Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 UMS Mapmaking Assistance > Topic: WAV String Recycling (MPQ)
WAV String Recycling (MPQ)
Nov 3 2015, 4:08 am
By: Oh_Man  

Dec 3 2015, 12:10 am jjf28 Post #21

Cartography Artisan

Quote from Stranger
Thank you guys.

Oh and I just figured out something.
Oh_Man's highest string limit seems to be at 1877 strings.
And mine is only at 1049 :

String Section Info: 78.0% used (51102 bytes), 1023 / 1049 strings

Where does the difference come from ?

The second number (1049) is the current capacity of the string section, this number is not fixed. Editors will probably treat the string section either as a dynamic array (adds 1 to the capacity every time you reach/get near the current capacity) or a vector (adds a few to the capacity every time you reach/get near the current capacity).

Having a capacity much higher than your used strings will waste bytes (2-3 bytes per 1 unused string space), increasing string section capacity is a reasonably CPU intensive task (though it will not give noticeable latency with a modern processor and a decent algorithm).

TheNitesWhoSay - Clan Aura - github

Reached the top of StarCraft theory crafting 2:12 AM CST, August 2nd, 2014.

Dec 16 2015, 5:39 am jjf28 Post #22

Cartography Artisan

Needed some practice ASP.Net programs so here's a text converter: ScTextConverter if you or anyone has a need to translate between string formats again.

Note that "Chkdraft" strings accept SCMDrafts <hh> format as well as C++ escape sequences. One small consequence is that backslashes need to be escaped (to enter one backslash you need to put two ("path\sound.wav" should be entered as "path\\sound.wav")).

TheNitesWhoSay - Clan Aura - github

Reached the top of StarCraft theory crafting 2:12 AM CST, August 2nd, 2014.

Dec 20 2015, 5:58 pm Oh_Man Post #23

Find Me On Discord (Brood War UMS Community & Staredit Network)

Yo I just wanna point out I had ANOTHER problem.

I had two recycled strings that had colons in them ":"

They didn't work. Swapped them for strings without colons and now they work. So FYI colons are no-go!!

Jan 8 2016, 4:18 am Oh_Man Post #24

Find Me On Discord (Brood War UMS Community & Staredit Network)

Ugh, I've been finding every now and then sound files that for whatever reason stopped working after the recycle. I've been replacing them as I notice them in play sessions.

I've just noticed something in the triggers today:
Play WAV("\x006B\x01dandit", 122211);
Play WAV("\x006B\x01dandit", 0);
Play WAV("\x006B\x01dandit", 13239);

What is up with the numbers at the end? What do they signify? I've never noticed them before because I hadn't thought to look at them. But now I'm spotting these random numbers throughout. Exact same WAV file - different numbers at the end. I'm guessing whatever mystery THIS is explains the reason why sometimes I find that sound effects aren't firing!

I'm not sure if this helps or not, but these random sound files that don't work, when I open WinMPQ, translate them back into filename.wav, then press play, instead of playing the WAV like it does on working sound files, it instead gives me this error message:

Windows cannot find "c:\Users\Oh_Man\Desktop\WinMPQ\Temp_extract\-\asdf.wav". Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jan 8 2016, 5:14 am by Oh_Man.

Options
  Back to forum