Staredit Network > Forums > SC2 Custom Maps > Topic: Mech Combat
Mech Combat
May 5 2010, 3:10 am
By: Centreri  

May 7 2010, 2:56 am Biophysicist Post #21

It's possible to move faster than the camera. Hitting the edge of the map is confusing. There's no direct way to exit the game.

None.

May 7 2010, 6:01 am payne Post #22

:payne:

We can control a bit the unit as long as it is moving.
If you hit the edge of the map, you do not have your speed set to 0.
Also, you might want to discover "Map -> Map Bounds..."! ;)

None.

May 7 2010, 12:32 pm Ashamed Post #23

Hear me Raor!!

Yeah make something teleport you back to the track if you get off!

None.

May 7 2010, 8:48 pm Centreri Post #24

Relatively ancient and inactive

There is no track, and the edges will be terrain-restricted - that is, there'll be water, unpassable cliffs, or something else along those lines there so it would be impossible to hit the edge. I'm not doing the terrain yet.

EDIT: I'll be redoing the whole map. My physics aren't that efficient, but I'll be able to port them to a clean slate easily and make them work nicer. However, I've dropped plans for flying cars - I tried, and it simply didn't work, and I have no idea why. I'll start in maybe ten days, because that's when my tests end.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on May 12 2010, 8:36 pm by Centreri.

None.

May 21 2010, 9:31 pm Pr0nogo Post #25

No moving backwards?

May 21 2010, 9:58 pm ImagoDeo Post #26

Unless you want to deal with the vehicles falling off into water and 'dying', I'd say surround the playable area with impassable cliffs. Much easier to work with.

Although making jumps and stuff like that would be neat.

I'm in support of ESDF. I learned to use that in Tribes II, and I've never looked back, except for a few times that I've played WoW and Portal. You're absolutely right, ESDF does allow for use of more keys than WASD. Don't switch.

None.

May 21 2010, 10:30 pm UnholyUrine Post #27

I'll probably write a tutorial eventually about how to write a workable physics system
Please do.. PLEASE do

None.

May 22 2010, 4:19 am Centreri Post #28

I'm probably not going to. If you want to check up how I do it, check the map; something more specific, you can send me a PM. :P

I actually learned about ESDF from playing WoW. I played a mage, and using ESDF allowed me to keybind ~35 abilities to two extra mouse buttons, buttons surrounding ESDF and modifiers (so no clicking needed at all). I want to do the water-deaths because water is much prettier than cliffs, and there's no backwards motion because... I'd have to hard-code the ability for units to go in one direction while facing another (and somehow make the model wheels go backward), while my current system simply manipulates unit movement speed.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on May 22 2010, 4:29 am by Centreri.

None.

May 23 2010, 12:05 am Centreri Post #29

MAJOR UPDATE! Check first post for map and moar.

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on May 24 2010, 2:14 am by Centreri.

None.

May 24 2010, 4:30 am payne Post #30

I think Centreri wants this post to be bumped at the top of the list because he updated it, though he doesn't want to triple-post.
So hum, there ya go! ^^

None.

Jun 27 2010, 5:37 am Centreri Post #31

Soo... yeah. I've hit my wanting-to-work-on-it-wall that I hoped I'd pass this time. I have a lot of work done on this map; and it's actually theoretically playable with minor modifications (namely, expansion of shot-radius in both the trigger and the ability so it won't go by enemies without exploding), but it won't really be fantastic until the following is done:

Redo basic shot so that it dies when it hits trees, or at least does go AROUND them.
Possibly add more weapons. I believe I planned to use X and C, X to change the left-click ability and C to change right-click ability.
Make UI functional. Easy, just make it so that when you press/hold a button an effect works. On a version on my PC I also got the basics of a health bar working, so if someone wants that...
Leaderboard. I had troubles making the leaderboard appear while the main GUI disappeared, so you won't find a functional one in any versions yet.
Changing lighting over time. I played with this and I believe it rotates between two lightings, it'd be nice if it had more.

On the subject of flying cars: This isn't really feasible so far, at least as far as I know. I've played around with the height triggers, and they either work very differently from how I think they do or are simply not at all precise. You need to convert the mech to a flying unit, calculate height... and even disregarding the converting mech to a flying unit, the height calculation in SCII is screwed up based on basic tests I did while trying to make ships work in SCII (they didn't!). I believe it's because the pathing AI for air units screws up the manual set-height trigger.

And, one last thing: Performance. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seemed to me that my map ran somewhat slowly. My computer's fairly good, so if this is actually the map and not a beta program acting up, there will be problems. The physics calculates slope, sets a ton of variables, yada yada. Every .05 seconds, I believe, for every car and (currently) every shot. On the positive note, I didn't notice any difference between there being many shots and no shots, and the shots account for a lot of calculations too, so this might be my imagination.

So, yeah. Feel free to use this. If you want to continue the project and think you can fix the few things needed (a few hours work if you know what you're doing, honestly), just stick my name in the credits as "Started by" and go ahead and do whatever you want (and PM me, because I'd be interested). If you want the health bar, PM me for the version with it implemented (too lazy to upload before I know there's demand, lul).

I don't think I'll be doing any mapmaking any more. Sowwy, gusys.

None.

Jun 28 2010, 3:08 am payne Post #32

Quote from Centreri
I don't think I'll be doing any mapmaking any more. Sowwy, gusys.
Ya, I feel the same for almost everything I had in mind about SC2.
I'll for sure keep producing Impossible maps and finish my Random Micro Arena, but that's pretty much it. ;o
More complex stuff is out of hand for me: no more time to learn map making.

None.

Aug 3 2010, 6:25 am TiKels Post #33

This was interesting and fun. I liked it.

"If a topic that clearly interest noone needs to be closed to underline the "we don't want this here" message, is up to debate."

-NudeRaider

Aug 3 2010, 10:40 pm UnholyUrine Post #34

Hey Centreri, this has got me thinking a little.

Since it is difficult (tho probably not impossible) to do terrain collision detection as of now, would it be possible to change the height juuuust ever so slightly so that it isn't seen, but it can also act as an "off-road" terrain.. Textures can be changed to make it fit... This way, you can use the height condition to decelerate the mechs and stuff.

Or is there a easier way to do this?

Anyways, i'm very interested.. but I need to get sc2 first D:

None.

Aug 4 2010, 3:05 am Centreri Post #35

It's possible and it can still make a pretty nice map. It'd definitely greatly simply the task. But I went for interesting terrain here, it's the ramps that make the physics so fun to play with :P.

If you create essentially a blank slate of terrain, you can throw out some of the physics easing the load, removing the terrain-collision problem. After that, the only real problems I'd thought of/tackled was having collision with doodads, but that's probably much easier to do. Something I'd expect someone at mapster to have figured out. Also, I thought of having mechs stop when they hit each other and to take damage. My theorized solution was to have a trigger run when they're in proximity that takes into account directions and movement speeds; not too difficult. Actually, something similar could be done to do the collision-with-doodads, too.

None.

Options
  Back to forum