Jul 24 2009, 5:48 pm Excalibur Post #21

The sword and the faith

Yeah it's a looker all right, it also has amazing cooling performance. :P

SEN Global Moderator and Resident Zealot
-------------------------
The sword and the faith.

:ex:
Sector 12
My stream, live PC building and tech discussion.

Jul 24 2009, 5:49 pm CecilSunkure Post #22

Quick question, what is the thermal paste for?

None.

Jul 24 2009, 5:52 pm Excalibur Post #23

The sword and the faith

Quote from CecilSunkure
Quick question, what is the thermal paste for?
You apply it ontop of your CPU before you put the heatsink on. As a rule of thumb, stock paste always sucks, so even if you aren't going to get the Sunbeam now, get a tube of OCZ Freeze Extreme off newegg, its like 7$, and use that instead of the stock Intel paste.

To remove thermal paste: coffee filters + rubbing alcohol. ALWAYS remove old thermal paste or stock thermal paste before applying new thermal paste. So when you get yours, assuming you aren't getting the Sunbeam yet, coffee filter + rubbing alcohol the paste off the Intel heatsink, apply ricegrain drop onto CPU, put on cooler. Same process if you do get the Sunbeam + paste now.

To apply: a drop about the size of a grain of rice in the center of the cpu before putting on the heatsink.

The sword and the faith.

Sector 12

Jul 24 2009, 8:22 pm DevliN Post #24

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

What technique do you use to spread the paste? I've heard everything from using some cardboard to smear it to using a finger. When I put mine on, I used the edge of a piece of cardboard.

\:devlin\: Currently Working On: \:devlin\:
My Overwatch addiction.

Jul 24 2009, 8:57 pm Excalibur Post #25

The sword and the faith

Quote from DevliN
What technique do you use to spread the paste? I've heard everything from using some cardboard to smear it to using a finger. When I put mine on, I used the edge of a piece of cardboard.
You do not spread it. When the heatsink is placed on top and secured the pressure spreads it out, and the heat will do the rest.

The sword and the faith.

Sector 12

Jul 24 2009, 9:00 pm DevliN Post #26

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Really? I always heard (and read) that you have to just in case it doesn't cover everything on its own.

My Overwatch addiction.

Jul 25 2009, 1:35 am CecilSunkure Post #27

I'm sure it doesn't really matter if you spread it or not.

None.

Jul 25 2009, 2:08 am Excalibur Post #28

The sword and the faith

Quote from DevliN
Really? I always heard (and read) that you have to just in case it doesn't cover everything on its own.
Well, it's incorrect.

Quote from CecilSunkure
Letting it be spread by the pressure and heat is beneficial because it gets put where it's needed in a nice thin coat.

The sword and the faith.

Sector 12

Jul 25 2009, 9:31 am DevliN Post #29

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Quote from CecilSunkure
Well I'm basing this on the concept that any uncovered portion could badly mess up your rig.

That's so crazy, though, there are millions of sites saying you have to spread it. My mind has been blown.

My Overwatch addiction.

Jul 25 2009, 11:19 am Excalibur Post #30

The sword and the faith

Quote from DevliN
Quote from CecilSunkure
Well I'm basing this on the concept that any uncovered portion could badly mess up your rig.

That's so crazy, though, there are millions of sites saying you have to spread it. My mind has been blown.
My E2140 runs 1.6Ghz at stock. It is running 3.2GHz, 28-30c idle and always under 65c load. I didn't spread. :P

The sword and the faith.

Sector 12

Jul 25 2009, 12:31 pm DevliN Post #31

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Sorry to hijack the topic, but I had a question regarding CPU temps (while you're mentioning yours). I'm currently using RMClock to monitor my CPU temp, but based on what the temp shows in my BIOS, RMClock is about 25-30 degrees off (in celsius). Is there a different program you use to monitor yours? I've been having throttle issues during the day (fun 90+ degree heat and no A/C = 50c idle) and have been trying to find an accurate measurement to monitor my CPU's temperature.

My Overwatch addiction.

Jul 25 2009, 1:13 pm Excalibur Post #32

The sword and the faith

Quote from DevliN
Sorry to hijack the topic, but I had a question regarding CPU temps (while you're mentioning yours). I'm currently using RMClock to monitor my CPU temp, but based on what the temp shows in my BIOS, RMClock is about 25-30 degrees off (in celsius). Is there a different program you use to monitor yours? I've been having throttle issues during the day (fun 90+ degree heat and no A/C = 50c idle) and have been trying to find an accurate measurement to monitor my CPU's temperature.
Coretemp is the only true temp monitor. All else is inferior.
http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

The sword and the faith.

Sector 12

Jul 25 2009, 2:48 pm rockz Post #33

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

you don't like smart guardian?

"Parliamentary inquiry, Mr. Chairman - do we have to call the Gentleman a gentleman if he's not one?"

Jul 25 2009, 4:12 pm Excalibur Post #34

The sword and the faith

Quote from rockz
you don't like smart guardian?
I am indifferent to it because Coretemp does the job I need it to do better than any tool I've encountered.

The sword and the faith.

Sector 12

Jul 26 2009, 12:08 am CecilSunkure Post #35

Quote from Excalibur
Quote from DT_Battlekruser
Agreed on Excalibur's build. Killer for the price.

Also, holy crap at that GPU. $150 and free shipping?
It gets better:

They list it as a 90$ card with 2x 30$ gifts. I wish you could refuse the gifts and get the card for 90$. :P
I just added my build to the cart, and noticed the card was 90$ -OMG! Then I noticed I'm being charged for the "free" gifts as well, which brings it back to 150.. lol

[Edit]
Quote from Excalibur
Quote from DevliN
Well, it's incorrect.

Quote from CecilSunkure
Letting it be spread by the pressure and heat is beneficial because it gets put where it's needed in a nice thin coat.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835202006

The manufacturer response states that you should not spread it over the entire surface.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jul 26 2009, 12:14 am by CecilSunkure.

None.

Jul 26 2009, 12:58 am DevliN Post #36

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Wow! Hmm maybe I should get some of that and reapply the thermal paste on my CPU. It may help me greatly, now that I think about it.

My Overwatch addiction.

Jul 26 2009, 12:58 am CecilSunkure Post #37

When I order these parts, am I going to have all the proper chords to connect each part together?

None.

Jul 26 2009, 1:00 am DevliN Post #38

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Yes. Every component should come with the proper cables. The mobo should come with a SATA cable. The PSU will come with the proper power cables.

EDIT: Meant motherboard, not HD. :P

My Overwatch addiction.

Jul 26 2009, 1:00 am Excalibur Post #39

The sword and the faith

Quote from CecilSunkure
When I order these parts, am I going to have all the proper chords to connect each part together?
Everything will come with the proper cables unless it is OEM/open box. That's the difference between OEM and Retail: OEM is an item in bubble wrap and an anti-static bag. Retail comes in a box you'd find on a shelf in a store, with accessories.

Your harddrive is probably OEM, but that's okay, because motherboards come with SATA cables, and the powersupply definitely has SATA power connectors. You'll be fine.

The sword and the faith.

Sector 12

Jul 26 2009, 1:04 am CecilSunkure Post #40

Ok cool.

Altogether the price is 809.15, that is including the CD drive, thermal paste, and the Sunbeam cooler, as well as a new keyboard (mine is pretty much junk atm).

If I include rebates, that lies at 774.15!

I'm excited!

[Edit] Both prices include 3 day shipping.

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 >
  Back to forum