Staredit Network > Forums > Staredit Network > Topic: Serious Discussion Strictness
Serious Discussion Strictness
Apr 9 2009, 7:23 pm
By: Sael
Pages: < 1 2 3

Apr 11 2009, 11:40 pm InsolubleFluff Post #41

Since when was telling someone you want to be disrespectful -- respectful?

Moose, Centreri constantly wants to be right, even if in the wrong. He's not worthy of SD (he is if you add T.)

None.

Apr 11 2009, 11:48 pm TriggR_HappE Post #42

CAFG called you trigger happy :(.

What's wrong with being trigger happy?

Lol@the rest of this thread.

None.

Apr 12 2009, 1:21 am Fisty Post #43

tl;dr

You know what would solve all of the complaints about strictness in SD? bring back LD

None.

Apr 12 2009, 2:43 am Riney Post #44

Thigh high affectionado

Quote from name:Deathman101
tl;dr

You know what would solve all of the complaints about strictness in SD? bring back LD

And doing so would reunite the bond between null and SD once again, as they had found a center known as LD.

Riney#6948 on Discord.
Riney on Steam (Steam)
@RineyCat on Twitter

-- Updated as of December 2021 --

Apr 12 2009, 8:51 am InsolubleFluff Post #45

Bring back the welcome forum as well. I've PM'd you my reasons...

None.

Apr 12 2009, 9:58 pm A_of-s_t Post #46

aka idmontie

How about we just turn SEN into 4chan?

Personal GitHub
Starcraft GitHub Organization - Feel free to request member status!
TwitchTV

Apr 13 2009, 2:01 am MillenniumArmy Post #47

Just want to say that I totally agree with what devilesk/urine/noob/PresidentObama said.
The forum is called Serious Discussion not Intelligent Debate.
Serious != Intelligent
Discussion != Debate
If your thread gets closed, tough.
If your posts get deleted, tough.
If you have a problem with moderation or rules, tough.
It's not the end of the world. Life goes on and there's still plenty you can do other than spending time acting all smart and intelligent in such forums with people you don't know.

If there is one minor thing I'd like to point out, it is that to me personally it seems as though some moderators use (unintentionally or not) their personal or perhaps even biased views as justifications for their actions (a while ago I PMed moose some examples so I hope at least he would understand.) It's not a recent thing, I've noticed it a lot for the past several months or so. Seems to me that moderators are more likely to hand out justice to threads and posts made by people whose point of views and/or arguments they disagree with than those whose point of views and/or arguments they agree with. Not saying that what they do is wrong, but when I see people of various sides of discussions or issues commit about the same reprehensible deeds sometimes I only see one side getting more "justice" rained down upon them.

Now if you get banned or suspended for any of the above, then that's somewhat of a different story...

None.

Apr 13 2009, 3:12 am Vrael Post #48

Quote from name:MilleniumArmy
Just want to say that I totally agree with what devilesk/urine/noob/PresidentObama said.
The forum is called Serious Discussion not Intelligent Debate.
Serious != Intelligent
Discussion != Debate

Well, to have a serious discussion you kinda need some intelligence and to be able to debate.
Quote from name:SD Rules
The goal of the Serious Discussion and these rules is to foster an environment fit for a higher caliber of intelligent discussion and debate not found in the other forums.

Quote from name:MilleniumArmy
If there is one minor thing I'd like to point out, it is that to me personally it seems as though some moderators use (unintentionally or not) their personal or perhaps even biased views as justifications for their actions (a while ago I PMed moose some examples so I hope at least he would understand.) It's not a recent thing, I've noticed it a lot for the past several months or so. Seems to me that moderators are more likely to hand out justice to threads and posts made by people whose point of views and/or arguments they disagree with than those whose point of views and/or arguments they agree with. Not saying that what they do is wrong, but when I see people of various sides of discussions or issues commit about the same reprehensible deeds sometimes I only see one side getting more "justice" rained down upon them.
Good points. I hope above any other mistakes I may make to avoid this. Hopefully I haven't been around long enough to be included in that list you sent to Moose, and if I was, please tell me about it so that I can recognize such a mistake and avoid it next time. Though on the side of the moderators, I expect that maybe it had not so much to do with the point of view of the victim of moderation, but the frequency of infringement upon the rules leading to less flexible moderation in their case? I don't know for sure.

None.

Apr 13 2009, 5:55 am Moose Post #49

We live in a society.

The SD rules have been updated. Several clarifications and changes were made in other rules, but Rule 7 was for the most part rewritten.

Also, Serious Discussion is not necessarily a poor way of naming the forum after what it describes because "serious" has many applicable meanings:
Main Entry: se·ri·ous
Pronunciation: \ˈsir-ē-əs\
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English seryows, from Anglo-French or Late Latin; Anglo-French serious, from Late Latin seriosus, alteration of Latin serius weighty, serious; probably akin to Old English swę̄r heavy, sad
Date: 15th century

1: thoughtful or subdued in appearance or manner : sober <a quiet, serious girl>
2a: requiring much thought or work <serious study> b: of or relating to a matter of importance <a serious play>
3a: not joking or trifling : being in earnest <a serious question> b: <archaic> pious c: deeply interested : devoted <a serious musician>
4 : not easily answered or solved <serious objections> b: having important or dangerous possible consequences <a serious injury>
5: excessive or impressive in quality, quantity, extent, or degree <serious stereo equipment> <making serious money> <serious drinking>
(or it's a terrible name because the word has too many meanings and is ambiguous :P)

Post has been edited 4 time(s), last time on Apr 13 2009, 6:30 am by Mini Moose 2707.

Apr 13 2009, 6:48 am InsolubleFluff Post #50

You should name it "SRS DISCUSHUN" to take away a little more SRS.

As a wise man once said, "Why so serious?"

None.

Apr 15 2009, 1:26 am A_of-s_t Post #51

aka idmontie

I reiterate:

Personal GitHub
Starcraft GitHub Organization - Feel free to request member status!
TwitchTV

Apr 15 2009, 1:37 am ForTheSwarm Post #52

Quote from A_of-s_t
I reiterate:

Too late for that.

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3
  Back to forum