Staredit Network > Forums > Serious Discussion > Topic: 'Rebel' state nuclear programs
'Rebel' state nuclear programs
Sep 11 2009, 2:15 am
By: Centreri  

Sep 12 2009, 7:05 am BeDazed Post #21

I'll repeat, a draft is unnecessary. Not only is a decent-pay volunteer army mixed with the manhood-if-in-army culture a viable alternative, but South Korea needs one thing to defend itself: A nuclear weapon. Thirdly, even if South Korea had nothing, North Korea wouldn't attack because it would be attacked. Like a nuclear weapon is deterrent, so is having everyone not want North Korea attacking South Korea a deterrent.
Well heres some pointers for your ignorant view.
Well, did you know that the Koreas are still in a state of war? You don't have to declare a war, you can just attack whenever you want- since no peace was declared. That is why, a draft is in place- and is an absolute necessity. That is also why, the Americans keep a relatively large base in Korea.
1. Volunteer armies cannot have a large standing army.
2. You cannot have a large amount of reserve force without either having a 'national military training' or 'drafting'- which you require in any case of imminent invasion.
3. Civilians have absolutely no say when it comes down to a barrel on the neck.
Oh and, you're not the one who decides what is necessary or not. I hope you aren't going to debase what Korea does and doesn't anymore.

And a non-proliferation treaty limits South Korea with just nuclear reactors. Apparently, South Korea isn't as isolated as North Korea is, and has a 'face' to preserve.
source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_war (look at the results.)

For the record, I haven't eaten a burger in maybe eleven years. Yay me.
Then I will generalize. Food rather than burger.

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Sep 12 2009, 8:39 am by BeDazed.

None.

Sep 12 2009, 5:27 pm Centreri Post #22

Relatively ancient and inactive

Well, did you know that the Koreas are still in a state of war? You don't have to declare a war, you can just attack whenever you want- since no peace was declared. That is why, a draft is in place- and is an absolute necessity. That is also why, the Americans keep a relatively large base in Korea.
Largely irrelevant. Russia is officially in a state of war with Japan, as there was no peace treaty following WWII because the Japs don't like us taking their islands and want them back. Believe it or not, neither expects the other to launch an air strike at the their military bases. Officially at war isn't an argument.

1. Volunteer armies cannot have a large standing army.
Please explain.

And a non-proliferation treaty limits South Korea with just nuclear reactors. Apparently, South Korea isn't as isolated as North Korea is, and has a 'face' to preserve.
The non-proliferation treaty isn't mandatory. Israel and India didn't sign it; did it make them lose a lot of face (lul)? Again, even assuming that you're right, isn't losing a bit of face worth removing mandatory military service? Do you care about a tiny bit of face enough to do that?

Otherwise, again, you're assuming that North Korea would attack South Korea. In a world where not one country wants North Korea to occupy South Korea, where attacking South Korea would be equivalent to declaring war on US and ruffling others' feathers due to the necessity of killing US and UN peacekeepers to finish the conquest, it isn't necessary to possess nukes. You already have deterrent.

You can keep repeating that you need a standing army in case North Korea attacks, but until you actually provide an argument for why attacking you is such a bright idea even assuming you have no conscript army (but regular, voluntary military service), your arguments are useless. And, again: is saving a tiny bit of face worth it?

None.

Sep 12 2009, 8:13 pm Vrael Post #23

If you guys want to branch off into North Korea vs. South Korea, you should probably open a new topic. If you can relate this back to the topic at hand then fine, but it looks to me like this topic is becoming something completely different.

BeDazed, drop the superiority act. Start providing some reasoning and more citations if you think Centreri is so ignorant.

And to both of you; what exactly are you arguing over? What's the point you're trying to make? That N or S Korea would win in a war?

As to the whole peace treaty thing, Japan and the Russian Federation are both in the U.N. -- they undoubtedly have a peace treaty of some sort.
As for the N/S Korean thing, armistice signed 27 July 1953.
Quote from name:North">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_conflict]North Korea unilaterally withdrew from the armistice on 27 May 2009.[33]

Its really not that hard to find the proper citations for these things, so start providing them.

As for what I think about the whole situation, I'd be much happier if only the U.S. and Russia had nukes, as of now they're the only two countries I trust to not blow the shit out of each other with them. Maybe a few others, and I think the power they provide should be kept for scientific purposes which could benefit humanity perhaps (deter asteroids or something, idk) but I think everyone would sleep more soundly if there were never any threat of nuclear war.

None.

Sep 12 2009, 9:26 pm Centreri Post #24

And to both of you; what exactly are you arguing over? What's the point you're trying to make? That N or S Korea would win in a war?
The argument evolved into one of whether conscription is necessary in South Korea. If you want, we can make a new topic for every single tangent we get, but after a while of me purposefully spamming tangent-topics to prove my point of them being annoying, you'll be... well, annoyed. See, this topic can be split into its original purpose, who would win in a war, is conscription necessary, what is the depth of US commitment to South Korea, would Japan join in to help South Korea against the North, and a ton of other things that also involve Iran. It's better if we keep it in one topic.

