Staredit Network > Forums > Null > Topic: Math Fun
Math Fun
Feb 23 2008, 5:51 am
By: DT_Battlekruser  

Mar 4 2008, 5:44 am DT_Battlekruser Post #21

Quote from MillenniumArmy
If you know calculus, then you should be able to understand what he was doing. When you type any mathematical formulas through text, it always looks more complicated. It's just differentiating :P

Yeah, it was just a pretty elementary dispute that I think we settled by her admitting that T X N can change sign and that we were really talking about a plane curve with κ>0 for all t.

None.

Mar 5 2008, 3:43 am MrrLL Post #22

Are you honestly trying to create a math discussion or are you just boasting about how you can do high level maths (like you seem to do a lot)?

None.

Mar 5 2008, 4:13 am MillenniumArmy Post #23

Well it was a math discussion, but it only lasted a few posts. Then just about every post after that was not (thus off topic :P)

None.

Mar 5 2008, 6:49 am candle12345 Post #24

Pt1 (3,6) Pt2 (1,4)
Work out the graph formula.
[Straight Line Graph]

A lot of you probably won't remember how to do it because of how long it's been since you've [probably] last done this.

Take a crack at it.

Cookie for the person who figures it out showing his working here without sketching the graph itself.

None.

Mar 5 2008, 7:02 am DT_Battlekruser Post #25

Do you mean y - 4 = x - 1; y = x + 3?

But yeah, there actually was a discussion that was over ages ago. This topic should probably be locked :P

None.

Mar 5 2008, 10:43 pm Syphon Post #26

Now I'm no calculus person, but isn't by definition a planar curve a curve with no torsion? Well... Unless it has some like undefined points, right?

None.

Mar 6 2008, 5:35 am DT_Battlekruser Post #27

Assumedly not, since we were trying to prove that plane curves have no torsion. I think the formal definition of a plane curve states that for any plane curve r(t) = <x0(t),y0(t),z0(t)> there exists some rotational matrix A such that A(r(t)) = <x(t),y(t),0>.

None.

Mar 6 2008, 10:28 am Rantent Post #28

Curves are one dimensional, Planes are two dimensional. So a curve in a plane may have a torque along whatever plane it is in. (And out of the plane depending of whether or not the plane is Euclidean or not, I believe. Don't quote me on that though.)

None.

Mar 6 2008, 9:26 pm Syphon Post #29

Quote from Rantent
Curves are one dimensional, Planes are two dimensional. So a curve in a plane may have a torque along whatever plane it is in. (And out of the plane depending of whether or not the plane is Euclidean or not, I believe. Don't quote me on that though.)

But isn't a planar curve just a one dimensional curve extended into 2 dimensions, and therefore lacking any torsion?

None.

Options
  Back to forum