Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 Terrain > Topic: TERRAIN BLENDING CHALLENGE: Deadline April 1
TERRAIN BLENDING CHALLENGE: Deadline April 1
Feb 13 2010, 11:43 pm
By: Aristocrat
Pages: < 1 « 3 4 5 6 >

Mar 13 2010, 11:34 pm Gigins Post #81

No, all this "challenge" turned out such a joke since Aristocrat started accepting "blends" like this. :x

It doesn't matter anyway, since a person is going to report this post and a moderator is going to delete it.

None.

Mar 14 2010, 2:50 am DavidJCobb Post #82

I don't think he's looking for exclusively good blends, Gigins... I think he's looking for any blend that looks even slightly reasonable, although he is displaying an obvious preference for good blends... (That is to say, I think he'll award the challenge to a reasonably good blend, but if there isn't one, then it'll go to a blend that may look like crap, but in a pinch it's better than nothing.)

None.

Mar 14 2010, 11:51 am Gigins Post #83

How can you even call something like this a blend?

I have never worked with ice, and this took me 5 minutes to make. I'm not saying it's a good blend and I'm not posting it for the "challenge". But yea, this is a pinch better than nothing. That other piece is 0.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Mar 14 2010, 12:32 pm by Gigins.

None.

Mar 14 2010, 2:28 pm Super Duper Post #84

Quote from Gigins
No, all this "challenge" turned out such a joke since Aristocrat started accepting "blends" like this. :x

It doesn't matter anyway, since a person is going to report this post and a moderator is going to delete it.
I made a blend.

Its a temple to high ground blend. No blocks afaik.
@Gigins
Seriously, are you still going to compete in this, though?
I mean, its only a matter of time before this turns into a flame war.

None.

Mar 14 2010, 3:46 pm Gigins Post #85

Quote from name:Ciara
Quote from Gigins

I made a blend.

@Gigins
Exactly what I'm talking about! Whats the point to compete if blends like the one you posted count? How come a person has 8 freaking points while it posted 1 good blend and shitload of blocky trash?

No thanks, I'm not competing. :-_-:

None.

Mar 14 2010, 6:40 pm Aristocrat Post #86

Quote from Gigins
How can you even call something like this a blend?

I have never worked with ice, and this took me 5 minutes to make. I'm not saying it's a good blend and I'm not posting it for the "challenge". But yea, this is a pinch better than nothing. That other piece is 0.

So it took you 5 minutes to make. Good for you, so you have talent, now stop assuming that everyone else will be able to do the same thing.

Look, SC tiles were never meant to be "blended". Even the "good" blends that you defined will demonstrate considerable "blockyness" under scrutiny since no tile will be pixel-perfect in matching unless they are matched with the PROPER isometric tiles. Just do "find edges" in Photoshop and you'll see what I'm talking about.

As I said in the OP, I only intended this to be a fun exercise to terrainers by giving them preset blends to try, and a competitive incentive by assigning a score. We already obtained some extremely useful things from this such as DavidJCobb's unbuildable jungle terrain (which will prove to be of incredible value). Besides, it isn't as if a blend posted here will be used exactly; if you find a use for it and you are dissatisfied with the aesthetic constitution, fix it yourself. I really don't see why I should fail to accept reasonable blends. (As you can see, I didn't accept every single one of them; a bunch of blends posted here never made it to the list, per the reasoning that they were excessively "blocky". So your argument does not really hold up here.)

None.

Mar 14 2010, 8:14 pm Lethoth Post #87

BADLANDS:
-Well-blended ramps not involving grass

Here I created a quick one and I tried to make it the less blocky possible

None.

Mar 14 2010, 9:10 pm Gigins Post #88

This is excessively blocky, and you added it to the list.

It's even not just blocky, it's not a blend at all. It's just 1 duplicated tile in between outpost and water cliff doodad.

The whole midle part is dublicated tile, that is blocky by itself. In the lower end only 1 tile out of 4 is blended at all.

Should I even explain this? Chaotic random tiles. Where is the so called blend in this image, I see only blocks.

