Staredit Network > Forums > SC2 General Discussion > Topic: Blizzard's DotA
Blizzard's DotA
Feb 12 2011, 8:30 am
By: Jack
Pages: < 1 2 3 >

Feb 26 2011, 9:04 pm MillenniumArmy Post #21

I wonder what the original maker of the Starcraft AoS must be thinking about all this... seeing his original idea go from mere UMS popularity to now a blizzard sponsored game and its own stand alone game

None.

Feb 26 2011, 9:08 pm UnholyUrine Post #22

He probably feels proud, and probably have better things to worry about.

None.

Feb 26 2011, 9:13 pm Ahli Post #23

I do stuff and thingies... Try widening and reducing the number of small nooks and crannies to correct the problem.

Quote from UnholyUrine
1) LoL - From what I know (I might be wrong), you need to buy a Champion (hero) in order to be always able to use it. What I heard is that they have different heroes available for free over time. So if you're really serious about the game, and want to have a stable hero, you gotta pay for it.
You can buy them with points you can earn with playing...

Feb 27 2011, 10:12 pm Jack Post #24

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

1) LoL - From what I know (I might be wrong), you need to buy a Champion (hero) in order to be always able to use it. What I heard is that they have different heroes available for free over time. So if you're really serious about the game, and want to have a stable hero, you gotta pay for it.
What ahli said. You don't spend real life money on them if you don't want to. Instead, you get what's called IP (influence points or something) for playing games, whether you lose or win. You get more if you win, and more for playing longer games. People who pay money don't have any advantage over people who play for free at the high levels, and only get a small advantage early on (they can buy runes which take a while to be able to afford them if you play for free, but that's quite minor).

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Mar 1 2011, 5:56 pm DevliN Post #25

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

You can't buy runes with RP ("Riot Points", which cost money) so the only real advantage early on is buying boosts to IP and XP, or buying heroes. Plus I've never seen a champion rotation (which changes weekly) where I couldn't play at least one of the free champions. And I'm sure that's how it is for most people who play LoL.

\:devlin\: Currently Working On: \:devlin\:
My Overwatch addiction.

Apr 25 2011, 7:59 pm Tempz Post #26

I don't think that the transition for w3 (or Hon/lol) to sc2 will happen... just look at sc1 and the South Korean starcraft sports league. Still going strong after the release of sc2. Maybe some will hop onto the bandwagon for sc2 but that will probably less than 10 percent as you stated but in my opinion it would more likely be less than 3 percent.

None.

Apr 25 2011, 8:23 pm DevliN Post #27

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

It already has happened to a degree. SotIS is insanely popular, and SmashCraft already has its own following. I don't think any custom map will make people buy SC2, but the existing MOBA maps on SC2 are already succeeding pretty well.

Also consider that SC1 is still going strong because it is a standalone game. Yeah, people still play WC3 because of DotA, but I bet a lof of WC3 players have SC2 as well and would be willing to play Blizzard Allstars if it is ever released.

My Overwatch addiction.

Apr 25 2011, 8:25 pm Dem0n Post #28

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Quote from DevliN
It already has happened. SotIS is insanely popular, and SmashCraft already has its own following. I don't think any custom map will make people buy SC2, but the existing MOBA maps on SC2 are already succeeding.
I don't understand why people would pay 60 bucks for a shitty online service just to play a certain map when they could pay 30 bucks for HoN or nothing for LoL/DotA.

Apr 25 2011, 8:29 pm DevliN Post #29

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

They wouldn't buy it just to play a map. I'm making the assumption that most WC3 players already have SC2 anyway.

My Overwatch addiction.

Apr 25 2011, 8:44 pm Decency Post #30

I'll give Blizzard's DotA a shot, but with 300 latency at minimum I can't see it being more fun than HoN even with the most amazing heroes and community features ever.

None.

Apr 25 2011, 10:20 pm Tempz Post #31

Most W3 players are on sc2 as the traffic for W3 dropped quite a bit when sc2 came out.

None.

