Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 Melee Map Projects > Topic: (2)NeoPerpetual (Beta)
(2)NeoPerpetual (Beta)
Feb 6 2010, 4:30 pm
By: TheProgramer  

Feb 6 2010, 4:30 pm TheProgramer Post #1

DESCRIPTOIN: Even though the size of the land these two factions are fighting over is small, the 'local color' of the area draws the battles into long perpetual fights. Who will outlast the other?

MAKER'S NOTE: The map has two gimmicks. First is the most obvious, the main battleground consists of bridges. This leads to strong contains. Terran perhaps has an advantage because seige tanks would be able to seige a well turtled base, and keep a good contain, and break a contain. The seacond gimmick is the expansions. There are two gas-only, and two well supplied expansions. These expansions have on one side two geysers and some minerals, and the other has alot of minerals, and access to one of the geysers but it is a bit farther than normal. There are doodads stopping the player from building a HQ in the center to take advantage of both sides of the expansion, but later in the game you can throw up a second HQ on the other side. This simply allows you to choose what you want to have more of faster, gas or minerals.

http://jimandthebull.webs.com/TheProgramer/NeoPerpetual.scx

What do you guys think about it? This is my first map using an editor other than StarEdit so be forgiving.

None.

Feb 6 2010, 4:37 pm OlimarandLouie Post #2

Three things, and then Excalibur will eat your babies.

1 - How is it 2v2? The title used to say 2v2.

2 - This section is for UMS maps... unless you forgot to mention that it's macro/micro or something.

3 - This map is absolutely horrible, and I mean that in the nicest way possible.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Feb 6 2010, 4:44 pm by OlimarandLouie.

None.

Feb 6 2010, 4:49 pm TheProgramer Post #3

Quote from OlimarandLouie

2 - This section is for UMS maps... unless you forgot to mention that it's macro/micro or something.

Oh sorry, I'm new here and didn't notice that, is there a way I can move this over, or will an administrator have to do that?

None.

Feb 6 2010, 5:44 pm Dem0n Post #4

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

I like it.

Feb 6 2010, 8:00 pm Excalibur Post #5

The sword and the faith

Terribly imbalanced and useless for anything approximating competitive play. Its supposed concept is unusable at any level of melee play, since it has no expo layout, just the mains and the big expos on the sides. You can't do that. You also can't just throw bridges and narrow passages in and say WELL ALTHOUGH ITS TIGHT AND NARROW I THINK T WONT BE IMBA BECAUSE OF X, X representing some idea you have that you think makes any difference, which it doesn't. You have no idea what you're doing, and if you haven't read the stickies in this section located here and here you should not be posting. These are the rules.

You should really know how bad this is by looking at it, and if you should throw such a half assed attempt into this section without reading the stickies, you will be receiving severity. Consider this your only warning, maps like this are not welcome here.

SEN Global Moderator and Resident Zealot
-------------------------
The sword and the faith.

:ex:
Sector 12
My stream, live PC building and tech discussion.

Feb 6 2010, 9:06 pm Dem0n Post #6

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Usually I'd think that too, but there's really no way to explain how bad this map is other than that kind of response.

TheProgrammer, you certainly couldn't have looked at this map and thought it was be good. No offense, but this is worse than a Blizzard map. Compare your maps with the other ones in this section, and then see if it's worth posting or not.

Feb 6 2010, 9:07 pm TheProgramer Post #7

Quote from Excalibur
Terribly imbalanced and useless for anything approximating competitive play. Its supposed concept is unusable at any level of melee play, since it has no expo layout, just the mains and the big expos on the sides. You can't do that. You also can't just throw bridges and narrow passages in and say WELL ALTHOUGH ITS TIGHT AND NARROW I THINK T WONT BE IMBA BECAUSE OF X, X representing some idea you have that you think makes any difference, which it doesn't. You have no idea what you're doing, and if you haven't read the stickies in this section located here and here you should not be posting. These are the rules.

You should really know how bad this is by looking at it, and if you should throw such a half assed attempt into this section without reading the stickies, you will be receiving severity. Consider this your only warning, maps like this are not welcome here.

I'm sorry I didn't know it was that bad. If i'm not welcome here, i'll quietly go. . . I don't want to be where I'm not wanted.

None.

Feb 6 2010, 9:13 pm Vanished Post #8

This one is different. I like it.

I think this map is pretty good. It's not like the normal melee maps we are used to. They are all the same.

Quote from TheProgramer
I'm sorry I didn't know it was that bad. If i'm not welcome here, i'll quietly go. . . I don't want to be where I'm not wanted.

Most of the people around here are assholes. Don't worry about it. It looks like you spent a decent amount of time writing a description and making the map. Good job.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Feb 6 2010, 9:18 pm by Vanished.

None.

Feb 6 2010, 9:41 pm Excalibur Post #9

The sword and the faith

Quote from TheProgramer
Quote from Excalibur

What isn't welcome is ignoring the stickies and rules of the section, if the map demonstrated at least some effort based on the information given, I'd not have said anything nearly as harsh.

The problem is you came and posted a topic without reading the stickies, the problem is not that you're bad at making a balanced map, or rather, that's the secondary problem. Read the stickies, and try again, but do not post if you're not going to read the rules and standards on which this section is judged.

Edit:
Quote from Vanished
This one is different. I like it.

I think this map is pretty good. It's not like the normal melee maps we are used to. They are all the same.
Giving bad advice is against the section rules, I'd advise you keep your mouth shut if you don't know what you're talking about.
I suggest you read the stickies, specifically this:
Quote from Sticky
1. Do I know what I am talking about?
-If you have no idea how to make a balanced melee yourself, you really don't have much business trying to tell someone else how to do it. Rather than give bad advice that will only hurt, it's better to be silent and let someone else do the job. If you aren't sure, say so, not everyone's an expert, but if you aren't, do not claim to be.

