Staredit Network > Forums > Modding Projects > Topic: Project Iron
Project Iron
Mar 25 2008, 3:46 pm
By: Ardis
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 >

May 3 2008, 9:27 pm Ardis Post #21

I don't have a scanner that works anymore, but if I did, I would gladly upload them.

None.

May 4 2008, 4:32 am Corbo Post #22

ALL PRAISE YOUR SUPREME LORD CORBO

Just take pictures to them with a digital camera.
That's what I do.

fuck you all

May 4 2008, 6:13 pm Ardis Post #23

I'll upload them when I get a chance, the batteries for my camera are on the charger and it'll be a few hours (assuming I don't forget)

But one question: Who would like to see this converted to a space mod instead? There were so many units I wanted to make that had to be cut because I didn't want it to make the mod too focused on air units (unfortunately I seem to be making it that way anyways.) I'm good either way, but I want to know what you guys want first.

On one hand, I've already got ideas for a space mod, in fact I've got some interesting ideas, such as you have to choose what you want to focus your colonies on and control your economy based on what kind of colonies you place on each world and such, different ways to acquire resources and money.

I'm considering making two separate mods, one space only and one land only with atmospheric air units such as jets, helicopters, etc.

So, I'd like to know how many of you would like to see this converted to a space mod? Should I stick with the mod as is? Or should I split it into two separate mods?

None.

May 4 2008, 8:00 pm A_of-s_t Post #24

aka idmontie

I really dont see why you are asking us... You should just go for what ever you like the best. I'd say a space mod, but that's because Im making one.

Personal GitHub
Starcraft GitHub Organization - Feel free to request member status!
TwitchTV

May 4 2008, 8:58 pm Ardis Post #25

I just want to know because I'm having trouble deciding.

None.

May 4 2008, 10:44 pm Corbo Post #26

ALL PRAISE YOUR SUPREME LORD CORBO

I think we have enough space mods :P
But if you want to do so, go ahead.

fuck you all

May 7 2008, 1:14 am Ardis Post #27

I had some different ideas though, which is why I thought it wouldn't be "another space mod" Here's a basic outline of what I had planned if I was going to make this a space mod:

The space one is actually focused on two resources, money and metals. Like I mentioned earlier, the three factions would operate somewhat differently from the other. All three factions would need to colonize worlds, but the RE doesn't need to colonize as badly because they are more focused on one of the two resources. There are three different kinds of colonies; mining, industrial and a normal colony. Each type gives different amounts of each resource.

Metal can be obtained by either salvaging from randomly spawning wreckage piles and from mining from metal-rich asteroids. Metal is also acquired as part of the income from mining and industrial colonies.

Money is acquired through trade with your colonies and through income that is gained from owning any types of colonies. Money is require for constructions for the IWE and EFF and is also used for hiring mercenaries. The Regine Empire has very limited use for credits, the only time they need them is for hiring mercenaries

Rather than the "you gain this many resources at the end of this [amount of time]" method in Ad Astras, income is constant and you gain resources faster as you gain more colonies. I am also considering setting up a system where you can exchange money and metal for each other.

None.

May 7 2008, 7:56 pm Pandut Post #28

I'm just a fish

Hey Ardis, Let me know if you need a sound effect editor. I've got much experience and I'd love to help you out :D

None.

May 7 2008, 8:53 pm Ardis Post #29

I appreciate your offer of help, but I don't need any sound effect work at this moment in time.

None.

May 19 2008, 12:13 am Ardis Post #30

Sorry, haven't been able to get much work done on the mod, I've been busy lately. I'll be able to get some work done in a week or so.

None.

Jun 5 2008, 7:19 pm Ardis Post #31

Okay, now that school is over and I graduated, I can get to work on the mod, I've already got a few new things to show you. In the following screenshot, you can see Earth's worker unit, the Nanite Dispenser, you can also see their command base (which I will most likely change a lot), their power stations and a training camp.

None.

Jun 6 2008, 12:10 am Fisty Post #32

Quote from Ardis
Okay, now that school is over and I graduated, I can get to work on the mod, I've already got a few new things to show you. In the following screenshot, you can see Earth's worker unit, the Nanite Dispenser, you can also see their command base (which I will most likely change a lot), their power stations and a training camp.
I liek the shadows, very matchy. Now, to be honest, I think this mod is actually going to turn out. Good luck.

BTW: Judging by the shadow positioning of the pylon, it looks like the unit is uncentered.

None.

Jun 6 2008, 3:35 am Ardis Post #33

I haven't gotten around to making the shadows because I want to have the units final scale and shape down first. I don't want to make a shadow for it then end up having to change the scale because the building overlaps it's neighboring buildings in a way that makes the whole thing seem unsightly or anything.

My only real problem so far with the sprites though is the color. Whenever I turn it into a GRP, the color gets ruined and I don't know what to do to fix it.

EDIT: Yeah, I noticed that earlier. I might just need to shift the sprite around a little to fix it.

None.

Jun 6 2008, 5:59 am Fisty Post #34

Quote from Ardis
EDIT: Yeah, I noticed that earlier. I might just need to shift the sprite around a little to fix it.
Yeah you have to get it as close to the center as you can.

None.

Jun 6 2008, 6:02 am poiuy_qwert Post #35

PyMS and ProTRG developer

The color problem could be your GRP converter, which program do you use?

If you want your units to be centered in game just make sure the dimensions are a multiple of 32, then center the sprite.

Jun 6 2008, 4:37 pm Ardis Post #36

Okay. Most of you hate this program, but I use RetroGRP because I haven't really heard (or I just don't remember) any suggestions on what else to use.

None.

Jun 6 2008, 5:13 pm FlyingHat Post #37

SFGRPConv is good for your health. GRPEdit is buggy but it's great for previews. RetroGRP is just.... Bleh.

None.

Jun 6 2008, 6:45 pm Ardis Post #38

I used it because it was easy for me to use. Also, do you know if when you're making the .ral files for GRP's, does it have to have a three digit number? Blender likes to auto-save the animation bitmaps with a four digit number and I want to know if I can use four digit numbers on the .ral list files.

EDIT:
Okay, I tried the SFGRPConv you suggested and here's what I got. Not sure what I did wrong, but it raped the colors on my worker even worse than RetroGRP. And also, I think that the initial color loss is being caused when any program tries to convert my sprites from their default 24-bit color to the 256 color mode.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jun 6 2008, 7:00 pm by Ardis.

None.

Jul 21 2008, 2:03 am Ardis Post #39

Okay, sorry for disappearing for so long, but I fear it may happen again soon because college starts for me this fall and I still have to learn to drive. I'll try and update the mod when I can, but I guess the whole bugged tank made my lose most of my will to mod until I can figure out what's wrong with it or find an alternate solution.

I've got some updates on the mod, I did a little work whenever I wasn't busy with anything else. So far I'm up for removing the transforming mode all together and replacing it's AA mode units (base and turret) with a whole new unit for the Earth Federal Forces. So, if there are enough people who are still in the slightest interested in the mod, I can quickly pack up the files and release an open beta. (Was planning to before Summer was over anyways.)

I've also gotten a few updated models to make sprites out of. Unfortunately due to, as of yet, unexplainable mishaps with SFGRPConv, I'm sticking with RetroGRP (and suffering silently.)

None.

Jul 21 2008, 9:15 am NirvanaJung Post #40

what exactly have trouble with SFGRPconv ? when you apply pallete or something compiling trouble ?
btw, i just think if you mapping on your model with textures which sort of materials in detail
your rendered BMP would looks better much than the current images
most custom graphics looks pretty flat for me

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 >
  Back to forum