Apr 3 2010, 5:50 am CecilSunkure Post #21

Pros:
  • Enjoyable Wavs
  • Nice intro/cannon
  • Incorporated the ocean well
  • Enjoyable dialog
  • Multiple avenues for completion/progression
  • Intuitive gameplay/story progression
  • Nice unique effects (like mine bushes, cannon firing)
  • For the most part the map generally had scenes that fit the overall style

Cons:
  • Bland terrain
  • Boring battle mechanics
  • Confused as to whether or not I could finish something (i.e. didn't know if worship crystal would do anything again)

Additional thoughts:
  • Hotkeys a little confusing with the same unit for spells
  • Should show energy required instead of just "Not enough energy"
  • Color coded civs were nice, but when the man commits suicide he is white, makes look like talkable still
  • After death during boss didn't seem to be a spawn cap on boss hydralisks spawning
  • Couldn't find flux capacitor first time I killed the boss
  • In one spot of the cave the hydras constantly had junkyard dog ordered on them making them easy to kill
  • Bit of an abrupt ending- that's okay though since the starting intro was abrupt as well

Overall I really enjoyed the map. Seeing how much time you had to create this thing, I think you did a very excellent job. I do however think your terrain was pretty lacking, and I thought the fighting was pretty bland. Although, I can tell that the focus of this map wasn't on fighting, so that really is okay. You did a great job of making gameplay intuitive; by this I mean I could always tell where to go and what to do next as the player (except for finding the flux capacitor). There were, however, a few moments when things were unintuitive; a good example would be the worship circle, I didn't know if there was something more to do there or not after the first scene there. I also like how you allowed the player to progress in slightly different manners. You can either fight, get money from kills, upgrade attack and then go heal; fight, get money, buy fish and repeat; fish, cook fish, fish, cook fish, fight, get money etc. etc. You didn't limit the player to a purely linear progression throughout the map, which I enjoyed.

I look forward to seeing more maps from you.

None.

Apr 3 2010, 6:48 am XGenesis Post #22

Really fun and to the point. I don't like how it was impossible to select things when you got into buildings though :(

None.

Apr 3 2010, 7:42 am SkLoped Post #23

Oh nice map, enjoyable :)

None.

Apr 3 2010, 11:51 pm Leeroy_Jenkins Post #24

Quote from Dark_lunatic_K
I think you should pump more RPGs like this out. You're a great mapper, and you will only get better with every map you complete. Don't worry so much about contests, it will only hurt your potential.

I expect more from you in the coming months :D
I was thinking about a four player RPG with great atmosphere and gameplay like this.

None.

Apr 4 2010, 12:00 am Jack Post #25

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

Quote from Leeroy_Jenkins
Quote from Dark_lunatic_K
I think you should pump more RPGs like this out. You're a great mapper, and you will only get better with every map you complete. Don't worry so much about contests, it will only hurt your potential.

I expect more from you in the coming months :D
I was thinking about a four player RPG with great atmosphere and gameplay like this.
Make it have zombies :D

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Apr 4 2010, 1:57 am UnholyUrine Post #26

oh wow...

see? I told u it was good :D
(Personally, I thought a Cliffhanger at the end of this Rpg would've made it more epic)

None.

Apr 4 2010, 2:21 am Leeroy_Jenkins Post #27

Quote from UnholyUrine
oh wow...

see? I told u it was good :D
(Personally, I thought a Cliffhanger at the end of this Rpg would've made it more epic)
I threw in some epic music :bleh:

None.

Apr 4 2010, 4:43 am UnholyUrine Post #28

U noe what I just noticed after my in depth analysis?

This map's freaking racist!!
White civs are quest holders, and cannot be killed..
while Brown civs are useless and expendable..

OMG LEEROY YOU RACIST BASTARD!!

None.

Apr 5 2010, 2:30 am LoveLess Post #29

Let me show you how to hump without making love.

I am seriously impressed with this map, I had to start a blog after not even a few minutes of gameplay.

Boring intro kinda gave me the wrong feel for what I was about to play.

But then... I get fucking Mario'd out of a cannon! Instantly got my attention back to the map.

Then... I watch as someone commits suicide. Fucking awesome.

