Staredit Network > Forums > SC2 General Discussion > Topic: In defence of SC2
In defence of SC2
Mar 8 2011, 1:11 am
By: NicholasBeige
Pages: < 1 « 2 3 4 5 >

Mar 28 2011, 12:28 am UnholyUrine Post #61

No, cause I don't like it. And from the looks of it, neither does Luzzotica (the person who's made this ver of TS)

Another reason to rage:
I just realize that Luzzotica may just be a region-fodder.. Like Payne with Ahli's Diablo map. Luzzotica may be just helping someone in another region by uploading it on NA server.
This reignites my rage.. WHY THE FUCK ARE THERE NO CROSS-REGION?

None.

Mar 28 2011, 12:46 am NicholasBeige Post #62

why are you raging? by the looks of it, this temple siege map is terrible. Get your ass in gear and make your one awesome, learn the data editor, create a proper game play design document / concept draft. What skills do you actually have? Other than 'being good at design' or 'ideas' - which anyone can be - if you really want something done... you do it yourself... and judging that your rage-o-meter is at over 9000 because of this new temple siege map - that you have somehow attributed to the utter failings of battle.net (surprise surprise) - you really want to make temple siege 2? SO just go fucking do it already and stop raging.

:bye1:

None.

Mar 28 2011, 1:06 am Dem0n Post #63

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Quote from name:Cardinal
The data editor is actually so straightforward. If I had the pc specs to record those tutorial videos - I would...

You create a Unit, you give it an Actor, you create a Weapon for the Unit - then you create the effects you want to weapon to trigger (Create Persistent, Launch Missile, Damage - maybe a Apply Behaviour). Done. It's that straightforward.
Straightforward my ass. Would you care to tell me how exactly I create a unit, give it an actor, and then add a weapon effect to it???

Mar 28 2011, 1:16 am DevliN Post #64

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Quote from name:Dem0nS1ayer
The data editor is actually so straightforward. If I had the pc specs to record those tutorial videos - I would...

You create a Unit, you give it an Actor, you create a Weapon for the Unit - then you create the effects you want to weapon to trigger (Create Persistent, Launch Missile, Damage - maybe a Apply Behaviour). Done. It's that straightforward.
Straightforward my ass. Would you care to tell me how exactly I create a unit, give it an actor, and then add a weapon effect to it???
You know we have tutorials for this on GalaxyWiki, right? Yeah. 'Cause we do.

It actually is really straightforward if you look at it like a simple puzzle. You create a unit. Attach an actor to it by selecting an actor under the "Actor" field. You add a weapon effect to it by selecting a weapon under the "Weapons" field. I shit you not, it is that simple.

\:devlin\: Currently Working On: \:devlin\:
My Overwatch addiction.

Mar 28 2011, 1:28 am NicholasBeige Post #65

Create a new unit object, call it whatever the hell you want, hit suggest.
Create a new actor object, call it whatever you the hell you want, hit suggest. Base this actor on the unit you want your unit to look like, eg, marine.
Change the Token Field to the unit you created less than 10 seconds ago.
This will reset some of the fields to reference the unit you originally created, so now change Actor - Model, Portrait and Placement to the original models used eg. marine.

Create a new weapon object. Decide what you want this weapon to be like.

Instant damage? Like the marines gauss rifle?
Create a Effect of type Damage and link it to the weapon.

Missile? Like the hydra's needle spinse?
Create a Launch Missile effect, link that to the weapon.
Create a Damage effect and link that to the impact of the Launch missile.

Multiple Missiles? Like the Longbolt Missile turret?
Create a Create Persistent effect, linked to the weapon
Then create a Launch Missile which you link to the persistent.
Then finally the damage effect for the impact of the missile.

While you're at it, go to the wiki and learn something yourself.

None.

Mar 28 2011, 2:02 am Dem0n Post #66

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

I can do that in sc1 by opening datedit, changing the attack, changing the graphic, and then putting it into a mod. :P

Mar 28 2011, 2:41 am IskatuMesk Post #67

Lord of the Locker Room

Quote from UnholyUrine
in order to get TS up to the current standards, we'd need to use the data editor.

Well... yeah? How was this unexpected? O.o

Show them your butt, and when you do, slap it so it creates a sound akin to a chorus of screaming spider monkeys flogging a chime with cacti. Only then can you find your destiny at the tip of the shaft.

Mar 28 2011, 2:57 am DevliN Post #68

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Quote from IskatuMesk
Quote from UnholyUrine
in order to get TS up to the current standards, we'd need to use the data editor.

It wasn't unexpected. There was a TS map that was released on SC2 that is identical to the SC1 version (using a Gateway to cast spells and all) and I believe UU is mocking the lack of Data Editor use in that map in relation to his knowledge that the Data Editor would have to be used to make a SC2 map worthwhile (like TS2).

