Tablet?
Jan 28 2011, 7:38 pm
By: A_of-s_t  

Feb 1 2011, 8:26 pm A_of-s_t Post #21

aka idmontie

Currently trying out the Galaxy tab. I might buy it.

Personal GitHub
Starcraft GitHub Organization - Feel free to request member status!
TwitchTV

Feb 1 2011, 11:12 pm A_of-s_t Post #22

aka idmontie

Ok, back at my dorm for the day. I spent a good hour trying out the Galaxy Tab at a Verizon store and here is my run down of it:

-- Pro
-- Con

The size is a good, medium size -- in fact, the floor assistant said that most men prefer the Galaxy Tab while women prefer the iPad.
The size comes at a downfall, as it makes two hand typing almost impossible.
However, typing with one hand is amazingly fluid since the the on-screen keyboard doesn't require you to lift your finger (using the Swype feature).
This would be all well and good, except that I couldn't get Swype to work while browsing the internet (as in typing things into textareas).
I do not have to get a plan to use it, nor to enable wi-fi.
Laggy with Javascript intensive websites.
Has access to Android market (and the Verizon app store).
It was very intuitive. I didn't have to think much when trying to figure out a finger gesture.
Could not find a free drawing program in my limited time browsing the app store.
You can buy an extra keyboard that attaches to it. I was able to use it and you can access everything through the keyboard.
The keyboard is almost $70.00.
The thing has two f*cking cameras. One on each side.

All in all, I like it a lot more than the iPad. While most people may not prefer its size, that was a selling point for me since it is just as functional as the iPad (if not more so). I will go and test it again before making my final decision.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Feb 2 2011, 1:06 am by A_of-s_t.

Personal GitHub
Starcraft GitHub Organization - Feel free to request member status!
TwitchTV

Feb 2 2011, 12:23 pm Centreri Post #23

Relatively ancient and inactive

I've read that the Galaxy Tab had a return rate of ~15%. Just thought I'd let you know (read this yesterday).

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Feb 2 2011, 6:06 pm by Centreri.

None.

Feb 3 2011, 12:22 pm Centreri Post #24

Android 3 Honeycomb preview (skim through video): http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/03/watch-googles-android-event-in-full-honeycomb-on-the-xoom-and/ . Really makes me want one. Also, Samsung says that actual return rates are ~2%, nvm.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Feb 3 2011, 5:39 pm by Centreri.

None.

Feb 9 2011, 1:56 am Rantent Post #25

Yeah I'm liking the XOOM.

None.

Feb 9 2011, 2:03 am Centreri Post #26

I'm rethinking it. The $820 price tag is really too steep, I don't think it's worth it. In light of that, if money is an object, I'd go for the iPad, or if you prefer the Galaxy Tab, that.

None.

Feb 10 2011, 3:55 am Centreri Post #27

HP announced their WebOS tablet. Along with the Playbook, they should make good alternatives to the iPad or Android tablets. The Playbook is, I believe, 7", and the others are 10".

Aaaaaand apparently now the Xoom will likely be sold at ~$1200. Yeah, forget it.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Feb 14 2011, 4:36 am by Centreri.

None.

Feb 27 2011, 2:35 am Rantent Post #28

Or $600 with contract I think I'll keep waiting for wifi only though. G-Slate maybe...

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Feb 27 2011, 3:46 am by Rantent.

None.

Mar 20 2011, 5:41 pm Rantent Post #29

XOOM wifi only will be $600. Released in a week.

For anybody who is still interested, like me.

None.

Mar 20 2011, 5:51 pm Centreri Post #30

Have fun with it.

I'm probably going to wait two years to get a tablet. Then I'll get something awesome that's both laptop and tablet.

None.

Mar 20 2011, 5:54 pm rockz Post #31

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

I'm not one to advocate apple on anything really, but the ipad 2 is better than the XOOM and costs $100 less. With an SDXC card, you'll have all the space you need. It's best to wait around for a while.

I'm going to get an eeetablet eventually, or something with a decent onboard and dual core and keyboard at 10" screen.

"Parliamentary inquiry, Mr. Chairman - do we have to call the Gentleman a gentleman if he's not one?"

Mar 20 2011, 6:01 pm payne Post #32

:payne:

How useful is a tablet anyway?
To me it looks like a waste of cash even if it only costs 5 cents. :/

None.

Options
  Back to forum