Staredit Network > Forums > General StarCraft > Topic: Messed up colors
Messed up colors
Nov 1 2009, 10:27 pm
By: rockz  

Nov 7 2009, 6:19 am ShadowFlare Post #21

Quote from NudeRaider
afaik this effect is called backlight bleeding.
No, this is unrelated. Also, that is mainly only noticed when there is a solid color on the screen.

Quote from NudeRaider
However what I don't like is that my monitor is highly dependent on the viewing angle. Even when looking straight at it I have color shifts at the edges (mainly a little more brightness/less contrast) because I naturally have a higher viewing angle towards the corners. This effect goes only away when I'm really far away which is annoying.
Unless you want to pay about twice as much for a higher end monitor that uses something other than the cheaper TN panels, that's just the way it will be.

Quote from OlimarandLouie
Is the computer with the messed up colors a Vista computer? If so, that might explain your problem. My friends tell me Vista is too "new" to run starcraft :|

Sometimes, if I hit the window key whilst on bnet, (on vista) when I click on starcraft again to restore, EVERYTHING is in black and white. I'd show you guys a picture but I'm unsure how to take screenshots :(
Neither of these are issues specific to Vista. Either can also happen on XP. This is also unrelated to the issue being discussed.

Basically the problem is that the cheaper LCD panel type (TN or twisted nematic) has difficulty displaying darker shades as a neutral grey. This as well as the amount of backlight bleed and the amount and type of color, contrast, or brightness shifting at different angles is typically lessened on the more expensive panel types (costing at least twice as much usually).

None.

Nov 7 2009, 5:22 pm MEMEME670 Post #22

Is the computer with the messed up colors a Vista computer? If so, that might explain your problem. My friends tell me Vista is too "new" to run starcraft :|

Sometimes, if I hit the window key whilst on bnet, (on vista) when I click on starcraft again to restore, EVERYTHING is in black and white. I'd show you guys a picture but I'm unsure how to take screenshots :(

Really? Never happened to me and i do that tons on vista.

None.

Nov 8 2009, 12:33 am Falkoner Post #23

I donno if this is the same thing, but if I minimize SC sometimes in the B.net lobby or the game-lobby, when I come back everything is very odd colors, reminds me of the confetti in the water thing in-game.

None.

Nov 8 2009, 12:43 am Jack Post #24

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

Quote from Falkoner
I donno if this is the same thing, but if I minimize SC sometimes in the B.net lobby or the game-lobby, when I come back everything is very odd colors, reminds me of the confetti in the water thing in-game.
Nah that happens to me too, sometimes without minimizing. I'm guessing it's to do with changing from 256colour to normal and back.

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Nov 8 2009, 6:05 am rockz Post #25

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

Quote from ShadowFlare
Quote from NudeRaider
afaik this effect is called backlight bleeding.
No, this is unrelated. Also, that is mainly only noticed when there is a solid color on the screen.

Quote from NudeRaider
However what I don't like is that my monitor is highly dependent on the viewing angle. Even when looking straight at it I have color shifts at the edges (mainly a little more brightness/less contrast) because I naturally have a higher viewing angle towards the corners. This effect goes only away when I'm really far away which is annoying.
Unless you want to pay about twice as much for a higher end monitor that uses something other than the cheaper TN panels, that's just the way it will be.

Neither of these are issues specific to Vista. Either can also happen on XP. This is also unrelated to the issue being discussed.

Basically the problem is that the cheaper LCD panel type (TN or twisted nematic) has difficulty displaying darker shades as a neutral grey. This as well as the amount of backlight bleed and the amount and type of color, contrast, or brightness shifting at different angles is typically lessened on the more expensive panel types (costing at least twice as much usually).
Thanks, this explains my situation perfectly. Changing contrast will edit some of these blacks to a better black, at the loss of contrast in these lower areas.

Computer is XP; I know all about the crazy colors when you minimize.

"Parliamentary inquiry, Mr. Chairman - do we have to call the Gentleman a gentleman if he's not one?"

Nov 10 2009, 2:02 am 13Stallion Post #26

does the color problem really stop u from playing starcraft, if it doesnt theres no need to fret.

None.

Nov 10 2009, 7:32 am rockz Post #27

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

There's always a need to fret if it isn't perfect.

"Parliamentary inquiry, Mr. Chairman - do we have to call the Gentleman a gentleman if he's not one?"

Nov 10 2009, 9:05 am NudeRaider Post #28

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

Quote from 13Stallion
does the color problem really stop u from playing starcraft, if it doesnt theres no need to fret.
You do realize that this problem is not StarCraft related, right?

Nov 14 2009, 7:38 am Jack Post #29

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

Quote from NudeRaider
Quote from 13Stallion
You do realize that this problem is not StarCraft related, right?
Then why is it im General Starcraft?

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Nov 14 2009, 10:07 am NudeRaider Post #30

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

Quote from name:zany_001
Then why is it im General Starcraft?
Because rockz noticed it in StarCraft and thought it might have something to do with the game. Later in the topic he realized it's not StarCraft, but his monitor.

Read the thread next time, before inciting off-topic discussion.
But yes, it could be moved to Technology and Computers now. PM a mod if it disturbs you so much here.

Options
  Back to forum