I can do that in sc1 by opening datedit, changing the attack, changing the graphic, and then putting it into a mod. :P
Right, so why is it then so difficult for you to grasp the idea of using the Data Editor if you basically do the same thing? Come on. :rolleyes:

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Mar 28 2011, 3:12 am by DevliN.

My Overwatch addiction.

Mar 28 2011, 3:35 am IskatuMesk Post #69

Lord of the Locker Room

I don't even know what Temple Siege is, so that context kind of escaped me.

I had beam weapons working my first day in the data editor and half the people I hear talking about it don't seem to get those yet so...

Show them your butt, and when you do, slap it so it creates a sound akin to a chorus of screaming spider monkeys flogging a chime with cacti. Only then can you find your destiny at the tip of the shaft.

Mar 28 2011, 4:12 am UnholyUrine Post #70

Either way, it doesn't change the fact that I'm having a hard time contacting this person... while I should've been able to do so with the game alone, I can't even do it through b.net forums.

i'm sure facebook is much much more important.

It actually is really straightforward if you look at it like a simple puzzle.
you know... that isn't exactly doing the editor a favor :P

None.

Mar 28 2011, 4:15 am DevliN Post #71

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

I meant in terms of being able to put pieces together, since everything seems to connect. :D

My Overwatch addiction.

Mar 28 2011, 1:23 pm NicholasBeige Post #72

Quote from IskatuMesk
Quote from UnholyUrine

Straightforward my ass.

Quote from UnholyUrine
No, cause I don't like it.

When I first came to SEN I was churning out articles almost daily. The wiki was a great idea and I thought this was a community that actually wanted to create awesome maps. I havn't written a wiki article since last year October. It became painfully apparent (not only because of UnholyUrine) that members of this community were incapable of learning and that made me question the purpose of writing tutorials and articles when people would simply downright refuse to learn or ignore them entirely.

Which really sucks because there are a few members here who kick ass with the editor (Ahli, aalleecc248, DevliN, Roy and others). But, I guess such is life.

None.

Mar 28 2011, 2:05 pm IskatuMesk Post #73

Lord of the Locker Room

The blizzard community was never big on helping each other out, or listening to those who want to help.

Mar 28 2011, 8:45 pm UnholyUrine Post #74

@Cardinal

Try posting a question in SC1 UMS assistance...

None.

Mar 28 2011, 9:04 pm DevliN Post #75

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Quote from IskatuMesk
The blizzard community was never big on helping each other out, or listening to those who want to help.
While SEN was really great for asking questions and getting detailed responses for SC1 mapmaking, I do agree that it took a while to get to a point where people were openly sharing their secrets. Up until OS Map and Trigger Viewer were released, it seemed like a majority of people protected maps to keep out map stealers but to also keep in whatever methods they had discovered to produce their awesome map. A lot has changed since then, though, as the SC2 mapmaking community seems to care more about sharing knowledge. Unfortunately SEN is not the receptive place it once was, so Cardinal's point is still very valid.

My Overwatch addiction.

Mar 28 2011, 9:27 pm UnholyUrine Post #76

Really? I've never felt a need to protect my maps.... But I'm a late bloomer :P

Cardinal's point is somewhat valid in a sense that it is a Self-fulfilling prophecy. You think that people don't care, and therefore you don't pay as much effort, so less people care, and you think you're correct.

But I find it hard to be enthusiastic about SC2 after all the shit was thrown at us...
I tried the editor.. I really tried. But I felt zero motivation to map for SC2 other than to catch a glimpse of a bright TS2 future, which is ever so faint.
Srsly, I'm more motivated to map in SC1. Besides all of that crap about the editor and battle.net2, it is simply more fun to do something you already know... And that, I think, we're all at fault.

Still, I'm going to attribute this lack of motivation to the fact that sc2 sucks :P.. b/c it really IS the biggest factor driving me away from learning the editor

None.

Mar 28 2011, 9:32 pm DevliN Post #77

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

I actually really enjoyed learning something new with this editor. I'll always enjoy SC1 mapmaking, but I'm also embracing the new editor as being far superior once you get the hang of it.

My Overwatch addiction.

Mar 28 2011, 10:19 pm IskatuMesk Post #78

Lord of the Locker Room

Quote from DevliN
Quote from IskatuMesk
While SEN was really great...

Our side of the fence was completely and totally dead. Almost everything I know about modding is self-taught. Modding on our end was dead in 2001 and remained dead save a few people I tutored, and of all of them only one ever released a finished project (Vile Eggression from Laconius). So, yeah, it has always sucked where I'm from.

Mar 28 2011, 10:35 pm DevliN Post #79

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Oh yeah, from a modding standpoint that's absolutely right. I never got into modding, but it wasn't until Maplantis was around that things started taking off for mods, right?

My Overwatch addiction.

Mar 28 2011, 11:35 pm IskatuMesk Post #80

Lord of the Locker Room

I'm not really sure about SEN's history.

Options
Pages: < 1 « 2 3 4 5 >
  Back to forum