Staredit Network > Forums > Serious Discussion > Topic: December 21st, 2012
December 21st, 2012
This topic is locked. You can no longer write replies here.
Nov 21 2007, 12:11 am
By: ShinRa
Pages: < 1 « 9 10 11 12 13 >

Feb 29 2008, 2:57 am FatalException Post #201

And as for the polar shift theory, it DOESN'T mean the planet will flip itself over and the physical north and south poles will switch places. It means that compasses will read the opposite. MAGNETIC north will change, not TRUE north (if we still consider what the north pole is now to be true north).

None.

Mar 1 2008, 3:33 am Money Post #202

Quote from JordanN
December 22nd, 2012. 12:00am. I will go on SEN and call those who said the world will end, idiots.

What timezone?

None.

Mar 1 2008, 6:00 am Twitch Post #203

Man I am gonna use my life more wisely.
On a more practical note though if any and I do mean any of this is true we are fucked =[.

None.

Mar 1 2008, 4:19 pm lil-Inferno Post #204

Just here for the pie

I learned in Science a few days ago that there was supposed to be a black hole? Any clarification?

The Magnetic Poles will switch, which means we will need to change North and South (Compass needles point to the north pole), GPS Systems won't work correctly, and basically we would have to live life differently. Personally I don't think we will die, but our lives will change.

Mar 1 2008, 5:11 pm Moose Post #205

We live in a society.

Quote from ShinRa
Scientist today have discovered that there is indeed a black hole in the center of the galaxy, that our sun WILL align with on December 21st 2012.
There is always a straight line connecting two points? ;o

Mar 1 2008, 6:29 pm WoAHorde Post #206

He says Sol, the Centre Black Hole, and Earth will be collinear, which won't do a bloody thing, seeing as we are collinear at random points in time.

None.

Mar 1 2008, 7:09 pm FatalException Post #207

Quote from lil-Inferno
The Magnetic Poles will switch, which means we will need to change North and South (Compass needles point to the north pole), GPS Systems won't work correctly, and basically we would have to live life differently. Personally I don't think we will die, but our lives will change.
... Didn't I just say that?

None.

Mar 1 2008, 11:12 pm frazz Post #208

Quote from Mini Moose 2707, post #205
Quote from ShinRa
Scientist today have discovered that there is indeed a black hole in the center of the galaxy, that our sun WILL align with on December 21st 2012.
There is always a straight line connecting two points? ;o
Lets, see how many pages old is this?
Quote from ClansAreForGays, post #70
First of all, wtf are you talking about 'aligning'. You don't even knw what the hell it means. You need atleast THREE points for there to be an alignment, and they have to sit on the same ray/line.
Ok so you've got the sun, and you've got the blackhole. We do your fudged 2-point alignment and connect the dots. Oh wait, THEN they are ALWAYS aligned.
About 7 pages old. It's not like you were even inactive at that time and jumped on just now. For shame Moose.

Edit: Although I must say, you said it a bit more concisely.

None.

Mar 2 2008, 5:29 am FooFighters Post #209

1.Do you believe in this?
2.What your going to do about it?
3.What your going to do before it happens?
4."OMFG wtf why u sho me dis I is teh scared!!!111oneoen"
Note: That i added the numbers so i can give u my answers...
1. No
2. Continue with my Unhealthy lives
3. If it does happen, i'ma create a virus that turns ppl into fish-people thingies
4. Actually, i'm not scared, this says we have about 4 years, and 7 months to live... i'd be only like 18 years old and still not believin it...

And let me know this question:
Can you PROVE it with your own brain?

None.

Mar 2 2008, 1:52 pm JordanN Post #210

1.Fuck No.
2. Continue my regular life as always.
3.As mentioned go on SEN post who said it would happen, idiots. :D
4.Why be scared of a freaken theory. No where does it say it's true. A theory, not a proven fact. People are taken the ancient mayans to seriously. They believed a bird on a cactus was god. What's next? They find an ancient italian tribe who predict the world will end on 2100 by mass spontaneous combustion?

None.

Mar 3 2008, 6:59 am Rantent Post #211

1. Well, think about it, a new president will be newly elected, but not in office. I could see Hillary freaking out and Putin nuking the world. So lets just say I'm skeptical, but it could happen.
2. Float away in a self sufficient blimp 40,000 ft above the earth.
3. Dig for treasure, obviously. I need some way to pay for such a blimp.
4. I'm freaking out too, I have no idea where to look for buried treasure.

None.

Mar 3 2008, 10:50 pm JordanN Post #212

4. I'm freaking out too, I have no idea where to look for buried treasure.
I recommend you set sail for the grand line to be in search for the greatest treasure in the world, one piece.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Mar 4 2008, 2:02 am by JordanN.

None.

Mar 4 2008, 2:01 am Laser Dude Post #213

FlyingHat asked me to give my opinion, so here it is. Take in mind I haven't read all 11 pages.

First off, "{Citation Needed}": None of your 'facts' have been backed up by anything other than youtube videos. I'd even be happy to see a Wikipedia article showing half the 'facts' you told us.

Second, even if the Sun is going to line up with a massive black hole doesn't mean that anything significant will happen. We're in free-fall around the Sun, so the Sun's gravity has no effect on us. The Sun and this black hole you speak of are most likely far too far away to create any tidal forces significant enough to do damage.

Most of these are built off religions and beliefs of other people, most of which/whom were probably influenced by one another. If one old society sets up the end of the world around one time, it's bound to influence the beliefs of later civilizations.