Almost got raped by some spider mines, lol'd at funny concept.

Then this ghost wants to fucking start shit, so I show him who knows boss. Also how to manipulate triggers... Take that!

Then I help this d00d find his dog and shove it in my coin pocket.

Then I caught this other d00d some feesh. He didn't share.

I caught some more feesh! For about 5 minutes, very relaxing with the music.

BURN MOTHAH FUCKAH BURN! I cook'd me some feesh.

Saw a bunch of weird guys around a crystal, then got eye-raped by the crystal and it gave me special pew-ers.

Then finally found this other d00d who said my "insert-movie-science-fiction-device" was broken. He said I had to go risk my life to leave this peaceful town... Why the fuck would I wanna do that? Just ferry me across the sea so I can get Mario'd again fucker!

Then I went to a Gentleman's' Club called the "Hospital" and had a good time.

That's where I am currently and don't want to stop! More updates ahead!

...Alright, game just got really boring. In the place and using generic fighting. Boooring. Wish he had been inventive here as well.

None.

Apr 6 2010, 5:32 am vexium Post #30

you do us great justice by making such a cool RPG, but you do yourself and the map injustice with the lack of at least another dungeon. Even just 1 would make it much more fun. 2 more would be awesome, with one other (doesnt have to even be that big) town....

seriously, this kicks ass. please make it slightly longer.

i would even say to follow with ur great sense of story and character u could make the dude steal ur ship n flux capacitor and u have to go back to the worshippers n go from there... just a suggestion with what i thought was sort of unexpanded on as i saw it.

seriously, though, this kicks ass. but it deserves MOAR. oh, and that damn fish likes to be burnt lol

what with the epic music and all i totally expected another town and another epic song and more cool dungeon fun. i was totally expecting a battle on the finished ship or something. PLEASE MAKE ME AN EVEN HAPPIER FAN!!

seriously, though, with another dungeon or two, this could easily become my favorite RPG in starcraft - and i've played at least 75% of what's out there, and nearly all of what's on this site.

P.S. dancing civs made me lmao and remember getting blocked in secret of mana by townspeople

None.

Apr 6 2010, 5:38 am Leeroy_Jenkins Post #31

Quote from vexium
P.S. dancing civs made me lmao and remember getting blocked in secret of mana by townspeople
If you kill a civ they scream and run away :bleh:
I'll think about expanding this, but my next project is a zombie killing 4 player RPG.

None.

Apr 6 2010, 5:42 am vexium Post #32

well its clear that u have good vision for creating RPGs with some style. ill look forward to more of your stuff ;)

im just whining cuz i want moaaar

None.

Apr 7 2010, 2:01 am TiMMaYj Post #33

Pretty cool short RPG, even better than your escape hell map for the fire themed competition. Both have cool/unique mechanics & aesthetics, and maintain your attention the entire time. I'll look forward to seeing more maps from you.

None.

Apr 7 2010, 4:39 am DavidJCobb Post #34

The map was fun right until I got to the damn Temple. It had good dialogue, a great sense of humor (particularly with the suicide, screaming dead civs, and the coin-sized dog), great aesthetics. Particularly loved the use of cloaked Beacons to mark doors, and your use of unit sounds. ("I'm a little claustrophobic" in the cannon! XD) But after the Guardian's death, the whole thing went downhill. Sharply downhill. Like, it skiied down a wall and smashed into some kinda bizarre horizontal tree, and broke every bone in its metaphorical body.

