Staredit Network > Forums > Null > Topic: Removing internet anonymity
Removing internet anonymity
Mar 13 2010, 4:46 pm
By: Centreri
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 >

Mar 18 2010, 12:18 am poison_us Post #41

Back* from the grave

Quote from Centreri
A dedicated hacker can find where you live under the current system.
I said this already? My argument is that having everyone's stuff all in one place is harder to keep secure, because if one hacker breaks it, then he can access anyone's stuff.

And besides, the government already watches me, I had to look on some terrorist websites for schoolwork, plus that "anarchist's cookbook" didn't exactly help my standings.

Finally, I'm done arguing on Null. This is the domain of Pirates vs Ninjas, :hurr: vs :awesome: vs :massimo:, SEN Mafia, and Kame's Trollpost, not Centreri's Lite Discussion. The powers that be have not recreated it for a reason, so I'm off to the last unread thread.

TL;DR: :hurr: > :awesome: and :massimo: shouldn't even be in the same sentence.

Mar 18 2010, 7:37 pm Centreri Post #42

Relatively ancient and inactive

... Congratulations? :rolleyes:

None.

Mar 18 2010, 9:11 pm dumbducky Post #43

Quote from Centreri
A dedicated hacker can find where you live under the current system. Hell, Rockz found Dumbducky's school using simple IP identification. It'd be harder under an internet management, because the information would (if done a certain way) only be gettable from the agency servers - have you tried to hack the government lately?
No, he found it because I posted it. You can't pinpoint an exact location based off of an IP address.

tits

Mar 18 2010, 9:31 pm Centreri Post #44

You'd posted your school? Really? O_o.

Anyway, one can do it from an IP address, and I'm sure some master hacker can find your exact address somehow. The point is that if all this information is protected by the government, it'll be harder to get it.

None.

Mar 18 2010, 9:58 pm Jack Post #45

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

Quote from Centreri
You'd posted your school? Really? O_o.

Anyway, one can do it from an IP address, and I'm sure some master hacker can find your exact address somehow. The point is that if all this information is protected by the government, it'll be harder to get it.

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Mar 18 2010, 10:24 pm Vrael Post #46

What's to stop someone from stealing your identity information and using that to connect to the internet, fucking up your credit/status/ect just like they do in real life anyway? We already are tracked on the internet, we're not anonymous. Everytime we use a credit card to purchase something on Ebay/amazon/ect we're telling them who we are. The only reason we don't need an account to sign in the internet in general is because the only things anyone gives a shit about are the ones that you have to pay for, and hence use a credit card, anyway. Should the government hold us accountable for flaming someone on SEN? The government doesn't give a shit about SEN. Spammers and phishers? Hackers? They'll still exist. All they would need to do is steal someone elses account then use that account to do it. This wouldn't increase accountability at all. It's

None.

Mar 18 2010, 10:49 pm Centreri Post #47

Your only good point there is that someone might log onto your internet account (the rest is like implying that because something will still exist, there won't be less of it). I'm still not exactly sure about how that might be fixed. Passwords can be stolen - but then, so can credit cards and the like, and there are procedures that would easily allow you to regain your credit card, just like you can your internet account. Then again, there's essentially no reason to do that. I'm sure that the regulating body can track if the account has been accessed in a different location from its normal one, spamming can be regulated by imposing a limit on emails sent by normal accounts, and hacking... is just as well done from your own account as from someone elses.

An internet regulating body can force internet registration to create a website, allowing it to deny internet access or arrest most phishers, spammers and hackers. Again, this won't completely solve these problems, but it'll help.

None.

Mar 18 2010, 11:19 pm poison_us Post #48

Back* from the grave

Quote from Centreri
The point is that if all this information is protected by the government, it'll be harder to get it.
Until it gets hacked, and then someone will have everyone's crap.

OK, returning to foot-in-mouth status.

Mar 19 2010, 1:41 am Vrael Post #49

Quote from poison_us
Quote from Centreri
The point is that if all this information is protected by the government, it'll be harder to get it.
Until it gets hacked, and then someone will have everyone's crap.

OK, returning to foot-in-mouth status.
Exactly. "Oh let's centralize all the important data so that when someone finally does get a hold of it, they get EVERYTHING."

:P

None.

Mar 19 2010, 1:53 am Jack Post #50

I think centreri is under the impression that government computers are unhackable :lol:

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Mar 19 2010, 2:18 am DavidJCobb Post #51

Everything is hackable except for the best hackers in the world. Working for the government is not nearly lucrative enough for them to want to do it, ergo they wouldn't be working for the government. The best hackers wouldn't be working for the government, ergo the government is hackable. (And if they did work for the government? They'd probably just hack it from the inside, because that would be more lucrative.)

