Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 Contests > Topic: 2011 Year Long RPG Challenge
2011 Year Long RPG Challenge
Dec 30 2010, 5:03 am
By: lil-Inferno
Pages: < 1 « 17 18 19 20 21 >

Mar 27 2012, 2:03 am Jack Post #361

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

Hey guys, I'm judging the entries for the 2011 Last Stand RPG contest and will be recording and commenting on the RPGs as I play them. The first one is CecilSunkure's Lost Souls RPG part 1, I'll be doing more of it soon, as well as the other RPGs.

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Mar 27 2012, 9:14 am TF- Post #362

🤙ðŸ¾

Cool, will you do multiplayer videos as well? Maybe we can play my map if it still feels like too much to handle in singleplayer, then record that for posterity.

🤙ðŸ¾

Mar 27 2012, 9:35 am Jack Post #363

Quote from TF-
Cool, will you do multiplayer videos as well? Maybe we can play my map if it still feels like too much to handle in singleplayer, then record that for posterity.
Multiplayer is a definite for maps with multiplayer slots. I'd love to play your RPG with you, although I'll be busy for the next couple of days at least with work and some other projects.

And it was too much to handle in multiplayer, I haven't tried it in single player yet :P

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Mar 27 2012, 2:48 pm Oh_Man Post #364

Find Me On Discord (Brood War UMS Community & Staredit Network)

20 minute map reviews? Who is this Jack guy - and why is he so much better than Lil?

(I hope you make a review vid for my map when I release it. ^^ )

EDIT: Oh, it is more like a Let's Play than a review. You should make shorter videos of cut together footage of the game while you read your review from a script (or just freeflow that shit).

Also in the next video you need to sort out your sound levels better.

Dude you should make a separate thread for this - this is a really good idea.

Post has been edited 3 time(s), last time on Mar 27 2012, 2:59 pm by Oh_Man.

Mar 27 2012, 6:27 pm Jack Post #365

Yep sound levels were messed up, but cecil wanted first impressions for his map so I couldn't really redo it; the next one should have much better sound levels.

HURRY UP AND FINISH YOR MAP OHMAN

Red classic.

Mar 27 2012, 10:38 pm CecilSunkure Post #366

Quote from Jack
Hey guys, I'm judging the entries for the 2011 Last Stand RPG contest and will be recording and commenting on the RPGs as I play them. The first one is CecilSunkure's Lost Souls RPG part 1, I'll be doing more of it soon, as well as the other RPGs.

Haha very cool! I didn't really introduce spells to the player at all which is why you died. Sorry about that! Just needed to use the heal spell is all :P

I'm afraid my other submission was much more user-friendly and polished than the one you made a video of. Wish you had recorded that one instead haha.

None.

Mar 28 2012, 12:14 am EzTerix Post #367

What songs were playing in your letsplay?

I think im more interested in your itunes library :P

None.

Mar 28 2012, 4:38 am Jack Post #368

Cecil, I plan on recording your other map too, although I've already played it once; I'll try to emulate what my first impressions were.

EzTerix, when I get home from work I'll add the song list to the description.

Red classic.

Mar 28 2012, 5:17 am CecilSunkure Post #369

Quote from Jack
Cecil, I plan on recording your other map too, although I've already played it once; I'll try to emulate what my first impressions were.

EzTerix, when I get home from work I'll add the song list to the description.
Oh cool! You don't have to emulate first impression though, that's alright. Just play it and tell me what you think/thought first time around would be so awesome ^_^

Good job with the first video can't wait to see the rest.

None.

May 2 2012, 6:47 pm Cadia- Post #370

is it possible for another sc1 contest?

None.

May 2 2012, 8:49 pm Oh_Man Post #371

I would love to see another contest however we need reliable hosts. Just look at this farce with the judging in this one.
Also the judging criteria needs a complete overhaul it is pretty dodgy.
Better rewards could provide higher incentive and perhaps higher quality maps?

Who else would be interested in another RPG contest?

May 3 2012, 12:35 am FoxWolf1 Post #372

I didn't get around to getting that much done on Starline in 2011, but if there's another long RPG contest, I might go back to it.

It'd have to be decently far in the future, though...too much work at the moment as it is.

None.

May 4 2012, 8:57 pm Cadia- Post #373

would any one be willing to host it?

None.