Granted, I'm fairly new to RPGs; actually, this is the first I've ever played. And I'd just played Escape Hell before this, so I had high expectations. (And that was a fun map, by the way.) But here are my problems.
  • The dialogue was rather slow, and there was no way to know it's done. It's like, "Okay, sounds like he's done. Lemme head to the -- no, can't move. He's got more to say." Escape Hell had this same issue. Luckily, it's a minor issue. The others? Not so much.
  • Where and how the hell do you fish? Feel like I wasted 20 ore on something I can't use. Feature may as well not even be in the game.
  • Center View made the opening cutscene weird, especially since it seemed to lag -- it wasn't nearly as fluid as you (seem to have) intended. It was very jerky and awkward, and it distracted from the content of the cutscene.
  • Worse yet, Center View made the upgrade window damn near unusable. Trying to select an EBay, queue an upgrade (having to run through each key until I found "W", since I couldn't see the hotkey or cost), select the hero (if I'd forgotten to hotkey him earlier), and move him to an (off-center) beacon all while the cursor is constantly snapped to the center of the screen and selection rectangles are broken was a major pain in the ass. Same problem existed with the Yes/No selection, though since that was horizontal and closer to the center of the screen, it was easier.
  • Because I couldn't upgrade, I got pwned in the dungeon every time I went there (after killing the Guardian). I really could only cast one heal and maybe a Lurker (if the latter even worked -- often, the spines never even appeared!) before getting gang raped by all the Broodlings and Hydralisks. One un-upgraded player with insufficient spells versus a mass of enemies. Mass wins every time. It wasn't a challenge, it was my character getting raped in the face by Zerg over and over. And I couldn't even make a run for the gate, since the enemies (particularly the Broodlings) all camped the Temple entrance!
  • Fact that each death cost me all my minerals (to heal) and I couldn't find minerals outside the Temple didn't help the nearly-impossible upgrade situation. Especially given that death was practically a guarantee every time I had to go into the damn Temple (after the Guardian's death).

Granted, I'm probably just a total RPG n00b. Granted, the fact that I am (or appear to be) the only one with Center View problems means that I'm probably DOING IT WRONG and loading the map wrong or something. Granted, I don't have a lot of experience. Granted, I couldn't upgrade. But right after the Guardian died, the map turned into a gigantic orgy of hellish frustration.

Everything before the Guardian's death? Ten outta ten.

Everything after? Negative zero.

Hate to give you a negative review, I really do, especially after having played the first part of this map, and the entirety of Escape Hell. You kick ass at mapmaking. Chances are, the problem is me, not the RPG. But I can only give a review based on how I felt during the gameplay, and after that Guardian died, I felt (to be blunt(er)) like I was being skullfucked through the nosehole with a harpoon gun made of pure rage.

None.

Apr 7 2010, 5:27 am Oh_Man Post #35

Find Me On Discord (Brood War UMS Community & Staredit Network)

I'm probably DOING IT WRONG
ROFL

LOL David I got a news flash for ya: don't play in Single Player!!! lololol your post made my day.
Nah just play it in multiplayer (fastest) most of those problems will be gone, specifically the snapping cursor.

Also the fishing minigame was on a pier and the fish were represented by a cloaked observer moving randomly across the water.
Also the fish was a free way to get your health back, which would have eliminated your mineral problem, and with cursors working you would have been able to upgrade.

Basically all the negative things you mentioned stem from the fact that you played it in Single Player lol.

Apr 7 2010, 5:31 am Leeroy_Jenkins Post #36

Quote from DavidJCobb
The map was fun right until I got to the damn Temple. It had good dialogue, a great sense of humor (particularly with the suicide, screaming dead civs, and the coin-sized dog), great aesthetics. Particularly loved the use of cloaked Beacons to mark doors, and your use of unit sounds. ("I'm a little claustrophobic" in the cannon! XD) But after the Guardian's death, the whole thing went downhill. Sharply downhill. Like, it skiied down a wall and smashed into some kinda bizarre horizontal tree, and broke every bone in its metaphorical body.