As to the whole peace treaty thing, Japan and the Russian Federation are both in the U.N. -- they undoubtedly have a peace treaty of some sort.
From a random article on the matter: 'During the talks, the two leaders agreed that having no bilateral peace treaty is an obstacle further cooperation in various fields.'.

Its really not that hard to find the proper citations for these things, so start providing them.
Citations aren't necessary unless I ask for a source. However, him calling me ignorant and saying that my receptors are too small for him to cram all he knows in them is a different matter. For THAT, he needs citation that proves me wrong.

As for what I think about the whole situation, I'd be much happier if only the U.S. and Russia had nukes, as of now they're the only two countries I trust to not blow the shit out of each other with them. Maybe a few others, and I think the power they provide should be kept for scientific purposes which could benefit humanity perhaps (deter asteroids or something, idk) but I think everyone would sleep more soundly if there were never any threat of nuclear war.
I essentially agree with this. India and Pakistan are risky because they're in a mini-cold-war of their own, Israel's in constant conflict in the Middle East, Iran's a religious state and North Korea is ruled by... generally bad people. China, England and France can, I suppose, be trusted, so I don't want them to have nukes for other reasons entirely. I believe, though, that for certain states, their sovereignty can only be maintained through the possession of nuclear weapons. For South Korea, nuclear weapons can create parity with the North, reduce reliance on the US and the UN, and eliminate (I think) the need for conscription. If I were someone in power in South Korea, I'd at least consider dropping the non-proliferation pact to end reliance on the US and increase sovereignty. This same principle of nuclear weapons helping the development of individual states is evident elsewhere, such as the Middle East. Iran wants nuclear weapons to be able to ensure safety from Israeli strikes, while Israel wanted the nuclear weapons to stop all of the middle east from piling on top of it.

None.

Sep 18 2009, 1:25 am Kyrax Post #25

Quote from MasterJohnny
Personally I find it foolish for North Korea to invest money into a nuclear program seeing how they are in poverty. To make North Korea look worse, you can see South Korea's technological advancements with Samsung and LG.

Why would it be foolish? Wouldn't it be somewhat of a good idea for them to get a nuclear program down, so they can maybe invest some more money into better Energy for their country, which in turn if done correctly, could boost the Economy?

None.

Sep 18 2009, 2:38 am BiOAtK Post #26

The North Koreans don't care about economy. They're communist and totalitarian.
I personally believe it is necessary for nuclear weapons to be possessed by some nations. Notice, there have been no direct wars between superpowers since the invention of them. Before, wars were fairly common. They're a deterrent.

None.

Sep 19 2009, 8:20 pm rayNimagi Post #27

Quote from BiOAtK
The North Koreans don't care about economy. They're communist and totalitarian.
I personally believe it is necessary for nuclear weapons to be possessed by some nations. Notice, there have been no direct wars between superpowers since the invention of them. Before, wars were fairly common. They're a deterrent.

Ever heard of proxy war? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proxy_war and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_proxy_wars)

If an atomic bomb exploded in North Korea it would drastically change the environment of Northern China, Japan and the entire Korean Peninsula. I don't think the US would fire an ICBM aimed at North Korea.

Win by luck, lose by skill.

Sep 26 2009, 1:22 am BiOAtK Post #28

Yes, that's exactly my point. They have proxy wars instead of actual wars.

None.

Sep 26 2009, 1:37 am CecilSunkure Post #29

Quote from MasterJohnny
Personally I find it foolish for North Korea to invest money into a nuclear program seeing how they are in poverty. To make North Korea look worse, you can see South Korea's technological advancements with Samsung and LG.
Well, I don't have a citation because I can't remember where I heard this; North Korea spent money going nuclear in order to be able to be considered more of a threat to countries like the U.S., which are intent on containing communism. Sure, last time I checked North Korea only had like 7 operational nuclear missiles, but 7 is enough to keep much larger countries from taking advantage of you politically or economically. Those 7 nuclear missiles are being used by just having them, and aren't exactly made with the intentions of a launch at all. It's like a microcosm of the Cold War; they have the weapons but don't want to use them, though the action of having the weapons can prevent certain events from happening which North Korea would find detrimental to their well being.

None.

Sep 26 2009, 11:20 pm Centreri Post #30

While it's true that nuclear missiles are mainly used as deterrent and for influence, I believe that North Korea's missiles aren't nearly sophisticated enough to get through the US's or Russia's defense systems. I would expect that Japan had systems in place to intercept them from the US as well, and China might be far enough along to intercept them. The deterrent is very weak, and probably the largest reason it hasn't been invaded is the 1% chance that something goes wrong and it works, coupled with the not-wanting-a-war syndrome.

None.

Nov 17 2009, 6:51 am PwnPirate Post #31

It's rather offending that you think we Koreans would ever consider nuking our captured hostage family in the north. It's also offending that you think a draft is backwards and imposing, considering nobody has died in the ROK army for decades. You guys are completely in the dark about the true nature of this situation and Korean culture. Consider it Berlin Wall II. That would put it in a better perspective for you.

None.

Options
  Back to forum