May 5 2012, 1:00 pm Oh_Man Post #374

I would host it. But my type of contest would have my own rules I made myself, I would be the only person to judge, it wouldn't have to be a new RPG specifically for this contest, and the prize would be like some computer peripherals or cash or something. See a contest to me is an incentive to try and milk the community for quality RPGs, not some sort of contest between mappers for prestige.

So if anyone is interested in that then speak your piece.

May 5 2012, 3:55 pm Chia-Tyrant Post #375

I'll definitely try to participate if you host one and it lasts more than one week. I'm a little too busy to make anything in less than that right now. However, I don't recommend making it last for more than a month as procrastination tends to get the better of most entrants as we saw in the year-long one.

It's also really nice of you to offer to purchase prizes ^^

None.

May 6 2012, 2:39 pm Oh_Man Post #376

When do the american holidays start? I would host it at the start of that. Also if it is only for a month I would probably only have a first place prize. I was thinking 6 months (is 1 month really enough time to make a good quality RPG??). Also I would want to have like, at least 10 participants, to bother hosting it.

May 6 2012, 3:41 pm lil-Inferno Post #377

Just here for the pie

Quote from Oh_Man
When do the american holidays start? I would host it at the start of that. Also if it is only for a month I would probably only have a first place prize. I was thinking 6 months (is 1 month really enough time to make a good quality RPG??). Also I would want to have like, at least 10 participants, to bother hosting it.
Around late December. Also as we saw in the one-week contests, quality maps can definitely be made in short time spans.

May 6 2012, 4:42 pm FoxWolf1 Post #378

Maybe a summer contest? 1 June - 31 August? Three months should be enough time for good results, and with enough room to accommodate varying schedules, while not being quite so vast as 6 months or a year.

None.

May 6 2012, 5:18 pm Oh_Man Post #379

Hmm OK sounds good. Anyone who is interested make yourself heard here, if there is a good amount of people, come 1st of June I will make a thread specifying my competition and its rules.

Here is the basics of what it will be:
* 3 - month RPG contest, no mods allowed. EUD actions not allowed. EUD conditions are fine. Multiplayer allowed. PvP is allowed but shouldn't really be the focus in a story-driven map.
* Remember its an RPG so it has to be story driven, you can't just have an arena map like Elementa, even though it could well be possible to make a story-driven arena map (think Mortal Kombat).
* Prizes will come in three tiers, 1st place can choose from any tier, 2nd can choose from second and third tier, and 3rd place chooses from third tier only. Tiers are according to price. You can suggest prizes and I will add them to the list.
* Tier 1 will be $300 max, Tier 2 will be 150ish dollars, Tier 3 will be under $100.
* Judging - is based on solely my subjective opinion. Let's not fool ourselves with all these templates and ratings you see in other comps, judging maps is a qualitative not quantitative experience.
* Things that will impress: innovation is always good, pushing the editor to its limits like creating a shooter type thing like RUSH, or screen tiles like Fallen Memories. Extended terrain is nice, and systems! Spell systems, item systems, character progression, boss battles dynamic monster spawning, day/night, shuttle/dropship menus, etc. In-depth storylines. Puzzles.
* You can use maps you have already made, however if you are doing this you must submit your old map as soon as you join the competition, because I would be contrasting that to your final submission and my judging would be focused primarily on the progress you made. This is mostly for people who started RPGs but never finished them to pick them up again and finish them off. Something like Tenebrous (by Vrael) for example would not win because so much work has already been done on it, whereas something like Wonder (by qpirateking) would.
* RPGs I liked, Rush, Deep Blue, Deep Six, Legacy of Haen, Arcane Arts, Spellsword, Death Knights 3, Cataclysm, Lost Souls (Cecil), Lost Souls (Ultimo), Wonder, Essence, Fallen Memories, Middle of the Ocean, So it Begins/Webs of Fire, Dwellers of the Depths, Autocracy, Tenebrous.

Remember, this competition is not really a battle between mappers, at least not in my eyes. That's not the reason I am hosting this. I know we have a large community of powerful mappers and I want to extract great RPGs from them. RPGs I can play and enjoy (solo or with friends) for years to come. That's why I am hosting this.

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on May 6 2012, 5:36 pm by Oh_Man.

May 19 2012, 1:47 pm xAngelSpiritx Post #380

eternal lurker

So it's now been a bit over 4 months. While I understand that good judging takes time...may I at least request a progress update?

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 « 17 18 19 20 21 >
  Back to forum