Staredit Network > Forums > Technology & Computers > Topic: Yet another new system.
Yet another new system.
Oct 28 2009, 1:07 am
By: Vrael
Pages: < 1 « 2 3 4

Dec 17 2009, 5:25 am Vrael Post #61

Well, we ordered and got the thing a week or three ago, but my dad waited for me to come home and check all the cables and stuff out before pluggin it in and stuff. Works great, except for the fact we forgot to plug the power into the hard drive the first try lol. Once we got past that it worked great, except for the fact our stupid old monitor only has a VGA port and we went to staples (closed) best buy (didn't have it) and target (has nothing, shit electronics section) and couldn't find a VGA-to-DVI adapter, but we bought an HDMI cable intead and hooked it up to our brand spankin' new tv that we got on black friday. Once we hooked it up to the tv, works great, but I didn't get into anything like overclocking or checking the RAM timings yet. My dad put a liiiiiittle too much OCZ gunk on it, but I think it should be okay. It scores like 7.3-7.5 (except the hard drive is a 5.9, but meh, we only have one hard drive, probably takes a RAID0 to get the 7 range) on the windows experience, which is pretty cool, and my brother is so happy to have a computer that doesn't take more than 5 seconds to open something. Thanks for the help folks.

Has anyone else noticed that Windows 7 is Windows Vista + a new background and a new name?

None.

Dec 17 2009, 11:43 pm Vi3t-X Post #62

Windows 7 and Windows Vista were developed simultaneously at first.

None.

Dec 18 2009, 1:06 am OlimarandLouie Post #63

Congratulations on your brand new 1337 computer... however...

I hate mine. So much. :(

None.

Dec 19 2009, 12:28 am Falkoner Post #64

Quote from rockz
As for socket 775, it's a dead socket

That's what most people thought a while back, and then it came back in the Pentium D, I doubt it's not going to show up again, but it's really irrelevant, since he intends to make this computer last a while, on the original hardware.

My dad put a liiiiiittle too much OCZ gunk on it, but I think it should be okay

As long as it's not like floating on it, you should be fine, the thermal compound really isn't that good of a conductor, they used to use a copper goo, and that WAS a great heat conductor, but this stuff is simply to fill the air gap between the CPU and other metals, because it at least conducts heat better than air.

Has anyone else noticed that Windows 7 is Windows Vista + a new background and a new name?

You can't forget the Mac imitations in the GUI! :P Honestly though, at first it does look like that, but they definitely put a lot more thought into 7, rather than just rushing it out there, and it's got a lot of differences under the hood ;)

None.

Dec 19 2009, 7:26 am rockz Post #65

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

It's mainly because intel came out with 2 brand new sockets that I think 775 is dead. 775 was a year old when Pentium D came out. 775 was 5 years old when 1366 came out. We're not going to see any new processors for 775.

"Parliamentary inquiry, Mr. Chairman - do we have to call the Gentleman a gentleman if he's not one?"

Dec 21 2009, 12:19 pm Excalibur Post #66

The sword and the faith

Quote from Vrael
Well, we ordered and got the thing a week or three ago, but my dad waited for me to come home and check all the cables and stuff out before pluggin it in and stuff. Works great, except for the fact we forgot to plug the power into the hard drive the first try lol. Once we got past that it worked great, except for the fact our stupid old monitor only has a VGA port and we went to staples (closed) best buy (didn't have it) and target (has nothing, shit electronics section) and couldn't find a VGA-to-DVI adapter, but we bought an HDMI cable intead and hooked it up to our brand spankin' new tv that we got on black friday. Once we hooked it up to the tv, works great, but I didn't get into anything like overclocking or checking the RAM timings yet. My dad put a liiiiiittle too much OCZ gunk on it, but I think it should be okay. It scores like 7.3-7.5 (except the hard drive is a 5.9, but meh, we only have one hard drive, probably takes a RAID0 to get the 7 range) on the windows experience, which is pretty cool, and my brother is so happy to have a computer that doesn't take more than 5 seconds to open something. Thanks for the help folks.
Sounds great. If and when you want to get into overclocking, let me know. Glad it all turned out okay. :)

SEN Global Moderator and Resident Zealot
-------------------------
The sword and the faith.

:ex:
Sector 12
My stream, live PC building and tech discussion.

Options
Pages: < 1 « 2 3 4
  Back to forum