Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 UMS Mapmaking Assistance > Topic: Computer AI, Hold Position
Computer AI, Hold Position
Oct 30 2007, 2:59 am
By: Sie_Sayoka  

Oct 30 2007, 2:59 am Sie_Sayoka Post #1

Is there any AI or orders that can make a computer hold position? I dont want my computers moving around to chase units.

None.

Oct 30 2007, 3:53 am Akar Post #2

I think the stop order is your best bet, but that doesn't let the unit fire...

None.

Oct 30 2007, 4:31 am Oyen Post #3

I believe the only available orders are Move to, Patrol to, or Attack to. I don't know much about AI scripts, so there may or may not be a script that can simulate the "hold position" effect.

How many units do you hope to make "hold position"?

EDIT: You could just put a location around the group of units. If any of those units leaves the location, then simply move it back.

None.

Oct 30 2007, 4:31 am Sie_Sayoka Post #4

around 100 :)

None.

Oct 30 2007, 4:33 am Oyen Post #5

Are the 100 units going to be near eachother? Are the 100 units able to be killed?

None.

Oct 30 2007, 4:35 am Fwop_ Post #6

I'm not sure exactly, but I think if you order units to move to an implacable area, they won't move but still be able to attack. Though, I'm not positive on that. Probably doesn't work.

None.

Oct 30 2007, 5:36 am Sie_Sayoka Post #7

that is just a stop command i think :/

Are the 100 units going to be near eachother? Are the 100 units able to be killed?
no, yes

None.

Oct 30 2007, 5:59 am Oyen Post #8

Well....That's a bit tricky. I suppose you could use the method I suggested earlier and put a location around every one of them, but that would probably be a bad idea and take up tons of triggers as well.

None.

Oct 30 2007, 6:11 am Sie_Sayoka Post #9

that wouldnt work

None.

Oct 30 2007, 6:34 am frazz Post #10

Perhaps.... With hyper triggers you could repeat stop, attack to, stop attack to.... That way they wouldn't have time to run, but would be able to attack. Dragoons go to slow and wouldn't do anything though.

I don't know if this would cause them to seize up, or maybe move a little bit at a time. Or it might actually work.

None.

Oct 30 2007, 8:13 am in_a_biskit Post #11

Quote from Fwop_
I'm not sure exactly, but I think if you order units to move to an implacable area, they won't move but still be able to attack. Though, I'm not positive on that. Probably doesn't work.
This should work, I think. Units won't move but will attack.

None.

Oct 30 2007, 9:15 am Sie_Sayoka Post #12

no, its the equivilent of a stop order. so they will chase units and such.

None.

Oct 30 2007, 1:09 pm NudeRaider Post #13

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

Quote from in_a_biskit
Quote from Fwop_
There is a trick for that. I'm not exactly sure about it but I will ask someone who has already done this in several maps.

It's either something about disabling/enabling unit(s) (sprites) or its about TELEPORTING them to unwalkable terrain. Try to experiment with that until I found the solution.

Order won't work since they will walk as far as they can until they hit the obstacle and will patrol in front of it. But they wont stand still.

But here's a quick and dirty workaround:
Place some (3-4 should be enough) dts for P12 around every of them.
If placed correctly melee units will still be able to hit them.

Oct 30 2007, 5:07 pm Ahli Post #14

I do stuff and thingies... Try widening and reducing the number of small nooks and crannies to correct the problem.

Quote from NudeRaider
Quote from in_a_biskit
Quote from Fwop_
There is a trick for that. I'm not exactly sure about it but I will ask someone who has already done this in several maps.
[...] ...its about TELEPORTING them to unwalkable terrain. Try to experiment with that until I found the solution.

Moving, or better 'Teleporting' the units to unwalkable terrain (= an area where they cannot be teleported/moved to because of terrain or other units) will make the units nearly unhittable. But psi storms and zerglings can kill the units.

If you want to have the units be attackable, you need a system which teleports them back to their position, if they move, or better, you have to block them like NudeRaider said.

Oct 31 2007, 2:27 am Sie_Sayoka Post #15

Thanks guys but all of these seem too impracticle for my map... so it is concluded no hold position AI script is avaliable :/

None.

Nov 3 2007, 7:56 pm Viii_iiiV Post #16

I have an idea, as always.

Location A is 8x8, location B is 3x3 and there is a burrowed unit under each unit.
Then just cycle through the burrowed units (give them to P11 when used and then move onto next one, and at end give them all back to P10)
So, on each one you just move all in B to A, and with hyper triggers 100 or so units each unit will be put back every 16800 miliseconds (16 seconds). However, this isn't good enough.

So, since there are seven burrowable units and one observer, you can have, instead of one type of unit between 100, one between 12 or 13. This means that they will move back every 2.1 seconds - a much better time. However, you will have to have sixteen locations.

None.

Nov 3 2007, 10:10 pm Ahli Post #17

I do stuff and thingies... Try widening and reducing the number of small nooks and crannies to correct the problem.

just copy the centering triggers 100 times...
in the end you have 300 triggers for that...

Options
  Back to forum