Staredit Network > Forums > Serious Discussion > Topic: Is deafness an identity or a disability?
Is deafness an identity or a disability?
Jan 18 2011, 3:57 am
By: dumbducky  

Jan 18 2011, 3:57 am dumbducky Post #1

This was an essay I had to write for college. I thought it would make a good springboard for conversation.

Quote from source
The following issue is taken from Michael J. Sandel's The Case against Perfection: Ethics in the Age of Genetic Engineering (Cambridge, MA: The Belknap Press of Harvard University, 2007. pp 1-2):

A few years ago, an infertile couple decided they wanted to have a child, preferably a deaf one. Both partners were deaf, and proudly so. Like others in the deaf-pride community, Duchesneau and McCullough considered deafness a cultural identity, not a disability to be cured. "Being deaf is just a way of life," said Duchesneau. "We feel whole as deaf people, and we want to share the wonderful aspects of our deaf community-a sense of belonging and connectedness-with children. We truly feel we live rich lives as deaf people."

In hopes of conceiving a deaf child, they sought out a sperm donor with five generations of deafness in his family. And they succeeded. Their son Gauvin was born deaf.

The new parents were surprised when their story, which was reported in The Washington Post, brought widespread condemnation. Most of the outrage focused on the charge that they had deliberately inflicted a disability on their child. Duchesneau and McCullough denied that deafness is a disability and argued that they had simply wanted a child like themselves. "We do not view what we did as very different from what many [. . .] couples do when they have children," said Duchesneau.

Is it wrong to make a child deaf by design? If so, what makes it wrong-the deafness or the design? Suppose, for the sake of argument, that deafness is not a disability but a distinctive identity. Is there still something wrong with the idea of parents picking and choosing the kind of child they will have? Or do parents do that all the time in their choice of mate and, these days, in their use of new reproductive technologies?

My response:

Deaf: Culture vs. Disability
In 2002, a couple who could not conceive naturally decided to seek out a sperm donor so they could have a child. However, the couple had a specific criterion for their donor. They wanted a deaf man. Both of the parents were deaf, so they wanted to have a deaf child. They found a fifth generation deaf man to serve as the donor, and they successfully had a deaf child. When their story was printed in the Washington Post, they were surprised by the negative backlash they received. Many thought that attempting to make your child deaf by design was wrong. The couple defended their decision. To them, deafness was not a disability but a culture, and any normal parent wants their child to be a part of the same culture as the parent. What the couple did was wrong. Their decision was unethical because even if deafness is a culture, it is still a disability and intentionally inflicting a disability on your child is wrong.
Deafness is not a disability, but a culture, the couple argues. "Why shouldn't parents be able to go ahead and pick a black donor if that's what they want?" asked one of them. To them, deafness as a culture overrides deafness as a disability. Their desires to raise their children as members of the same culture are as normal as any other parents’. And to an extent, they are correct. There certainly is a deaf culture. But to believe that since the culture exists around a condition, the condition stops being a disability is an absurdity and a fallacy. The culture sprang up because there was a group with a strong similarity, not the other way around as the couple seems to argue. This is not to denigrate deaf people; the view that deafness is not a disability is a testament to their perseverance and determination to succeed. But it would be silly to think that deafness is not a disadvantage. Besides, why would it be listed along with blindness and paraplegia in the Americans with Disabilities Act? A blind culture and a paraplegic culture exist, but both are still disabilities. The deafness as a culture defense is not a sound one.
Even if the couple had given birth to a hearing child, the child would not be separated from deaf culture. A hearing child growing up in a deaf household would learn American Sign Language, or ASL for short. And according to deafculture.com, deaf culture is “a social, communal, and creative force of, by, and for Deaf people based on [ASL]”. The cornerstone of deaf culture is not necessarily being deaf, but the language that deaf people use. A child who grew up with a deaf family would certainly learn how to sign with them and be able to empathize with their condition to the point where they considered themselves ingrained with deaf culture. Consider Jewish culture. Any non-Jew can attend synagogue, go to a Bar Mitzvah or participate in a Seder. Despite not being ethnically or even religiously Jewish, anyone can participate in Jewish culture. Similarly, anyone can participate in deaf culture without being deaf themselves. Forcing their child to be deaf just to ensure that he is a part of their culture is short-sighted and irresponsible.
What this couple did is unethical and immoral. As sad as it is to admit, being deaf is a disability, and this disability will have consequences for their child. Because of the differences between ASL and English, deaf people who are literate in ASL may not be very literate in written English. The average deaf person reads at a fifth grade level. This is because ASL is not an equivalent language to English. To know both ASL and English is to be bilingual. While a deaf person could be very well versed in written English, this is not the norm. When put into hearing society, the deaf person can only be viewed as disadvantaged. Consequently, the deaf unemployment rate is higher than the general population’s unemployment rate. This is the sad reality that this couple has chosen for their son.
The deaf couple, even if they had good intentions, has done something wrong by engineering a deaf child. Forcing a disability on their child is inexcusable. If they had truly believed that their child would have liked to be a part of deaf culture, then they would have allowed him to make the choice for himself. Instead, they have made the decision and robbed an innocent child of his hearing.