Granted, I'm fairly new to RPGs; actually, this is the first I've ever played. And I'd just played Escape Hell before this, so I had high expectations. (And that was a fun map, by the way.) But here are my problems.
  • The dialogue was rather slow, and there was no way to know it's done. It's like, "Okay, sounds like he's done. Lemme head to the -- no, can't move. He's got more to say." Escape Hell had this same issue. Luckily, it's a minor issue. The others? Not so much.
  • Where and how the hell do you fish? Feel like I wasted 20 ore on something I can't use. Feature may as well not even be in the game.
  • Center View made the opening cutscene weird, especially since it seemed to lag -- it wasn't nearly as fluid as you (seem to have) intended. It was very jerky and awkward, and it distracted from the content of the cutscene.
  • Worse yet, Center View made the upgrade window damn near unusable. Trying to select an EBay, queue an upgrade (having to run through each key until I found "W", since I couldn't see the hotkey or cost), select the hero (if I'd forgotten to hotkey him earlier), and move him to an (off-center) beacon all while the cursor is constantly snapped to the center of the screen and selection rectangles are broken was a major pain in the ass. Same problem existed with the Yes/No selection, though since that was horizontal and closer to the center of the screen, it was easier.
  • Because I couldn't upgrade, I got pwned in the dungeon every time I went there (after killing the Guardian). I really could only cast one heal and maybe a Lurker (if the latter even worked -- often, the spines never even appeared!) before getting gang raped by all the Broodlings and Hydralisks. One un-upgraded player with insufficient spells versus a mass of enemies. Mass wins every time. It wasn't a challenge, it was my character getting raped in the face by Zerg over and over. And I couldn't even make a run for the gate, since the enemies (particularly the Broodlings) all camped the Temple entrance!
  • Fact that each death cost me all my minerals (to heal) and I couldn't find minerals outside the Temple didn't help the nearly-impossible upgrade situation. Especially given that death was practically a guarantee every time I had to go into the damn Temple (after the Guardian's death).

Granted, I'm probably just a total RPG n00b. Granted, the fact that I am (or appear to be) the only one with Center View problems means that I'm probably DOING IT WRONG and loading the map wrong or something. Granted, I don't have a lot of experience. Granted, I couldn't upgrade. But right after the Guardian died, the map turned into a gigantic orgy of hellish frustration.

Everything before the Guardian's death? Ten outta ten.

Everything after? Negative zero.

Hate to give you a negative review, I really do, especially after having played the first part of this map, and the entirety of Escape Hell. You kick ass at mapmaking. Chances are, the problem is me, not the RPG. But I can only give a review based on how I felt during the gameplay, and after that Guardian died, I felt (to be blunt(er)) like I was being skullfucked through the nosehole with a harpoon gun made of pure rage.

Thank you for your very helpful review. (I'll know what to do better next time!)

Your upgrade problems and center-view problems are probably due to the fact that you played this game offline, instead of on battle.net. When played online, upgrading isn't an issue, and it does not move your cursor to the center of the screen. If you played the game online and still had these problems, well, that's beyond me, but it's still not how it works normally :P

EDIT: Posted at the same exact time as private_parts. Sorry to reiterate!

None.

Apr 7 2010, 5:32 am DavidJCobb Post #37

Ah. Yeah, that would explain the rage-based nasal skullfuckery.

So I guess I need to get a Battle.net account for SC.

Uh, quick n00b question: how do I get a Battle.net account for SC?

None.

Apr 7 2010, 5:35 am Leeroy_Jenkins Post #38

Quote from DavidJCobb
Ah. Yeah, that would explain the rage-based nasal skullfuckery.

So I guess I need to get a Battle.net account for SC.

Uh, quick n00b question: how do I get a Battle.net account for SC?

http://us.blizzard.com/store/details.xml?id=110000124

None.

Apr 7 2010, 5:35 am Oh_Man Post #39

Find Me On Discord (Brood War UMS Community & Staredit Network)

Damn your green as grass boyo!

Just go to multiplayer, instead of going to Battlenet go to Local Area Network or w/e its called. And create a game in there, that way you get to play it "multiplayer"without actually needing a battlenet account.

Enjoy the map the way it was meant to be played bro! In fact you should run all maps like this from now on from what i know of NO ONE makes maps with Single Player in mind (i mean single player as in the single player not the 1 player thing yeah... you know what I'm talking about).

Apr 7 2010, 5:36 am Leeroy_Jenkins Post #40

Quote from name:private_parts
Damn your green as grass boyo!

Just go to multiplayer, instead of going to Battlenet go to Local Area Network or w/e its called. And create a game in there, that way you get to play it "multiplayer"without actually needing a battlenet account.

Enjoy the map the way it was meant to be played bro! In fact you should run all maps like this from now on from what i know of NO ONE makes maps with Single Player in mind (i mean single player as in the single player not the 1 player thing yeah... you know what I'm talking about).

Are you sure it will be the same without the patches?
OR even an option?

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 >
  Back to forum