Staredit Network > Forums > Games > Topic: Magic the gathering
Magic the gathering
May 16 2011, 4:25 am
By: Jack
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 5 >

May 20 2011, 8:59 pm ubermctastic Post #41

The sliver strategy comes with the cumulative abilities. It's really more intended to be fun to play with.
I never play with standard decks. I find them to be too boring. I'm more a fan of combos that build onto one another exponentially.

None.

May 20 2011, 9:26 pm DevliN Post #42

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

To clarify, he read that as "silver" not "sliver." So did I, and I was just as confused.

I have a Sliver deck. Sometimes it is awesome, other times not so much. I wish it was more consistent.

\:devlin\: Currently Working On: \:devlin\:
My Overwatch addiction.

May 20 2011, 9:44 pm Jack Post #43

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

I just got offered a bunch of free cards to help me get started. They are probably all meh cards but still, sofar the MtG community in my area is awesome.

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

May 21 2011, 3:42 am ClansAreForGays Post #44

Do zombies if it's an option.

May 21 2011, 10:56 am LoveLess Post #45

Let me show you how to hump without making love.

Oh, look what I found.

Anyway, no idea what happened to all my old MTG cards. I think I might have just given them away at the last FNM I went to, just got disinterested in it. I was always that guy making really good deals for people that weren't of that 'elite' status you obtain once you have a good set of cards and understand the game well. Of course, I always played Standard, I'm not much for the other game types. I still remember going to one of those Drafts where its extended and to be honest... It was boring as hell, I like playing with the people who always bring in some new strategy for Standard. Like back in the day when Ravnica was first released, all people wanted to do was Mill you to death because it was the fastest, easiest win and was extremely reliable. Then I decided to build a counter-mill, the first that I believe was made so fast using Mortivores and my own semi-mill deck. Even against non-mill, I would just use it on myself and Zombify out a Mortivore or some core card for their deck, effectively trashing them. Man... Black/Blue was just so retardedly overpowering back in Ravnica now that I think about. I quit when Coldsnap came out, it just seemed so... Stupid.

SO I HERD WHITE IS WHERE ITS AT NOW.

Anyways, if anyone wants to do some dreambuilding on an online App, hook it up. I'll also gladly help Jack, just give me what kind of deck you want to build and maybe some kind of IM, I'll learn the new cards pretty quick and give you a viable strategy with what cards you had.

None.

May 22 2011, 12:34 am RIVE Post #46

Just Here For The Pie

Quote from name:FaZ-
Sliver decks are basically retarded. There is no strategy whatsoever to playing them.
Slivers look pretty good for an EDH game as the only Legendary I have found allows you to search your library for other Slivers and put them in your hand. That can get pretty strategic. Too bad there are not many of them, and most of them really are not worth it.

None.

May 22 2011, 12:53 am ubermctastic Post #47

playing tonight with friends, my deck is gonna own!!!

None.

May 22 2011, 1:28 am LoveLess Post #48

Alright so I played a few games on Magic Workstation and from what I could tell, there are only three ways to win now: Infect, Vampire or Caw-Blade. Pretty ridiculous how instantaneous they are too. I ran with three different decks with 2/3 sideboard and they should have been able to play against them, yet no way in hell did they do okay. Went with a mono-green utilizing mass creatures with default strengths and I got my Beastmaster Ascension off within the third to fifth turn, but it didn't matter. So ridiculous... I either lost by the fourth or fifth turn to an infect deck, then Vampires or Caw would just control me until I die.

...Once I get a steady income, I think I'll start going back to FNM and get back into MTG. It was kind of fun to be honest.

None.

May 22 2011, 10:48 pm ClansAreForGays Post #49

I really like the infect mechanic.

May 27 2011, 12:08 pm LoveLess Post #50

Found a deck build, that afaik, isn't currently in use. It should be because I have not lost to cawblade and the only thing to beat me this far, is a black weenie/vampire deck. The current score with it online is 9 wins and one loss in overall matches, all best two out of threes (so 18 wins and two losses each game). Here is the build:

MD:
13 Mountain
5 Forest
4 Valakut
4 Copperline Gorge
4 Primeval Titan
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Explore
4 Cultivate
4 Growth Spasm
4 Summoning Trap
4 Arc Trail
4 Fireball
2 Koth of the Hammer

SB:
4 Punishing Fire
4 Shatter

Now I haven't really built up a proper sideboard because... Well, I just decided what it needed based on playing. The lifegain in most white and black decks these days is annoying, so Punishing Fire helps against those whores. The Shatter is for Artifact decks, you can substitute it for a Naturalize but the Green in this deck is pretty much reserved for the double G spells and monsters that make this deck core.

The playstyle for this deck is while you are in the process of building up, shoot down anything that may be a threat. Arc Trail does wonders against the weenie decks, while Bolt and Fireball knock anything else down. If the Punishing Fire is ever thrown in, shoot down the little critters with it.

Basically, once you hit three mana at your disposal, you should fly right into six and really lay it down. Valakut can target creatures OR players, so it can control the battlefield and do huge bursts to your opponent. Since the entire deck is full of land grab, it reduces your chance of just getting shitty draws one after another. Even against a control deck, they shoot down Titan and you just spring one or two Traps on them, resulting in twice the mayhem.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on May 27 2011, 12:14 pm by LoveLess.