Agree/disagree?

tits

Jan 18 2011, 11:45 am Oh_Man Post #2

Find Me On Discord (Brood War UMS Community & Staredit Network)

Obviously a false dichotomy. It is clearly a disability. And some consider it an identity as well. They aren't mutually incompatible. This is a common mistake, humans love to dichotomize things.

I agree. What they did to the child was selfish and malicious.

Jan 18 2011, 1:20 pm NicholasBeige Post #3

Deafness to one who can hear is a disability. Deafness for people who cannot hear, is an identity. It is a matter of perspective. If everyone in the world was deaf, then it wouldn't be labelled at all.

That this couple chose to have a deaf child has absolutely nothing to do with the Washington Post or anyone else for that matter. If the donor was to have a child anyway, and that child were to be deaf - would he receive the negative backlash from the media? No. It's like condemning all people with any congenital defects in their genes from having children.

I disagree. They brought that child into the world, and if doing so is considered unethical and immoral then there is something perversely wrong with the times we live in.

None.

Jan 18 2011, 10:18 pm dumbducky Post #4

Quote from name:Cardinal
Deafness to one who can hear is a disability. Deafness for people who cannot hear, is an identity. It is a matter of perspective. If everyone in the world was deaf, then it wouldn't be labelled at all.
But everyone isn't deaf, and therefor are labeled as such. Paragraph two of my response details this more thoroughly.
That this couple chose to have a deaf child has absolutely nothing to do with the Washington Post or anyone else for that matter. If the donor was to have a child anyway, and that child were to be deaf - would he receive the negative backlash from the media? No. It's like condemning all people with any congenital defects in their genes from having children. And there is a difference between having a deaf child and designing a deaf child.[/color]
It's the business of the Washington Post when the couple invited a reporter to write their story.
I disagree. They brought that child into the world, and if doing so is considered unethical and immoral then there is something perversely wrong with the times we live in.
There is something unethical and immoral in designing your child to be inferior.
EDIT: I feel it is worth adding that the couple rejected the option of a cochlear implant for their child.

tits

Jan 19 2011, 12:07 am Jack Post #5

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

They brought that child into the world, and if doing so is considered unethical and immoral then there is something perversely wrong with the times we live in.
Parents shouldn't do that sort of thing to their kids, although I don't know that I'd say the government should be the ones to prevent it. Same thing with abortion, why should the parents be allowed to choose whether the kid lives or dies or is deaf or not?

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Jan 19 2011, 1:05 pm Oh_Man Post #6

Find Me On Discord (Brood War UMS Community & Staredit Network)

Abortion is a different issue entirely because there are millions of sperm and thousands of eggs to choose from that are all going to waste anyway.

Jan 19 2011, 1:13 pm Decency Post #7

Quote from name:private_parts
Obviously a false dichotomy.

Yay someone else can use logic. This isn't a very serious discussion topic because it's a stupid question. Eugenics in reverse would be an interesting concept though.

None.

Jan 20 2011, 9:58 am Decency Post #8

PS: Read this. It's good and relevant.

http://www.readbookonline.net/readOnLine/2157/

None.

