Staredit Network > Forums > SC2 Custom Maps > Topic: SEN Arena
SEN Arena
Nov 21 2010, 2:26 am
By: DevliN
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 59 >

Nov 23 2010, 8:31 am DevliN Post #41

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Wow, I ran into another problem :( . I really need to be able to get my weapon to wave, revolve, or orbit. The thing on the wiki doesn't help as my weapons don't do the effects.
All weapons have effects, first off. That's how they do damage. :P What you need to find is the Mover of the weapon your hero is using, and change that to "Revolver," "Wave," or "Orbit" to get that look when the weapon is fired.

EDIT:
You're using the D-8 Charge, right? In the Data Editor go to "Data Type: Movers" and find "D8Charge." To make it a "Revolver," "Wave," or "Orbit" type, double-click on the space next to "Motion Overlays+" and add an overlay. Change the "Type" of the overlay to one of those 3 options, and then you'll have to play around with the numbers to get the desired effect.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Nov 23 2010, 8:42 am by DevliN.

\:devlin\: Currently Working On: \:devlin\:
My Overwatch addiction.

Nov 23 2010, 7:48 pm UnholyUrine Post #42

Any idea on how I may go about doing the "Corrosive Urine" spell?

What looks like a puddle of pee? :\

maybe green creep?

None.

Nov 24 2010, 4:05 am EzDay281 Post #43

Lacking SC2, I, sadly, probably cannot participate - but I'll see if I can find a way to take advantage of... basically all of my offline friends by chance having SC2 to throw a unit together quick. I've lately been thinking about a bunch of character concepts for a DotA-clone in my spare hours, in fact.

Since this is supposed to be Arena-based combat, do we include combative NPCs as well or just have various arenas on a map for FFA or team games?
If you mean random, hostile, computer-controlled units, I say yes. More bloodshed!
What do you guys think about maybe removing weapons so it is all based on abilities instead?
All this does is eliminate potential, potentially fun, heroes. A 'no' vote.

I'm not sure how practical heavy terrain-modification is via triggers in SC2, but if reasonable, I think that a 'random terrain' option could be pretty cool, so that you can't just memorize specific camping and ambush spots for a given hero, or places where a particular hero's especially vulnerable.

None.

Nov 24 2010, 4:48 am DevliN Post #44

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Quote from UnholyUrine
Any idea on how I may go about doing the "Corrosive Urine" spell?

What looks like a puddle of pee? :\

maybe green creep?
Corrosive Urine: Ranged AoE that Covers an Area that slows units/heroes down and deals DoT for 5-10 seconds? (more focused on slowing people down).. Either that or: an AoE attack that, once infected, slow units down and DoT/removes all armor effects for the duration. Use bane's explosion effects or something like that. Cooldown/Energy requirements = okay

Basically you'll need to make an "Effect - Target" Ability. The "Effect" for that Ability needs to link to a "Search" Effect. The "Search" Effect will trigger an "Apply Behavior" Effect in a certain area (which you can determine in the "Search - Areas+" field). The "Apply Behavior" Effect will place the DoT "Behavior" on all enemy targets (in the area determined by the "Search" Effect). The DoT "Behavior" will be a "Buff" that modifies the Movement Speed Multiplier (to slow the enemy), Life Armor Multiplier (to reduce the enemy armor), and Vital Regeration Bonus (set to a negative amount so life is removed each second), and has a duration of whatever you want.

To add the explosion effect, you would need to make an Actor (of the type "Model" and based on "ModelAnimationStyleOneShot"). Then in the "Event - Events" you would need to link that to the effect that occurs. You can do that by adding the Event: "Msg Type:" Behavior, "Source Name:" the name of your DoT Behavior, and "Sub Name:" Create. Then set the action under it to "Create." After that, you'll need to attach the actor to the enemy units that the ability hits by changing "Hosting - Host" to alias "_Unit," and the "Hosting - Host Site Operations+" to "SOpAttachCenter."

I may have missed something, but my brain is fried at the moment.

My Overwatch addiction.

Nov 24 2010, 4:56 am CecilSunkure Post #45

How far along in development is this awesome looking map?

None.

Nov 24 2010, 5:25 am DevliN Post #46

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

That depends on how far along everyone else is on making their heroes. :D

EDIT:
So I started messing around with arena ideas. I figure there will be one large DotA-like arena, a couple mid-sized team arenas (for deathatch and CTF games), some mid-sized FFA arenas, and then smaller FFA/deathmatch arenas.

Here's something I just quickly threw together as an idea for a team 2v2v2v2 or 4v4 team deathmatch arena. Ultimately I'll fix the width of the lanes so they all match up a bit better.

Each of the "P" markers would be powerup spawns, and the powerup in the middle will be a big one. What you can't see are the sight-blockers scattered around the ramps (and a line of them diagonally on top of the ramps, to hide the big powerup). There are 4 Xel'Naga Towers as well with the range reduced so that they can see their lanes and the corners of the middle area, but not actually see inside that area. Originally I was messing with the idea of a capture-and-hold scenario for the middle area, but unfortunately given the limited space on a 256 x 256 map (considering how many arenas would need to be placed on it), I just went with this instead.

