of idiots. (ugh i just know that someone is going to try and criticize me for that comment).

My question to all non-believers (in a supreme entity) is simply: Without a supreme entity, how did anything exist in the first place? With time being infinite, and there is infinite causes to every action, all that it is saying is that nothing exists. Nothing will exist, because nothing can exist, because nothing could have existed. Unless there is a certain divinity that created it all.

So my understanding to non-believers is that they believe that no one exists, because they never existed. But that can be defeated by simple logic.
I suppose that's just where faith comes in.
The nonbeliever would answer, they don't no how anything existed "in the first place" assuming there was an origin.

However, if the universe was infinite and everything had a cause I don't see how you are concluding that nothing ever existed.

Logic doesn't defeat anything that a nonbeliever thinks.

The only difference is that believers fill in their lack of knowledge with faith.

And now for the real point. Just because there may have been an origin, the start of EVERYTHING, doesn't mean it had to be a supreme being, let alone the Christian god out of all the gods there are in the world. It could have been some supernatural unknown force. A start in no way applies a sentient being.

It seems as if a non believer is doing exactly what the average believer would do. Filling out their lack of knowledge of hope within science containing an answer. But if they say there was no 'starting point', than they are saying that nothing has ever existed.

I am concluding that nothing ever existed because having a universe 'be there' is stating an action, that action had to have had a cause, and if there is infinite time that is saying there are infinite causes. But there cannot have been infinite causes because causes have to be started with an action. Which is only stating more infinite causes, therefore there must have been a starting action from a divinity.

nonbelievers and in one case believers (like me) use logic as a base to science, how can they not be defeated by their own base? if you had an upside-down pyramid and you pull the bottom piece, it crumbles.

That is the most accurate way of determining how the universe started.

I have never mentioned a 'sentient' being' as being the supreme entity. Anyone who does is a fundamentalist.

None.

Mar 29 2008, 11:11 pm Demented Shaman Post #103

Quote from SiN
Quote from Killer_Kow
Quote from SiN
My question to all non-believers (in a supreme entity) is simply: Without a supreme entity, how did anything exist in the first place?

Quote from devilesk
Quote from SiN
Quote from ClansAreForGays
Ir's really humiliating having dumasses like bronto represnt the nonbelieving community. Plz stfu.

Same goes to JordanN, on a believing community. It's simply the truth that creationism is mostly full of idiots. (ugh i just know that someone is going to try and criticize me for that comment).

My question to all non-believers (in a supreme entity) is simply: Without a supreme entity, how did anything exist in the first place? With time being infinite, and there is infinite causes to every action, all that it is saying is that nothing exists. Nothing will exist, because nothing can exist, because nothing could have existed. Unless there is a certain divinity that created it all.

So my understanding to non-believers is that they believe that no one exists, because they never existed. But that can be defeated by simple logic.
I suppose that's just where faith comes in.
The nonbeliever would answer, they don't no how anything existed "in the first place" assuming there was an origin.

However, if the universe was infinite and everything had a cause I don't see how you are concluding that nothing ever existed.

Logic doesn't defeat anything that a nonbeliever thinks.

The only difference is that believers fill in their lack of knowledge with faith.

And now for the real point. Just because there may have been an origin, the start of EVERYTHING, doesn't mean it had to be a supreme being, let alone the Christian god out of all the gods there are in the world. It could have been some supernatural unknown force. A start in no way applies a sentient being.

It seems as if a non believer is doing exactly what the average believer would do. Filling out their lack of knowledge of hope within science containing an answer. But if they say there was no 'starting point', than they are saying that nothing has ever existed.

I am concluding that nothing ever existed because having a universe 'be there' is stating an action, that action had to have had a cause, and if there is infinite time that is saying there are infinite causes. But there cannot have been infinite causes because causes have to be started with an action. Which is only stating more infinite causes, therefore there must have been a starting action from a divinity.

That is the most accurate way of determining how the universe started.
Causes aren't started with actions, they're started by other causes in which the former becomes the action. You just have infinite "events" which lead to one another.

Another major thing is that we're assuming that everything must have a cause. I believe quantum physics has something to say against that.

Either way, answering that question with a divine being is just as meaningless, because then what caused that being? If it was uncaused, why can't things in an infinite timeline be uncaused as well.

Quote from SiN
I have never mentioned a 'sentient' being' as being the supreme entity. Anyone who does is a fundamentalist.
Yea, I never said you mentioned that, I was just bringing it up ;). It's not just fundamentalists though, it's all Christians and most other religions.

None.

