Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 Contests > Topic: Week #4 SEN Mapping Contest.
Week #4 SEN Mapping Contest.
Jul 1 2010, 5:30 am
By: ETEFT(U)
Pages: < 1 2 3

Jul 9 2010, 7:54 pm Chia-Tyrant Post #41

Do you still want reviews Azrael? Since you took the time to make a game, it's the least we could do.

I can't promise you that I'll manage to complete a game though; I've tried a few times and systematically lost patience after ~50 moves. I must be retarded :lol:.

None.

Jul 9 2010, 7:55 pm Azrael Post #42

You have to get the victory screen at least once! :omfg:

Jul 9 2010, 9:35 pm Leeroy_Jenkins Post #43

215 :/

None.

Jul 10 2010, 12:00 am Chia-Tyrant Post #44

Finally! I got 129.

I could have given you feedback without actually completing the game but what wouldn't I do for azrael :lol:.
  • The recall used to display which units will be moved is less than optimal and fairly annoying at first. I really hate having to wait for a long time every ten moves just for the recalls to appear. Yet, when I don't want to see them, they appear often enough to annoy me.
    Why didn't you simply change the units' colours instead or moved beacons, cocoons (or any other stackable, seeable unit) to display that?
  • The score display is updated too slowly and just can't keep up once you gain speed. Using minerals or gas instead would have been much better.
  • You could easily have allowed the player to customize the number of moves after which units are moved. It would make it easier for new players and more difficult for veterans.
  • Being able to undo your last move would have been very helpful and probably not so difficult to implement.
  • The game is too plain. Why did you not add a toggleable tune or some visual aspects (like a picture on the minimap)? Tweaks like those, though seemingly insignificant, can make a game much more likeable and also make a better first impression.
Overall, the game is nearly flawless but it would have been very difficult to make any major mistakes when making a game so simple. Don't let this make you think I didn't like the game though. Quite on the contrary: its simple, intuitive gameplay provides an enjoyable experience at first and there's just enough randomness for decent replayability. I wouldn't play this again but I think it should satisfy most puzzle-lovers.

None.

Jul 10 2010, 12:51 pm Azrael Post #45

Thanks for finishing! :D Yeah, I also realized after the deadline that I should have had the recall timer reset every 10th move. There were a couple times where I got to a 10th move and had to wait for a few seconds to see what the new tiles were. I think an ideal way to do it would be to only have the recall effect on every 10th move (to make it clear that it changed) and use color-changing or beacons to indicate what the tiles are until the next 10th move. With this system the leaderboard delay wouldn't have really mattered either, so it'd also be more functional.

I like your other suggestions, little things can make a big difference ^^

Jul 10 2010, 11:31 pm Gidoza Post #46

I just got back from a trip, so I sort of couldn't participate in the contest. =P Nevertheless, I'll try out Azrael's map, I'm getting the feeling it's interesting.

:)

EDIT: Ok, perhaps I'm miserably stupid today, but I clicked around, read the instructions, and I can't figure out how to do anything at all.

How do you play? :(

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Jul 10 2010, 11:39 pm by Gidoza.

None.

Jul 10 2010, 11:41 pm Azrael Post #47

Controls are in mission objectives ^^ W/A/S/D.

Jul 10 2010, 11:42 pm Chia-Tyrant Post #48

You can't play on a mac. Shame on you azrael for using EUDs. :P
EUDs are evil!:fear:

None.

Jul 10 2010, 11:45 pm Azrael Post #49

Anything that's anti-mac can't be all bad :lol: I figured if it had to be single-player, I should do something that wouldn't be possible in multiplayer.

Jul 11 2010, 7:16 pm Gidoza Post #50

Oh, well. :)

None.

Jul 11 2010, 8:27 pm Azrael Post #51

You have a mac? :O

Jul 12 2010, 7:53 pm Gidoza Post #52

Yeah, that's why it doesn't work. :P

None.

Jul 12 2010, 9:01 pm Azrael Post #53

That sucks, if you tell me what the memory addresses are for WASD then I'll update it to be Mac-friendly Dx

Jul 13 2010, 12:11 am Gidoza Post #54

What do you mean by memory addresses?

None.

Jul 13 2010, 12:18 am poison_us Post #55

Back* from the grave

He means what portion of Starcraft's memory stores the keypress for W, A, S, and D.

Jul 13 2010, 7:20 pm Gidoza Post #56

I have no idea. How would I find that out?

None.

Jul 13 2010, 7:41 pm Azrael Post #57

You need a program like ArtMoney or Cheat Engine. I'm not sure if either of those work for mac, or if there's a different one that does =x

Jul 14 2010, 7:21 pm Gidoza Post #58

Lol this is really constructive, trying to find out data of a Mac so a map can work on a Mac, using programs that don't work on a Mac so one can't find out...

Ugh.

Thanks for the offer to do the mod anyways, Azrael. =) I think I'll survive, though. :D

None.

Jul 16 2010, 8:33 pm OlimarandLouie Post #59

I enjoy playing the maps made in these week-long contests. They are fun. ^^

8000th post in Portal News

None.

Sep 5 2010, 10:29 pm ETEFT(U) Post #60

The only one that was made... Yes, it was :)

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3
  Back to forum