Jan 31 2011, 3:44 am rayNimagi Post #9

Quote from name:FaZ-

Is it just me or is the moral of that "Sight is more valuable than women"?

As for whether people should be deliberately born with disabilities, I don't think they should. If the deaf parents wanted a deaf child, they could simply teach him ASL and integrate him as any other deaf person, except that he'd have an advantage when it comes to education and his career.

Win by luck, lose by skill.

Jan 31 2011, 4:12 am Centreri Post #10

Relatively ancient and inactive

I'd be like "Your mom is a way of life" and put him in a foster home. Purposefully making a child deaf sounds like child abuse to me.

None.

Jan 31 2011, 5:21 am Rantent Post #11

Disabilities are often used as identifying characteristics because they stand out as an aspect that sets them apart.
People see "cripple" and that becomes a part of their identity.

However, in most cases, being a cripple does not prevent one from enjoying life. The deaf parents realized this, and saw their "disability" as something to be cherished, and passed on. It is no different than anyone trying to pass down an old cultural heritage that may be considered outdated, and hinder someone in modern society. The parents culture was that of deaf individuals. Just as there is a large difference between going to a synagogue and being Jewish, bearing a child that could hear would have set the child apart from them. The public's response to such an act is simply pointing out the fact that many don't understand that a disability can be a good thing.

Being born deaf may have consequences beyond the child's control; but so does most everything else in life, and it is belittling to say that any one characteristic a person has is the reason for their failure, or success, in life.

None.

Jan 31 2011, 11:01 pm FatalException Post #12

What culture the child identifies with should be the child's choice, as it's their identity, not their parents'. Unlike other cultures, though, a deaf child doesn't have the choice to not be deaf. Like it or not, deafness is still a handicap (there isn't anything you can do if you're deaf that you can't do if you're not), and if the parents had been deaf their whole lives, they quite literally wouldn't know what they're missing. Sure, the deaf can still enjoy life; anyone can, but that's not really the question here. I would find it more likely than not that the child would be happier if they were not deaf.

Also, I don't think that it's belittling to say that someone failed in life because they were hit by a car they couldn't hear coming.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Feb 1 2011, 6:46 am by FatalException. Reason: +y

None.

Jan 31 2011, 11:51 pm UnholyUrine Post #13

Despite me being a very open-minded person (really, I am)
I'd have to agree with the comments that disagree with the parents' actions.

I especially liked the post above me
to paraphrase:

Deafness is a not an Identity because the child did not choose to be deaf.

Now, in terms of your essay...
Your first paragraph just paraphrases the article... which is bad and will not score you points in English.
What you need to do is make an argument. Therefore, your first paragraph should introduce both the story and your own opinions. Lastly, and most importantly, it needs a THESIS! Aka a sentence (preferably the last sentence of the paragraph) that describes the things that you're going to talk about.

I like the comment on ASL, as I'm just studying that. Put it simply, sign Language is learned as you communicate with others.. and there's no reason why the baby would not be able to communicate with his parents.

None.

Feb 4 2011, 3:00 am dumbducky Post #14

Link is dead, mind reposting?
Quote from UnholyUrine

to paraphrase:

Your first paragraph just paraphrases the article... which is bad and will not score you points in English.
What you need to do is make an argument. Therefore, your first paragraph should introduce both the story and your own opinions. Lastly, and most importantly, it needs a THESIS! Aka a sentence (preferably the last sentence of the paragraph) that describes the things that you're going to talk about.

I like the comment on ASL, as I'm just studying that. Put it simply, sign Language is learned as you communicate with others.. and there's no reason why the baby would not be able to communicate with his parents.

I'm not looking for someone to proofread my essay, I just thought it was a prompt actually worth discussing. Besides, it has a thesis...

tits

Feb 4 2011, 5:06 am Neki Post #15

Quote from UnholyUrine

to paraphrase:

A child can't choose to be white, or black, or asian either. The colour of your skin is still an identity, it's not rendered void because a child can't choose his own skin colour. While I don't agree with what the parents did, they certainly did everything within the boundaries of the law at this moment in time. It basically boils down to if an unborn child has any rights, and when does an fetus actually become an unborn child.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Feb 4 2011, 6:14 am by Neki.