Apr 25 2011, 10:43 pm DevliN Post #32

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Right, so that then helps prove my point. You said 3% of WC3 players will transfer to SC2 and play the MOBA games on SC2. If most WC3 players have SC2 already, then that is much higher than 3%. And I imagine they will play the MOBA games on SC2 as they wont have to pay for anything they haven't already purchased.

My Overwatch addiction.

Apr 25 2011, 11:09 pm ClansAreForGays Post #33

Quote from UnholyUrine
He probably feels proud, and probably have better things to worry about.
Gunner4ever must be dead, or completely done with video games, or we would have definitely at least heard a squeak out of him by now. Unfortunately at this point, it is impossible for someone to say there were the original Gunner4ever and prove it. Maybe it's all for the better, because I know I would go insane seeing something I started grow into the monster that it is now, and having no one but maybe a few close friends believe me. Also, that god for IceFrog having a good conscience (I kow he didn't make the first dota) and officially stating that dota was inspired by AoS, or else all us SC1 nerds would sound like crazy conspiracy theorists whenever we brought it up.

I wonder what other maps gunner made...
Well, at the least, we can say Panzer_Kavelier made the first PvP AoS (the unofficial AoS II map), and plenty of people know him.

Apr 25 2011, 11:54 pm Decency Post #34

Quote from DevliN
Right, so that then helps prove my point. You said 3% of WC3 players will transfer to SC2 and play the MOBA games on SC2. If most WC3 players have SC2 already, then that is much higher than 3%. And I imagine they will play the MOBA games on SC2 as they wont have to pay for anything they haven't already purchased.

War3 players and DotA players are rather distinct groups.

None.

Apr 26 2011, 12:07 am DevliN Post #35

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

I understand that. My point still stands though. I'm under the impression that all WC3 players who specifically played DotA are probably on LoL or HoN right now, if not still clinging to DotA. I'm assuming that most WC3 players did not buy the game for DotA alone, and most WC3 players who bought WC3 because it was WC3 and not because DotA existed have also purchased SC2. It is therefore most likely that people who have SC2 and like playing DotA will play SotIS, SmashCraft, or Blizzard Allstars (if it is ever released).

I get Jack's original point about how Blizz wants a piece of that DotA pie, but I actually don't think they believe it will attract new people to purchase the game. I think if that was their ploy, then they'd be advertising the map more than they have been (which should be easy since they haven't said anything about it other than at BlizzCon). Hopefully they'll talk more about it at the upcoming BlizzCon.

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Apr 26 2011, 12:16 am by DevliN.

My Overwatch addiction.

Apr 26 2011, 12:25 am Vrael Post #36

Maybe they'll charge $$ for the DOTA map on top of buying SC2.

None.

Apr 26 2011, 12:29 am DevliN Post #37

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

That was mentioned earlier, too. I'm no sure why exactly, but I don't think they would do that.

Maybe UU was right and they will release it with the map store. I just want the damn thing out already so I can rape it of its new models.

My Overwatch addiction.

Apr 26 2011, 12:39 am Decency Post #38

all WC3 players who specifically played DotA are probably on LoL or HoN right now, if not still clinging to DotA

It is therefore most likely that people who have SC2 and like playing DotA will play SotIS, SmashCraft, or Blizzard Allstars

I agree with your premises, but your conclusion doesn't follow. Casual players might play it occasionally, but casual players won't make the map popular.

None.

Apr 26 2011, 12:43 am DevliN Post #39

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

The maps are already popular, though. They may not have full-blown tournaments yet, but neither did DotA this early in the game. SotIS even has its own program to rank players outside of SC2.

My Overwatch addiction.

Apr 26 2011, 12:47 am Decency Post #40

If they start having real tournaments, people who are actually good at AoS-style games will come in and wipe the floor with the newbies, just like they did with HoN: SotIS is about as similar.

I doubt it will get to that point, but Blizzard's DotA will be completely new and may be fundamentally different enough to allow new players to "catch up."

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 >
  Back to forum