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Nov 25 2010, 3:28 am by DevliN.

My Overwatch addiction.

Nov 25 2010, 10:40 pm DevliN Post #47

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

I worked a bit more on my Hero:
// DEVLIN
  • Model(s) Used: Ursadak and Vulture
  • Health: 000
  • Shields: 000
  • Damage: 0
  • Armor: 0
  • Abilities: 3 active, 1 passive
    [Q] Restrict Access: Slows enemies in the target area by 50%. Adds a combo point to the Hero (maximum 10).
    [W] Add Severity: Passively gives a 10% chance to critically strike enemies. Each critical hit adds a combo point to the Hero (maximum 10).
    [E] DELETED!!!: Fires missiles in a line at the target. Damage is increased by 10% per combo point on the Hero.
    [R] Banhammer: Slams the target enemy with an administrative banhammer, dealing large amounts of damage initially. A damage over time debuff is placed on the enemy for each combo point on the Hero.

I still haven't figured out his health/damage/armor, but I figure exact values will be fleshed out when we have to balance everything.

My Overwatch addiction.

Nov 29 2010, 5:11 pm Neki Post #48

Bleu the Dragon
Model: Who knows.
Health: ???
Shields: 0
Damage: ??
Armor: ??
Abilities: 4 active
[Q] Fire Breath: Bleu dashes forward, leaving a stream of fire in his wake. Deals damage based on his intial dash, and leaves fiery embers in his path, dealing DPS over 5 seconds.
[W] Ice Breath: Bleu releases an icy blast of icicles into a target area, stunning targets for 1.5 seconds. Once the stun has elapsed, damage will be dealt and targets will dethaw and slowly regain movement speed over the next 3.5 seconds.
[E] Lightning Breath: Bleu unleashes a maelstorm of lightning in a cone directly in front of him. This effect will continue to persist for several seconds, dealing magical damage and reducing armor (or if we have magic armor) to his targets. The overall damage will be split between all targets that are in the cone.
[R] Dragon's Breath: Bleu is able to enhance his own breath attacks with mimicry, allowing him to re-cast his previous spell, increasing the effect of the spell by 30%

Will I ever finish this? No, probably not. He is a cool hero with awesome synergy though. :awesome:

None.

Nov 29 2010, 9:03 pm DevliN Post #49

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

It's supposed to be your member name. :P You sure you don't want Ultimo the Dragon?

And how is everyone coming along with their heroes? I have 2 of my 4 abilities done, and all the model/actor work completed.

My Overwatch addiction.

Nov 30 2010, 12:09 am Neki Post #50

Ultimo the Dragon sounds terrible though. I'll just say he's my pet. I guess I'm more suited to making DotA ideas for heroes. :P :awesome:

None.

Nov 30 2010, 2:00 am payne Post #51

:payne:

Not much time to map, and won't have much until the end of school. :/

None.

Dec 1 2010, 5:31 pm Biophysicist Post #52

My hero is mostly done... Most of what's left is making it flashy and awesome.

None.

Dec 1 2010, 11:04 pm DevliN Post #53

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Awesome, good to hear. Cardinal uploaded his hero to the DLDB and though it has a handful of bugs, it's good to see some more progress on this project.

I did notice one thing, though, that should probably be addressed. Is this going to be an arena where the heroes just have their spells and go at it, or are the spells supposed to level up. I was under the impression that the heroes didn't level up (since almost all the arenas don't have neutral units to kill), so we wouldn't need to worry about that. if that's not the case, however, I need to do a lot more work on my hero. :D

My Overwatch addiction.

Dec 2 2010, 12:26 am Biophysicist Post #54

I'd rather a pure arena.

None.

Dec 2 2010, 12:37 am Riney Post #55

Thigh high affectionado

// DarkMarine
Model(s) Used: Marine
Health: 525
Shields: 25 (Starts at 0)
Damage: Average Low
Armor: 2
Abilities: 3 active, 1 passive
[Q] Grenade Toss: Throws a grenade at a target area. Does rather low damage (Probably 65-85) but slows all enemies inside the blast zone by 20% for 5 seconds. 15 second cool down
[W] Prototype Barrier: [Passive] Increases max shields to hero by 15 then +5 per level then after. [active] Constantly sets the hero's shields to the max for 10 seconds providing a rather large defensive boost. 30 second cool down. Passive is deactivated until the cooldown is over.
[E] Focus Fire: [Passive] Increases base attack speed by 3% per level. [Active] Quadruples the passive boost to effectively give 5x overall. 5 mana per second. Toggleable
[R] Zombie Time: The hero's favorite enemies spawn around the target enemy for 5 seconds and have 3 hp each, however have 250 armor each and are immune to skills.

Edit these stats as needed.

Riney#6948 on Discord.
Riney on Steam (Steam)
@RineyCat on Twitter

-- Updated as of December 2021 --

Dec 2 2010, 12:42 am LoveLess Post #56

Let me show you how to hump without making love.