None.

Feb 15 2013, 2:24 am Azrael Post #51

I didn't realize we had a thread for this.

I play, but mostly on Magic Online. I largely stopped buying physical cards because of the inconvenience of using them.

My main deck revolves around using Platinum Angel, Final Fortune, and Isochron Scepter to produce infinite turns :kame:

Feb 15 2013, 5:08 am OlimarandLouie Post #52

I play irl and on Cockatrice, mostly Standard and I dabble in EDH. I currently run U/B Zombies, and I usually place top 4 at my local FNM with said Zambeez.

None.

Feb 15 2013, 6:19 pm UnholyUrine Post #53

I went through a phase of this..
went for RG Aggro or Mono Green Ramp with Dungrove Elder :3

too expensive to continue.. soo I stopped. The recent expansions (Return to Ravnica and GateCrashers) are pretty awesome tho.

None.

Feb 15 2013, 6:26 pm Moose Post #54

We live in a society.

I used to play, pretty much from 1st edition through to ... I think Weatherlight saga had come out when I stopped buying. I even have a handful of Beta and Alpha cards. Last I checked, most of my non-land cards are illegal for tournament play. :P I really should find out if the oldest cards are worth money.

Feb 15 2013, 8:51 pm Azrael Post #55

Quote from Mini Moose 2707
Last I checked, most of my non-land cards are illegal for tournament play. :P

You should look into Legacy, it's the ideal format for using older cards in my opinion. It basically allows everything, except cards which would need to be restricted, and those are outright banned. It bans cards based on power level; basically, if a card would necessarily make every deck better, it is banned. A good example of this is Sol Ring (artifact, costs 1 colorless mana, tap to produce 2 colorless mana). Every card is either legal or banned, there is no restricted list.

The other format some people play with older cards is Vintage, however, I dislike this format and wouldn't recommend it. It's a very inconsistent format, because instead of banning cards that are "too powerful/necessary", it restricts them to one per deck. The card given before, Sol Ring, is another good example of this, since you'd be hard-pressed to find a good Vintage deck that doesn't use it and couldn't benefit from it. This has also caused them to restrict a good number of cards which would have been fine on their own, and are legal in Legacy, because of their interactions with these powerful/necessary cards (for example, Burning Wish).

In practice, Legacy matches tend to be more consistent and more skill-based than Vintage, and additionally, more fun, because Vintage is basically "whose opening hand got that 1 card in their deck that's horribly broken and will let them win on the first turn".

Therefore, if you're going to play one of those formats, I'd definitely go with Legacy. However, if your preferences differ from mine, I tried to describe them well enough for you to make your own judgement call.

As for MTG Online, all my decks are Legacy legal, however most people online play Classic format instead. This is unfortunately just as broken as Vintage (actually a little more so), and is basically the online equivalent to Vintage, suffering from all of its problems. All the cards which are legal in Legacy are also legal in Classic, however Classic made all the powerful/necessary cards restricted to one per deck; additionally, it didn't restrict any of the cards which combo with those, like Burning Wish. You basically have a format which combines the banned/restricted lists of Legacy and Vintage, except it always picks the less restrictive of the two.

I will say one thing though, playing Legacy decks in Classic has forced me to really improve the quality of my decks. If you have bad land ratios, or your deck is inefficient in any way, you simply cannot win. People are running decks which, if left unchecked, can win consistently within the first two or three turns. There are even decks which can win on the very first turn, albeit a bit harder to make consistent.

Anyways, that should be enough information to choose a format, for you or anyone else looking to play with older cards.

Feb 16 2013, 9:09 am Jack Post #56

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

Would be awesome if moose had the power nine.

Speaking of which, I know someone with the entire power nine :O

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Jul 16 2013, 8:21 pm Generalpie Post #57

Staredit Puckwork

I still play regularly;
When there were fewer cards, I ran a fairly well built rainbow sliver deck, but with the newer sets, you kind of are forced to go dual or tri color.
Nowadays I play Green/White, and in THG, Anti-Blue/red Support Green/White.

Quote from Jack
Would be awesome if moose had the power nine.

Speaking of which, I know someone with the entire power nine :O
I have the Blacker Lotus :awesome:

None.

Jul 17 2013, 3:10 am RIVE Post #58

Just Here For The Pie

What the hell happened to the Legendary rule? EDH is ruined!

None.

Jul 17 2013, 5:48 pm Generalpie Post #59

Staredit Puckwork

Quote from RIVE
What the hell happened to the Legendary rule? EDH is ruined!
This.

Vanguard is also ruined.

None.

Jul 17 2013, 8:27 pm Azrael Post #60

Why would EDH be ruined? I'm genuinely curious, as I don't play it.

As someone who plays legendary cards extensively, I can tell you the previous legendary rule was completely broken. Every type of cloning card is an unpreventable non-targeting destruction, and someone stealing your legendary screws you twofold, since they get your powers and you can't even play another one to get it back.

The change to the legendary rule is much appreciated, it makes the gameplay a lot closer to the way it should be. If you want to destroy my card, bring card destruction.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 5 >
  Back to forum