Staredit Network > Forums > Null > Topic: Removing internet anonymity
Removing internet anonymity
Mar 13 2010, 4:46 pm
By: Centreri
Pages: < 1 « 2 3 4

Mar 19 2010, 11:03 pm poison_us Post #61

Back* from the grave

He's from the dead forum at Stormcoast-fortress.net. It degraded into the land of trolling, and this is the result of his disjointed thinking.

Mar 19 2010, 11:30 pm DavidJCobb Post #62

I think the main point is that while a good hacker could find out your information right now, if it were centralized (like in a government database), it would take a lot less effort. One place to hack, one set of vulnerabilities to exploit, one security hole to use. Hell, even if the government decentralized it with different servers everywhere, these servers would still use the same systems, the same database structure, the same setup, and therefore the methods for intruding upon them would be the same.

A good hacker can already learn everything about you and destroy you with it. (Thankfully, doing so isn't very lucrative.) But if everything were managed by one group, semi-good hackers would have that same level of power, and good hackers would have even more such power than they already do.

Quote from MadZombie
They'll still exist. All they would need to do is steal someone elses account then use that account to do it. This wouldn't increase accountability at all. It's

Cliff hanger.
Maybe it was Candlejack. No, I'm serious. I'm not just saying that to reference the internet meme. That would be childish and immatu

None.

Mar 19 2010, 11:47 pm Centreri Post #63

Relatively ancient and inactive

Again, I don't see why you think that a semi-good hacker can hack into the government. Heylo, a government database of this already exists... As I noted, believe it or not, the police could find your house.

None.

Mar 20 2010, 12:52 am poison_us Post #64

Back* from the grave

Quote from Centreri
Again, I don't see why you think that a semi-good hacker can hack into the government. Heylo, a government database of this already exists... As I noted, believe it or not, the police could find your house.
But can a police force in Anchorage (Alaska) pull up a Florida residence?

Mar 20 2010, 12:57 am Centreri Post #65

Relatively ancient and inactive

Not a practical issue. It's not a change in magnitude, only by 50. There's very little more you can do with 300 million as opposed to six million accounts. And since more money is diverted towards security because it's on a federal level, it'll work better. I wouldn't be surprised if the database IS interstate, but access is regionally allowed, maybe on a county level.

None.

Mar 20 2010, 1:53 am Generalpie Post #66

Staredit Puckwork

Quote from poison_us
He's from the dead forum at Stormcoast-fortress.net. It degraded into the land of trolling, and this is the result of his disjointed thinking.

If i remember correctly, you were from there too. Also i left before you. I did, however, keep some of the stupidity. ^^

None.

Mar 20 2010, 7:57 am Jack Post #67

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

Quote from Centreri
And currently crackers could find their way into that database. Most people aren't important enough for them to want to, however.

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Mar 20 2010, 4:37 pm poison_us Post #68

Back* from the grave

Quote from Centreri
Not a practical issue. It's not a change in magnitude, only by 50. There's very little more you can do with 300 million as opposed to six million accounts.
I could've sworn you meant to have this on a global scale, not just the USA. My bad.

Mar 28 2010, 2:23 am TiKels Post #69

Quote from DavidJCobb
I think the main point is that while a good hacker could find out your information right now, if it were centralized (like in a government database), it would take a lot less effort. One place to hack, one set of vulnerabilities to exploit, one security hole to use. Hell, even if the government decentralized it with different servers everywhere, these servers would still use the same systems, the same database structure, the same setup, and therefore the methods for intruding upon them would be the same.

A good hacker can already learn everything about you and destroy you with it. (Thankfully, doing so isn't very lucrative.) But if everything were managed by one group, semi-good hackers would have that same level of power, and good hackers would have even more such power than they already do.

Quote from MadZombie
They'll still exist. All they would need to do is steal someone elses account then use that account to do it. This wouldn't increase accountability at all. It's

Cliff hanger.
Maybe it was Candlejack. No, I'm serious. I'm not just saying that to reference the internet meme. That would be childish and immatu
Haha whenever people say Candlejack it always makes me laugh. Hyponotoad is the only thing that is ALL GLORY THE HYPNOTO-

"If a topic that clearly interest noone needs to be closed to underline the "we don't want this here" message, is up to debate."

-NudeRaider

Mar 28 2010, 4:33 pm Falkoner Post #70

Anyway, one can do it from an IP address, and I'm sure some master hacker can find your exact address somehow. The point is that if all this information is protected by the government, it'll be harder to get it.

In order to do that they'd need information from the ISP, which is incredibly hard to get into, with just an IP Address, all you can get is the general area they're in, typically the town, or a nearby one is about as good as you're going to get, unless you have the help of the ISP's information to get personal information that users are required to give the ISP when obtaining internet access through them, however, with laptops nowadays, it's incredibly easy to simply hack into someone's wireless internet with a spoofed MAC Address, do your business, and leave, leaving absolutely nothing to trace back to you or your computer.

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 « 2 3 4
  Back to forum