None.

Feb 4 2011, 5:35 am Decency Post #16

Quote from dumbducky

Link is dead, mind reposting?

The link still worked for me. It's too long to post though. =/

It's a link to "The Country of the Blind" by H.G. Wells, you can probably find it somewhere else for yourself.

EDIT: Try this maybe: http://web.archive.org/web/20071117202658/http://www.readbookonline.net/readOnLine/2157/

None.

Feb 4 2011, 1:50 pm BeDazed Post #17

They would've torn their kid's eardrums out should they have found that if their child wasn't deaf. What is so proud of being incapable of communicating properly with other people? Born-deaf cannot speak, because they never hear. And because born-deaf cannot hear, them and those who can hear have a complete different set of communication. Effectively, those who are born deaf and those who aren't are a completely different race- even more so then White, Black, and Asian. Trying to learn how to speak fluent speaking language is harder than learning the hardest foreign language for most Americans.
They bore their child deaf because they wanted a child of their own race, but chose to isolate their children from the mass- in effect, their child was deprived of infinite amount of possibilities.

There are no deaf Presidents.
There are no deaf CEOs.
There are no deaf Armymen...
In fact, many other jobs such as Lawyers, Pharmacists, Doctors, Police, Firefighting become far from being their dream. No, it becomes near impossible- though there are those who have succeeded the odds, their parents in effect condemned their child socially- especially when born-deaf people have much harder time than those who weren't born deaf but are deaf. Could every deaf beat that odd? No, I think not, when even people with no disability fail to overcome their small odds, I think that deaf kid was condemned from the day their parents deliberately planned their child 'deaf'.

Believe it or not, the peace this world has will not last forever. Resources will become more scarce, and the world will likely grow even more competitive. And considering all this, what insufferable deed has his parents done?

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Feb 4 2011, 2:05 pm by BeDazed.

None.

Feb 6 2011, 2:10 am dumbducky Post #18

Quote from Neki
A child can't choose to be white, or black, or asian either. The colour of your skin is still an identity, it's not rendered void because a child can't choose his own skin colour. While I don't agree with what the parents did, they certainly did everything within the boundaries of the law at this moment in time. It basically boils down to if an unborn child has any rights, and when does an fetus actually become an unborn child.
What is the point of this post? I never said that deafness is not a cultural identity just because it is inherited, I denied that the cultural identity negates its status as a disability. The two are not mutually exclusive. You then discuss the irrelevant legality of the situation. Nobody said what they did was illegal, nor was there any discussion of the rights of unborn children. The essay was written for a scholarship contest, and I had to debate with other applicants this subject. Another kid in the room pretty much took the same position. I don't understand why people keep trying to answer moral questions in a legal framework.

That link just won't work for me. I get an error page whenever I open it up, and the webarchive one doesn't show any text.
EDIT: Webarchive works.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Feb 6 2011, 2:16 am by dumbducky.

tits

Feb 6 2011, 5:20 am Neki Post #19

Quote from dumbducky
Quote from Neki
What is the point of this post? I never said that deafness is not a cultural identity just because it is inherited, I denied that the cultural identity negates its status as a disability. The two are not mutually exclusive. You then discuss the irrelevant legality of the situation. Nobody said what they did was illegal, nor was there any discussion of the rights of unborn children. The essay was written for a scholarship contest, and I had to debate with other applicants this subject. Another kid in the room pretty much took the same position. I don't understand why people keep trying to answer moral questions in a legal framework.

That link just won't work for me. I get an error page whenever I open it up, and the webarchive one doesn't show any text.
EDIT: Webarchive works.

Ducky, I was responding to UU, not you. I'm not sure what gave you the idea that I was talking to you, I quoted UU.

None.

Feb 6 2011, 7:32 pm ClansAreForGays Post #20

Quote from dumbducky
Instead, they have made the decision and robbed an innocent child of his hearing.
The child is ultimately the result if the deaf sperm+egg. If they chose a non-deaf donor the child would never have been given life. We would be talking about a different person all together. Unless you believe in fairy tales and souls.

Options
  Back to forum