Mar 29 2008, 11:12 pm Forsaken Archer Post #104

True doesn't exist, but relativity does.
Holy fuck. This is where you fail.
You prove relativity to me. Especially since it's even labeled as a theory.
And then you say "prove god" or "prove relativity doesn't exist".
And I'll say touché, but I'm not the one saying "you are wrong, all your beliefs are based on faith and faith only (which isn't necessarily true)".

None.

Mar 29 2008, 11:15 pm Demented Shaman Post #105

True doesn't exist, but relativity does.
Holy fuck. This is where you fail.
You prove relativity to me. Especially since it's even labeled as a theory.
And then you say "prove god" or "prove relativity doesn't exist".
And I'll say touché, but I'm not the one saying "you are wrong, all your beliefs are based on faith and faith only (which isn't necessarily true)".
Prove relativity, okay.

I woke up, ate, and slept in that order. I don't know where along the infinite timeline they "are", but I know they occurred in that order relative to each other. And if I'm using the manmade concept of the measurement of time I can assign a definite time between the two.

Assuming an infinite timeline the only thing there can be is relativity, at least if you want to describe anything.

None.

Mar 29 2008, 11:16 pm SiN Post #106

Quote from Devilesk
Another major thing is that we're assuming that everything must have a cause. I believe quantum physics has something to say against that.

elaborate?

Quote from Devilesk
Causes aren't started with actions, they're started by other causes in which the former becomes the action. Then you just have infinite causes.

Sorry, but with a little thinking, aren't all causes also actions?.
i.e. the universe was created (in some way or another, action and also a cause) this started the big bang (action and also the cause) this and this, etc.

edit: oh and i edited my big post.

None.

Mar 29 2008, 11:18 pm Forsaken Archer Post #107

"Assuming"... you take it as fact when you say the universe has always existed.

And your proof is an over simplification. And not really proving the theory either.

None.

Mar 29 2008, 11:23 pm Demented Shaman Post #108

Quote from SiN
Quote from Devilesk

elaborate?

Drunken (6:41:04 PM): not everything needs preexisting conditions
Drunken (6:41:26 PM): quantum flucuations can occur uncaused
Drunken (6:41:27 PM): gg
This will lead into a discussion on "faith" I bet. In short, even though I am not a quantum physicist, I have "faith" that they are able to demonstrate this through reason. This "faith" is not the same as faith in a divine being/god, rather it is more like the same "faith" I have in the existence of you behind your computer, or anything outside my immediate field of view. But still one could be a solipsist or whatever and pose the question do we really "know" anything? But then at that point you shouldn't bother discussing this specific question.

Quote from SiN
Quote from Devilesk
Causes aren't started with actions, they're started by other causes in which the former becomes the action. Then you just have infinite causes.

i.e. the universe was created (in some way or another, action and also a cause) this started the big bang (action and also the cause) this and this, etc.

edit: oh and i edited my big post.
I also edited my post to refer to them as events. I first chose to refer to them as causes, but you only chose to refer to them as actions. I was just demonstrating that the cause to a cause is not just an action, but a cause, which I then followed with the cause being caused "becoming" an action.
... they're started by other causes in which the former becomes the action.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Mar 29 2008, 11:28 pm by devilesk.

None.

Mar 29 2008, 11:26 pm Demented Shaman Post #109

"Assuming"... you take it as fact when you say the universe has always existed.

And your proof is an over simplification. And not really proving the theory either.
No, I stated "assuming" so you wouldn't bring in a finite timeline. It's to avoid misunderstandings in the discussion, because that is the only thing I am looking at, an infinite timeline. If I didn't assume it true for that specific moment as I was posting, then there wouldn't be a point in posting.

In short, remove the "assuming" if it bothers you, it means absolutely nothing if you're going to make a big deal out of it and ignore point.

How is it oversimplifying. No, the problem is you. You don't accept relativity on an infinite timeline because you don't assume the infinite timeline in the first place, period. That's why one must assume if we're going to discuss. This is the process of logic.

None.

Mar 29 2008, 11:27 pm Forsaken Archer Post #110

This will lead into a discussion on "faith" I bet. In short, even though I am not an quantum physicist, I have "faith" that they are able to demonstrate this through reason write divine scripture in a scientific bible.
And I'm not referring to all science by any means.

None.

Mar 29 2008, 11:28 pm Dapperdan Post #111

Quote from SiN
Quote from Devilesk

None.

