Staredit Network > Forums > Modding Projects > Topic: Project Iron
Project Iron
Mar 25 2008, 3:46 pm
By: Ardis
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 >

Jul 21 2008, 3:04 pm Ardis Post #41

If you go back a few posts, you'll see what SFGRPConv did to my sprites. It completely messed up the colors of the EFF worker unit, which was the one I used to test SFGRPConv out with. I figured out how to compile the GRP file with it, but it butchered the colors even worse than RetroGRP, most of them aren't even right. I've only had one real problem with RetroGRP, but I found a way to work around it, so it's not really a problem anymore.

None.

Jul 21 2008, 3:27 pm NirvanaJung Post #42

oh... i see wat r u saying.... have you used palletes for compiling ? that just completed works to matching colours with pal file
and if you see right colour since you saw colours as way off after extarct BMPs
you need to apply colours on every BMPs with use sort of image editors
but if you won't recreat with extracted images you can recompile with that just need to apply right palettes for compiling

Anyways... As you think that RetroGRP has no problem to use normaly
however if you try compile with huge images as a sort of large file size
it could dump out the error on it
but BoA Fan's (i want call she as this :lol: ) GRPconvertor is the most stable convertor
Anyways i've never met error on it and i've never felt that's lack to use

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Jul 21 2008, 3:35 pm by NirvanaJung.

None.

Jul 27 2008, 8:53 pm Hercanic Post #43

STF mod creator, Modcrafters.com admin, CampaignCreations.org staff

-The Regine Empire play on numbers and power. They are dangerous early in the game because of their strong ground defenses and cheap land units, but they suffer near the end of the game because they lack significant heavy units of their own. They also have very little in the way of large air units with the exception of the Sincla which is only accessed by taking over an IWE Heavy Star Dock.
I'd be wary of using game progress as a strength/weakness on a racial level. In every phase of the game there must be a balance between racial dynamics.

Aug 12 2008, 9:54 pm Ardis Post #44

Good point, I'll see what I can do when I have time to work on the mod again.

None.

Nov 7 2008, 7:13 pm Ardis Post #45

Okay, I finally decided to start working on my mod again and I accidentally hit a major setback, luckily Firegraft had a backup so I didn't lose too much work. I can't fix the IWE Hellfire tank anymore because I found out that I put units in the places of where its turrets were supposed to be. So the Hellfire tank will not be transforming in this mod.

None.

Nov 8 2008, 1:31 am Fisty Post #46

Quote from Ardis
Okay, I finally decided to start working on my mod again and I accidentally hit a major setback, luckily Firegraft had a backup so I didn't lose too much work. I can't fix the IWE Hellfire tank anymore because I found out that I put units in the places of where its turrets were supposed to be. So the Hellfire tank will not be transforming in this mod.
Such is why I plan out my mods in Excel before actually creating the mod.

None.

Nov 10 2008, 1:31 pm Ardis Post #47

I had everything planned out when I first planned to make the mod, but I had to redo it twice due to various problems. I might just start over from scratch on the mod files. Most of these problems would not have been a problem, but thing usually go wrong when I forget to backup stuff (Last backup I have of a playable mod is right before I started using Firegraft, but since Firegraft backs up the .fgp files I'm mostly saved.)

None.

Nov 14 2008, 3:45 am FlyingHat Post #48

Redoing some things from scratch might be a good idea, tearing down some areas of a mod and remaking it has gotten me some nice results.

None.

Nov 16 2008, 6:14 pm Generalpie Post #49

Staredit Puckwork

For the lulz, why not add a self destruct button for some of the earth federal units? ;)

None.

Nov 16 2008, 8:45 pm Ardis Post #50

Hmm... Maybe a self destruct would work. Might put it on only one unit, but I like the idea.

None.

Nov 16 2008, 9:02 pm Fisty Post #51

Quote from Generalpie
For the lulz, why not add a self destruct button for some of the earth federal units? ;)
A): This wouldn't work for units with 2 weapons
B): I KNOW for a fact that I would hit that button by mistake, and it would deter me from playing the mod again

Of course, it's up to you Ardis.

None.

Nov 16 2008, 10:29 pm Hercanic Post #52

A) A spell turning something like Yamato into a Suicide attack might work. Or a unit morph with triggers removing the morphed unit on birth.
B) Spell could be inside a submenu, acting as an "Are you sure?" prompt.

Nov 16 2008, 10:59 pm Ardis Post #53

Okay, I think I know what unit will get the self destruct, one of the Regine Empire units, the Sincla will get it. It's a ship with low health, weak armor and heavy firepower. I think that would make a good "if I'm going down, I'm taking you with me" special. I'm considering scripting that phrase to play randomly when they use the attack also.

EDIT: Since I'm redoing the mod anyways, think I should turn it into a space mod? I'm kind of indecisive on it and I need a tie breaker so to speak.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Nov 16 2008, 11:06 pm by Ardis.

None.

Nov 16 2008, 11:41 pm DrunkenNoodle Post #54

There are too many space mods, be unique. :)

None.

Nov 16 2008, 11:48 pm Ardis Post #55

That was why I didn't make a space mod in the first place, but I really want to make one. Most of my current bugs are related to land units anyways.

None.

Nov 17 2008, 1:04 am Hercanic Post #56

If you really want to do a space mod, and not just because it's easier to make, by all means go for it. Just be wary of creating a reskinned Starcraft. Bring new gameplay to the table. Try to think outside the box, and be unique in some or many ways.

Nov 17 2008, 2:15 am Ardis Post #57

Already had some ideas, that's why I wanted to make the space mod. And also, I thought space mods would be harder to make...

EDIT: Okay, I have everything planned out in a sort of rough draft in Open Office Calc (their equivalent of Excel) I'm going to add stuff, take away a few bad ideas, etc. for a few days and then start working on making units in DatEdit, then once they are working, I'll start hitting it with FireGraft until everything looks ready. Also going to be making sprites on the side, most of them already have sprites that just need a little work.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Nov 17 2008, 3:54 am by Ardis.

None.

Nov 22 2008, 7:48 pm Generalpie Post #58

Staredit Puckwork

I got another idea. if its a space mod you are doing, then listen to this.

why not have a unit tha comes in pairs. then, the units create a defensive grid via links and beams from one of the units to the other. Any unit that runs into this beam will be damaged. also, to ballance the mod out, have the beam drain a certain amount of energy a second. kinda like how a ghost cloaks. then have an ability researched so that it can "multi link". this ability will enable the unit to be able to link to simultanious units.

None.

Nov 22 2008, 8:06 pm Fisty Post #59

As far as I know that would be impossible.

None.

Nov 22 2008, 8:08 pm Symmetry Post #60

Dungeon Master

Quote from name:Deathman101
As far as I know that would be impossible.

On the contrary, it's kind of possible. Immediately upon reading it I came up with far-fetched ways to do it. It's kind of possible, but it would interfere with so many other aspects of the mod that it probably wouldn't be feasible to include.

:voy: :jaff: :voy: :jaff:

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 >
  Back to forum