The high ice is probably just piece of block too, but I can't see that well since it's zoomed out. Why not accept only full size blends? Everybody can zoom out and brag about impossible blends we just can't see.

As I've stated before, I don't want to win in this thing. Please just be reasonable and fair.

None.

Mar 15 2010, 1:03 am DavidJCobb Post #89

I just realized... My walkable-unbuildable terrain was taken from doodads. Now IIRC, units standing behind trees and things are harder to hit (because the terrain is coded to provide cover), so attacking units that happen to be standing on my walkable-unbuildable tiles may be less accurate. This shouldn't be a significant problem in most UMS maps, but if you're using this for melee maps (or other things that require very a finely-tuned balance with SC's normal game and attack mechanics), you should take care when using the tiles.

None.

Mar 15 2010, 2:05 am payne Post #90

:payne:

Quote from name:Ciara
Quote from Gigins

I made a blend.

@Gigins
I -seriously- had a good laugh over that one. XD

None.

Mar 15 2010, 2:08 pm Aristocrat Post #91

Quote from DavidJCobb
I just realized... My walkable-unbuildable terrain was taken from doodads. Now IIRC, units standing behind trees and things are harder to hit (because the terrain is coded to provide cover), so attacking units that happen to be standing on my walkable-unbuildable tiles may be less accurate. This shouldn't be a significant problem in most UMS maps, but if you're using this for melee maps (or other things that require very a finely-tuned balance with SC's normal game and attack mechanics), you should take care when using the tiles.

The doodad tiles are often simply just considered higher-ground tiles (which is how the SC game engine handles vision blocking and hit%). I can vision-test it if necessary if ever used in melee. (By the way, there are several non-doodad tiles that are unbuildable as well, at least for both raised jungles; have you tested those as well?)

None.

Mar 15 2010, 7:57 pm DavidJCobb Post #92

My raised jungles are entirely from the tiles very close to the raised jungle edges.

None.

Mar 15 2010, 9:02 pm Super Duper Post #93

Quote from Gigins

The whole midle part is dublicated tile, that is blocky by itself. In the lower end only 1 tile out of 4 is blended at all.
http://objection.mrdictionary.net/go.php?n=3744848
Seriously.
I mean, read my first post and highlight the hidden text. That is why its a joke. :-(
And I bet he is still going to accept it? :-_-:

None.

Mar 15 2010, 10:08 pm Lethoth Post #94

What do you think of my ramp? :)
——————————————————————
JUNGLE:
-Jungle-cliff-high jungle with no dirt

My attempt at it:

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Mar 15 2010, 10:50 pm by Lethoth. Reason: Added everything below the —separation—

None.

Mar 15 2010, 11:11 pm payne Post #95

Quote from Lethoth
What do you think of my ramp? :)
����������������������
JUNGLE:
-Jungle-cliff-high jungle with no dirt

My attempt at it:

stickynote's blend I think.
And I saw samsizzle using this -a lot- (it's one of his prefered blends) :P

None.

Mar 15 2010, 11:25 pm samsizzle Post #96

Lethoth's is definitely different, but i wonder why he cut off the corners in the picture? hmmmm?

None.

Mar 15 2010, 11:26 pm payne Post #97

Quote from samsizzle
Lethoth's is definitely different, but i wonder why he cut off the corners in the picture? hmmmm?
Haha.
And yup, he added that raised jungle tile, yours was only Jungle. Thus, yours fits more the description :P

None.

Mar 15 2010, 11:29 pm samsizzle Post #98

I can't say it's mine, i sort of adapted it to my needs from some blends in falk's terrain compilation.

None.

Mar 16 2010, 2:41 am DavidJCobb Post #99

@Leth: It's a decent blend. I'd recommend saving pictures of SC terrain as PNGs. The quality's better than a JPEG but the filesize is still small.

None.

Mar 16 2010, 10:04 pm Aristocrat Post #100

Someone should make a PNG/BMP to SCM/X utility.

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 « 3 4 5 6 >
  Back to forum