Mar 29 2008, 11:30 pm Demented Shaman Post #112

This will lead into a discussion on "faith" I bet. In short, even though I am not an quantum physicist, I have "faith" that they are able to demonstrate this through reason write divine scripture in a scientific bible.
And I'm not referring to all science by any means.
That's why the scientific method comes in handy. Those quantum physicists are always being criticized by you and their own scientific community, therefore whatever has been stated has already been through rigorous analysis.

Now you're just arguing the validity of science. Please stop your strawman attempts and get back to showing your "logic" as to why an infinite timeline is illogical.

That's why I had my reservations about even mentioning that whole thread of discussion in the first place, which is why I had further explanation, which you have left out. My post was directed at the original poster.

None.

Mar 29 2008, 11:31 pm Symmetry Post #113

Dungeon Master

Quote from SiN
Quote from Killer_Kow
Quote from SiN

Then why is there need of an explanation for the universe? If I've read correctly, you're saying that everything is caused by something before it, so what do you offer as the cause to your God?

:voy: :jaff: :voy: :jaff:

Mar 29 2008, 11:33 pm Demented Shaman Post #114

Quote from Killer_Kow
Quote from SiN
Quote from Killer_Kow
Quote from SiN

Then why is there need of an explanation for the universe? If I've read correctly, you're saying that everything is caused by something before it, so what do you offer as the cause to your God?
Furthermore, why can't the existence of an infinite universe which was uncaused be what you define as the actual "supreme entity".

None.

Mar 29 2008, 11:36 pm SiN Post #115

It seems you don't even understand science. There is a need for an explanation of the universe because SCIENCE supports it. A God does not require an explanation because it is not based on logic. Hell, God, or a supreme entity i like to call it, could even be a major quantum fluctuation that started the universe.

Quote from DapperDan
He was using 'cause' as if it wasn't an action. But I understand what he means now.

None.

Mar 29 2008, 11:36 pm Forsaken Archer Post #116

Please stop your strawman attempts and get back to showing your "logic" as to why an infinite timeline is illogical.
Oh I'm not trying to prove the illogical time line at this point. See, just because this post comes after the last post, it doesn't mean they are directly related.
So don't accuse me of bullshit without cause. Isn't that a fallacy / shit debate tactic?

That's why the scientific method comes in handy.
Which isn't used in all science, ironically (ie: your primary beliefs in our existence).

None.

Mar 29 2008, 11:39 pm Demented Shaman Post #117

Please stop your strawman attempts and get back to showing your "logic" as to why an infinite timeline is illogical.
Oh I'm not trying to prove the illogical time line at this point. See, just because this post comes after the last post, it doesn't mean they are directly related.
So don't accuse me of bullshit without cause. Isn't that a fallacy / shit debate tactic?
Nice reading, not. Your first line is EXACTLY my point. You are not attempting to prove the illogical time line. That's my problem, you should be doing it and not addressing what SiN posted.

Therefore, the following two sentences can be ignored.

That's why the scientific method comes in handy.
Which isn't used in all science, ironically (ie: your primary beliefs in our existence).
Do you even know what my beliefs in our existence are?

None.

Mar 29 2008, 11:43 pm Demented Shaman Post #118

Quote from SiN

It seems you don't even understand science. There is a need for an explanation of the universe because SCIENCE supports it. A God does not require an explanation because it is not based on logic. Hell, God, or a supreme entity i like to call it, could even be a major quantum fluctuation that started the universe.
Change his first sentence to "Then why is there need of a cause for the universe?" (as I believe that is what he meant) and then apply your reponse.

You're both using "explanation" differently, and SiN's explanation in the context of science doesn't relate to Killer_Kow's explanation as synonym for cause.

None.

Mar 29 2008, 11:43 pm Forsaken Archer Post #119

This will lead into a discussion on "faith" I bet. In short, even though I am not a quantum physicist, I have "faith" that they are able to demonstrate this through reason. This "faith" is not the same as faith in a divine being/god, rather it is more like the same "faith" I have in the existence of you behind your computer, or anything outside my immediate field of view. But still one could be a solipsist or whatever and pose the question do we really "know" anything? But then at that point you shouldn't bother discussing this specific question.
That's my problem, you should be doing it and not addressing what SiN posted.
I actually thought the first quote was addressed to me.

None.

Mar 29 2008, 11:46 pm Demented Shaman Post #120

That's my problem, you should be doing it and not addressing what SiN posted.
I actually thought the first quote was addressed to me.
Alright, clearly a misunderstanding between the both of us. Now can you get back to providing a logical explanation for an infinite timeline being illogical?

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 « 4 5 6 7 812 >
  Back to forum