None.

Mar 19 2010, 3:55 am Centreri Post #52

It doesn't have to be centralized any more than it currently is. I don't know how NSA, FBI, CIA, military, etc store their information. No matter how that is, what they store is much more sensitive than a list of addresses, passwords and such for the internet. And, again; address, name, etc is already stored. You mentioned it yourself, Vrael. My idea simply implements that stored information to allow it to be used to regulate the internet. Whining about how hackable it is ignores the fact that these problems have already been solved. I don't know how; maybe they compartmentalize the information, maybe they have an uber firewall. However it's done, it's done.

None.

Mar 19 2010, 4:30 am Jack Post #53

'uber firewall' /facepalm

The US government has been hacked many times, and will probably always be. If google can be hacked, anyone can be hacked. Even social engineering will work with an 'uber firewall' in the way.

Red classic.

Mar 19 2010, 4:33 am Centreri Post #54

The database exists. If it has been hacked successfully, then it goes to show you that no one cares about where you live, Jack. In which case, again... what's your argument?

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Mar 19 2010, 4:41 am by Centreri.

None.

Mar 19 2010, 4:43 am Jack Post #55

Quote from Centreri
The database exists. If it has been hacked successfully, then it goes to show you that no one gives a shit about where you live, Jack. In which case, again... what's your argument?
My argument is that if everyone had some sort of online ID and profile, stored on government computers, then those IDs and profiles can be hacked. If they can, hackers can be anyone and do anything with impunity, under the ID of someone else.

Added to that is the profile. The information would crackable, and then said hackers could find out information about anyone, and edit that info.

Thirdly, I don't want the government to have my info, I don't want them to be Big Brother.

Red classic.

Mar 19 2010, 4:57 am Centreri Post #56

The government has your information. Unless you think that, given a name, they couldn't find your house... well, that has a lot of implications for the police, doesn't it.

I have not specified anything about the profile. I don't know why a person with access to your account can change information any easier than a person with your passport can with that.

Hacked ID and Profiles can still be regulated. If the government has enough control to regulate this properly, it can check on the geographic location of the person connecting to the internet. Just like if you go on vacation and use a credit card without contacting your company, if the location is different, it can be stopped until you inform them that you've moved. And, really, what can a theoretical hacker do with your account? Spam email isn't sent through gmail, believe it or not. You can't send a ton of spam emails from one such account. What good is someone's internet account to someone else? Would you risk imprisonment to have a chance at checking what I recently browsed and temporarily using my account on several websites?

Again, this method isn't perfect. But it is better, I believe. Yes, you can theoretically be hacked; you can also be shot while crossing the street or stabbed for funzies. There being no real reason to do this, hacking like this would be limited.

None.

Mar 19 2010, 11:19 am MadZombie Post #57

Yea... I really doubt an Online ID would contain more things that a normal script kiddie couldn't already get. I would see no point in having some thing truly important in an online Id like Social security or Allergies.

The only reason I am against this is because I think if it were in effect I don't think I would be able to download anything illegal anymore which is the only reason I get on a computer besides SEN. Could care less if the internet turned, in a sense, into a gigantic Social network.

Wait would the public have access to some of this information except anything slightly important? "name/birth date" Yea I'd be cool with it because it would hardly effect me.

They'll still exist. All they would need to do is steal someone elses account then use that account to do it. This wouldn't increase accountability at all. It's

Cliff hanger.

None.

Mar 19 2010, 5:23 pm poison_us Post #58

Back* from the grave

Quote from Jack
Thirdly, I don't want the government to have my info, I don't want them to be Big Brother.

WAAAAAAAY too late for that, bro. The government will take freedoms away millions of times faster than it will allow you to have those same freedoms back.

Mar 19 2010, 8:33 pm Generalpie Post #59

Staredit Puckwork

so, in essence, you would rather have the government protecting your information than protecting the information yourself?
Also, we're americans. Every country in the world has or will hate us eventually. If it was centralized al queda or some other "uber" terrorist group can use that information to track you so they can stab you if they see you as a threat.

Also, this was the problem with the articles of confederation. Its just too centralized. The government can track you if you get framed for creating an "uber" virus that makes your computer emit a noise that gives you a brain hemorrhage.

None.

Mar 19 2010, 10:20 pm Centreri Post #60

The articles of confederation were too decentralized, not centralized. The rest of what you posted is too odd to respond to.

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 >
  Back to forum