// LOVELESS
  • Model(s) Used: Ghost and Zergling, but both use lavender smoke actors on them, then tinted lavender themselves.
  • Health: Little.
  • Shields: None.
  • Damage: Medium, very short attack range, nearly melee.
  • Armor: Little.
  • Abilities: 4 Active
    [Q] Dance!: Summons a dancing Zergling and at the moment he finishes his dance, explodes and poisons nearby enemies for high damage + stun.
    [W] Vaporstrike: Puffs into a cloud of smoke and teleports to a selected location. The two nearest targets to each point are struck as if they were attacked by Loveless.
    [E] Ham?: Slows the attack speed and movement speed of Loveless for three seconds, but stuns the target upon landing the strike. His rifle erupts into a glowing light while the effect is active.
    [R] Vaporware: Loveless bursts into a large smoke cloud and slows all targets within a large range, the smoke cloud can attack up to 5 random targets with Loveless' normal attack each second.

None.

Dec 2 2010, 1:31 am Biophysicist Post #57

DM.

There are no levels.

At least according to the current plan.

None.

Dec 2 2010, 4:33 am OlimarandLouie Post #58

Changes underlined.

Quote from OlimarandLouie
// OlimarandLouie
  • Model(s) Used: Zealot
  • Health: 550
  • Shields: 50
  • Damage: To be determined, Melee
  • Armor: 5-10, To be determined
  • Abilities: 4 Active
    [Q] Riftwalk: Teleports to target nearby enemy (Blink range) in an Ęther-like style, dealing 30-50 damage and "silencing" (Silenced cannot use any abilities) the target for 2.5 seconds.
    [W] Blades of the Void: Gains +50% attack speed and ignores enemy armor for 5 seconds, each ability cast near OlimarandLouie (Sight range) will increase that time by one second.
    [E] Ęther Strike: Next attack deals triple damage.
    [R] Terror of the Abyss: Gains 30% of max health, takes double damage, deals double damage, and move speed increased by 2 for 8 seconds. Turns cloaked but still visible. (Just for looks, isn't actually cloaked, but it looks like it)

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Dec 7 2010, 3:19 am by OlimarandLouie.

None.

Dec 2 2010, 4:38 am DevliN Post #59

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Yeah, it would be better to avoid levels unless we make an AoS/DotA version of this.

My Overwatch addiction.

Dec 2 2010, 4:56 am NicholasBeige Post #60

Quote from DevliN
Awesome, good to hear. Cardinal uploaded his hero to the DLDB and though it has a handful of bugs, it's good to see some more progress on this project.

Aalleecc248 started working on that for me. I THINK the initial idea he took was from one of the MOBA threads. But it was my bad for literally suggesting the same hero (Elemental Archon) for the MOBA and for the Arena. I think that version that's in the DLDB is for the MOBA. I'll message Aalleecc and ask, because I would quite like to create my own guy 100% for this Arena... purely so I know how imba he will be!

(ALSO, it is fucking shit that I won't be able to play this... since you're all E-Merikans)...

Quote from DevliN
I did notice one thing, though, that should probably be addressed. Is this going to be an arena where the heroes just have their spells and go at it, or are the spells supposed to level up. I was under the impression that the heroes didn't level up (since almost all the arenas don't have neutral units to kill), so we wouldn't need to worry about that. if that's not the case, however, I need to do a lot more work on my hero. :D

I think some sort of Level-Up would be good. Maybe something really simple and not even in the Beta/Alpha builds of the map - as in, added later if we can be bothered.

I was thinking like, it would be pretty boring if you and 4 other players enter the map, pick your heroes, and then just battle it out. That sort of version will pretty much have very little replay value unless we are all master-craftsmen at creating fucking awesome units (Which I don't think we are)...

It would also bring a level of skill and strategy, in knowing your own hero, and knowing your enemy hero's and seeing what skills they choose to have. And then picking a skill set or strategy which will defend or counter their choices...

My basic idea for this is that each player has his own timer, and every 45, 60, 120, 180 seconds of real time (people can vote on this duration) you gain a level and a skill point.

Getting a 'Hero Kill' reduces your own timer by 5, 10, 20 and 30 seconds, depending on what time setting was chosen.

So, this way, everyone sort of levels up together. Sure, if you're godlike and kill 5 hero's in the first minute of the game play, you'll only be 1 or 2 levels higher than your opponents which isn't much of a difference.

We could also (maybe) implement that if you get killed, 5, 10, 20 or 30 seconds are added to your timer, and maybe you can get 'set back a level'. If, for example the Time to Level up is on 60 seconds, but you die 3 times very quickly, your timer will get +20 seconds, +20 seconds, +20 seconds (so if you die 3 times in less than a minute), you lose a level.

This will make diplomacy and strategic ganking of the strongest player a viable strategy to put yourself back into the game.

Then we could have Victory Conditions such as First Player to Reach level 10. Or, first to 20 kills, etc. etc. etc.

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 59 >
  Back to forum