Just because we're about 5,000 years due for a polar shift doesn't give us any correct indication for when it's going to happen. And even if it does, all that's going to happen is the poles swap, (and there's severe UV radiation for a few years, but it's not like we can't stop that)

All that was expected on Y2K was a general computer calculation error, because the first computers used a two-digit year, not a four-digit one, and all the computers were going to hit a buffer overflow at the exact same moment. The only error would be with anything that depended on the time, namely navigation systems and the economy. It was also beleived that all the nukes would detonate, but the designers were smarter than to make them detonate on buffer overflow. :P

None.

Mar 4 2008, 2:35 am FooFighters Post #214

Quote from Laser Dude
FlyingHat asked me to give my opinion, so here it is. Take in mind I haven't read all 11 pages. First off, "{Citation Needed}": None of your 'facts' have been backed up by anything other than youtube videos. I'd even be happy to see a Wikipedia article showing half the 'facts' you told us. Second, even if the Sun is going to line up with a massive black hole doesn't mean that anything significant will happen. We're in free-fall around the Sun, so the Sun's gravity has no effect on us. The Sun and this black hole you speak of are most likely far too far away to create any tidal forces significant enough to do damage. Most of these are built off religions and beliefs of other people, most of which/whom were probably influenced by one another. If one old society sets up the end of the world around one time, it's bound to influence the beliefs of later civilizations. Just because we're about 5,000 years due for a polar shift doesn't give us any correct indication for when it's going to happen. And even if it does, all that's going to happen is the poles swap, (and there's severe UV radiation for a few years, but it's not like we can't stop that) All that was expected on Y2K was a general computer calculation error, because the first computers used a two-digit year, not a four-digit one, and all the computers were going to hit a buffer overflow at the exact same moment. The only error would be with anything that depended on the time, namely navigation systems and the economy. It was also beleived that all the nukes would detonate, but the designers were smarter than to make them detonate on buffer overflow. :P

I believe u Laser...
He doesnt have the facts as you claim, and besides, i know enough about earth elements that i know that nothing like this will happen by Šecember 12, 2012... The only way we will be flooded is when the ice caps melt! i dont care about Global Warming, so i think it wont happen for at least 200 years!

None.

Mar 4 2008, 4:22 am Ryan Post #215

I don't understand why a polar shift would kill us. And wouldn't we be aligned with the sun and the black hole like once every year?

O <-Black Hole
-\
--\o <-Sun
---\-. <-Earth <- Not aligned

O <-Black Hole
-\
--o <-Sun
---. <-Earth <- Aligned [WOAH WTF POLARSHIFT?!?!1!!1one]

I know that's a horrible example, but the Black Hole and the Sun are always connected by some sort of perfectly straight line, and Earth rotates around the sun, so eventually the Black Hole, the Sun, and Earth are all aligned once a year right?

Or is it because Earth finishes it's wobble as well?

None.

Mar 4 2008, 4:22 am FlyingHat Post #216

Quote from RP-Ichigo
The only way we will be flooded is when the ice caps melt! i dont care about Global Warming, so i think it wont happen for at least 200 years!
Well, it's true that the ice caps will flood coasts around the world, but it depends on the geography of the area that is being flooded. I think it would happen much sooner than 200 years, an observation showed that a decent sized chunk of Antartica had melted away in a few months.'

Edit:
Quote from Anonymous
I don't understand why a polar shift would kill us. And wouldn't we be aligned with the sun and the black hole like once every year?

O <-Black Hole
-\
--\o <-Sun
---\-. <-Earth <- Not aligned

O <-Black Hole
-\
--o <-Sun
---. <-Earth <- Aligned [WOAH WTF POLARSHIFT?!?!1!!1one]

I know that's a horrible example, but the Black Hole and the Sun are always connected by some sort of perfectly straight line, and Earth rotates around the sun, so eventually the Black Hole, the Sun, and Earth are all aligned once a year right?

Or is it because Earth finishes it's wobble as well?
Well actually the Sun and the Earth aligning with this black hole in the center of the universe doesn't have anything to do with polar shift. It has to do with the end of the world which doesn't have any solid proof.

FatalException explained polar shift a bit earlier:
Quote from FatalException
And as for the polar shift theory, it DOESN'T mean the planet will flip itself over and the physical north and south poles will switch places. It means that compasses will read the opposite. MAGNETIC north will change, not TRUE north (if we still consider what the north pole is now to be true north).

None.

Mar 4 2008, 5:26 am frazz Post #217

Well actually the Sun and the Earth aligning with this black hole in the center of the universe doesn't have anything to do with polar shift. It has to do with the end of the world which doesn't have any solid proof.
Oh right in the center

None.

Mar 5 2008, 3:57 am midget_man_66 Post #218

It seems to me, that this is a hot topic...simply because of the consperacy feeling of it all. It seems to have the attractive nature of science along with the "two dudes sittin on a couch make up a theory to freak every1 out" kinda feeling to it. lol, a bit simplistic but hey! those are my types of examples. Now to comment further....I dont think it will happen simply because i have no desire for it to happen. Im not saying that because i dont want it to happen it wont, im just saying because i dont want it to happen i dont think it will. The theory is a little iffish on the science. The black hole may align with the sun and the earth....But....the gravitational pull wouldnt effect earth any more in its position wether its aligned with the sun or not. It would make more sense to say, we are rapidly getting closer to the black hole, and we may become sucked in. The fact that the sun and earth line up with the black hole has no physical value whatsoever....

None.

Mar 5 2008, 10:38 pm frazz Post #219

I don't think anyone, save the topic creator, was thinking that.

None.

Mar 6 2008, 12:00 am midget_man_66 Post #220

Well, thinking what? i dont see any other way the world would "end" physically besides that. whats the signifigance of the black hole if it has nothing to do with how the world ends? im sorry, i suppose i wasnt well informed about this topic before i stepped in....excuse me.

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 « 9 10 11 12 13 >
  Back to forum