Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 UMS Theory and Ideas > Topic: In-game constant display
In-game constant display
Dec 25 2009, 11:03 pm
By: Marine  

Dec 29 2009, 11:25 pm poison_us Post #21

Back* from the grave

If you set it up right, it shouldn't eat up strings...you need to use a different string for every line, for maximum benefit. Otherwise, despite the similar lines, the entire string won't be the same.

What I'm saying is this:
scenario #1:

Collapse Box

Vs. three separate strings

Collapse Box

In the first example, every time you want any change at all in the entire string, you need another string...which means you need 99 strings just for your HP, in addition to 99 more strings saying the enemy is distant [for each change in HP], and another set for your objectives [for each change in HP and proximity].
In the second example, every time you get a different % HP, it only needs one more string, for a max of 99. Then, if the enemy is distant, you only need a total of two strings, which you can swap in and out. Picture coming soon, if this is confusing.

As for feedback: I'd enjoy playing a game like this, if my monitor didn't make SC look sucky because of widescreen. I'm still thinking about making an RPG that's gonna be epic, and I might throw something like this in there :)

TL;DR: I'm elaborating on how to exploit SCMDraft 2's redundancy-reduction. Pix.

Dec 30 2009, 7:29 pm xAngelSpiritx Post #22

eternal lurker

Sorry for being ignorant, but I don't see why having too many strings or going over the numerical string limit(1024) is a problem.

1353 strings. And the map runs fine.

None.

Dec 30 2009, 7:45 pm Kaias Post #23

Quote from xAngelSpiritx
Sorry for being ignorant, but I don't see why having too many strings or going over the numerical string limit(1024) is a problem.

Going over the string number limit is not a problem; going over the string memory usage is, however (the 72% in your screenshot). If he combines the variable lines into a string each, rather than doing it line by line, he will get there pretty fast.

None.

Dec 30 2009, 8:03 pm CecilSunkure Post #24

Quote from Kaias
Quote from xAngelSpiritx

Going over the string number limit is not a problem; going over the string memory usage is, however (the 72% in your screenshot). If he combines the variable lines into a string each, rather than doing it line by line, he will get there pretty fast.
Which is exactly why I am only at 42% string usage for my RPG, even though I use an in-game text menu.

None.

Dec 31 2009, 2:21 am poison_us Post #25

Back* from the grave

I guess I better get on that diagram...

Edit2: The reason why the string count on the left is so much lower is because the left side allows for many variables, and SCMDraft has a built-in redundancy reducer. The right side only allows for one variable, and if that variable is not met, it requires another string completely.

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Dec 31 2009, 3:40 am by poison_us. Reason: 1: uploaded pix. 2: You lost The Game.

Options
  Back to forum