2. Can the map be improved?
-There are very off chances where a map has been made with a lot of time and care, and is totally fine. There are also times where a map's concept is so bad, or completely lacks a concept, where there is nothing that can be done with it. It is in those cases that you get simple comments of what's wrong with the map, and no details on improvement, because it isn't worth the effort. Some maps can be saved, some can't, and some don't need it at all.

The sword and the faith.

Sector 12

Feb 6 2010, 9:50 pm Vanished Post #10

I wasn't giving advice at all. I was giving my opinion. Go mod-troll somewhere else, Excalibur.

None.

Feb 6 2010, 9:57 pm Excalibur Post #11

The sword and the faith

Quote from Vanished
I wasn't giving advice at all. I was giving my opinion. Go mod-troll somewhere else, Excalibur.
The map is not pretty good or even remotely good, therefore you're giving an opinion which will be detrimental to the maker improving, which is why the rule is in place. If you had included something like 'But I have no idea what makes a melee map good anyway' it would have been fine.

And lol@telling me what to do. :lol:

The sword and the faith.

Sector 12

Feb 6 2010, 10:04 pm Vanished Post #12

Quote from Excalibur
Quote from Vanished
The map is not pretty good or even remotely good, therefore you're giving an opinion which will be detrimental to the maker improving, which is why the rule is in place. If you had included something like 'But I have no idea what makes a melee map good anyway' it would have been fine.

Look at the mineral placement. The gas placement could be better, but this is relatively balanced. I could see some hardcore 1 on 1 happening in this map. He mentioned the problem with his own map. Terran may be superior with bunkering up with siege tanks. This isn't an incompetent mapper like you treated him as.

I don't understand why you would flame him in your first post. His post was sincere. If you had included something like, "It's a good start," it would have been fine.

We, as English speakers, use quotations as opposed to apostrophes when quoting phrases.

And lol@mod-cry. :lol:

None.

Feb 6 2010, 10:07 pm Excalibur Post #13

The sword and the faith

Quote from Vanished
Quote from Excalibur
Quote from Vanished

Look at the mineral placement. The gas placement could be better, but this is relatively balanced. I could see some hardcore 1 on 1 happening in this map. He mentioned the problem with his own map. Terran may be superior with bunkering up with siege tanks. This isn't an incompetent mapper like you treated him as.

I don't understand why you would flame him in your first post. His post was sincere. If you had included something like, "It's a good start," it would have been fine.

We, as English speakers, use quotations as opposed to apostrophes when quoting phrases.

And lol@mod-cry. :lol:
The mineral placement is average and needs to be improved, it is not relatively balanced, there is no balance going on here. In fact, if it wasn't symmetrical, I'd have locked it straight off. I don't think you quite realize the high standards that are set for this section, just anyone can't walk in here with a shit melee and post it up and expect smiles and sugar coated words. He is completely incompetent and unaware, you can see it in his maps over use of straight lines, bridges, and tight paths. He has fuck all idea of what to do which is why I am pointing him towards the stickies.

I didn't flame him at all, but you're hijacking his topic and causing a problem, which leads me to my final point here:
I'm the moderator, I tell you whats okay, not the other way around. If you continue to be off topic and continue this, I'm just going to suspend you from the melee section as you are nothing but a detriment to it thus far.

The sword and the faith.

Sector 12

Feb 6 2010, 10:28 pm Kaias Post #14

Quote from TheProgramer
Quote from Excalibur

As a rule of thumb ignore everything inflammatory that Excalibur says in the melee section and just try to get to the buried constructive criticism. He has a fetish for getting emo over melee projects, since he thinks he's some melee map making god.

None.

Feb 6 2010, 10:52 pm Excalibur Post #15

The sword and the faith

Quote from name:Angelina Jolie
Quote from TheProgramer
Quote from Excalibur

As a rule of thumb ignore everything inflammatory that Excalibur says in the melee section and just try to get to the buried constructive criticism. He has a fetish for getting emo over melee projects, since he thinks he's some melee map making god.
I think no such thing, I'm simply the best SEN has to offer. SEN's melee section is nothing compared to BWMN or TL. Especially TL.

The sword and the faith.

Sector 12

Feb 6 2010, 11:19 pm Super Duper Post #16

I just wanna clear something.
The map is terrible. Not balanced at all. Contradicts ALL the stickies. The whole map neglects balance, fun and concept.
Excalibur is better than all the melee mappers here at SEN, guaranteed.
Also, dont tell Excalibur what to do and dont insult him or else you will wake up with a broken heart, a lollipop stuck to your keester and a basketball shuved deeply into your throat.

EDIT:
Oh, I can make a map like this in 10 minutes.

None.

Feb 6 2010, 11:20 pm Dem0n Post #17

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Really? It takes you that long? I could do this in two minutes, tops.

Feb 6 2010, 11:22 pm Super Duper Post #18

You cant make extended bridges in under 2 minutes -_-

None.

Feb 6 2010, 11:51 pm Jack Post #19

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

Quote from name:Ciara
You cant make extended bridges in under 2 minutes -_-
Yes you can. Just have a premade, then copy and paste the bits.

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Feb 7 2010, 3:51 am ImagoDeo Post #20

Programer, despite all the bad messages, this isn't nearly as bad as my first try. I've gone on to UMS maps since then, but if melee is what you want to do, don't let this get you down! Be like a pruned bush - grow better next time. All the harshness is designed to kill the bad and promote the good.

Don't think you shouldn't keep trying. Just try harder next time, and look for advice on how.

None.

Options
  Back to forum