Oct 4 2007, 7:42 pm
By: JaFF  

Oct 4 2007, 7:42 pm JaFF Post #1

•••Trust is a deadly weapon in its hands•••

The Thing: Deadly Trust

[»] Download Map [«]
http://www.maplantis.org/index.php?map=1175

[»] About Deadly Trust [«]
A game of paranoia and fear awaits you. Betrayal and delusions come to form Deadly Trust – a map with chilling atmosphere and extreme attention to detail.

Forget the Beta that I released about a year ago, this is something totally different!

[»] Map Specifics [«]
Playable Area: 96x96
Tileset: Installation
Human Players: 6
File Size: 140 kb
Target Audience: Anyone who’s not a total noob
Maximum Game Time: 13 minutes (in real time)
Version: Public Test 2

[»] Storyline [«]
Year 2784. A scientific vessel lands on an unexplored planet, and finds alien form of life. It is taken aboard and the ship sets course to Earth. Further tests on the newly found form of life show that it can ‘assimilate’ any cell and imitate it afterwards. It was tested on lab rats in the vessel’s lab, and the results were amazing. A mouse was totally assimilated after 2 hours from first contact. The new ‘mouse’ acted just like any other mouse would, except the fact that it will try to infect any other forms of life nearby. Further studies showed that infection spreads up to 120 times faster in a dead body that's still warm. In most cases, the infection takes over the corpse and brings it back to life within a minute after death. This organism was dubbed ‘The Thing’ for its terrifying capabilities. One of the alien creatures broke free…

You can find out the rest of the story in-game, by researching the logs on the computers.

The ending of the story is written by you, dear player…

[»] Gameplay [«]
You are one of the few survivors in a sealed off module. One of you is The Thing – an alien in human form. The humans must send the warning transmission to Earth before the ship reaches it’s destination, or else all is lost. The alien organisms must stop the humans from sending the transmission.

[»] Features [«]
[»] Inventory [«]
An item system operated via a Shuttle. There are 4 item types: Health Pack, Shield Pack, Motion Tracker, Energy Pack.

[»] Vehicles [«]
There are 3 vehicle types in the game. If the vehicle is destroyed while you’re in it, you have a 50% chance to survive, so be careful.

[»] Energy [«]
Energy is essential for survival – it is required to use items and vehicles. When you run out of energy your movement is slowed. You must find Energy Packs all around the map to recharge your energy. When you are killed, the Energy Pack you had is dropped, so players can kill each other for energy.

[»] Screenshots [«]

[»] Important Messages [«]
If you have any suggestions/ideas, this is your last chance to influence the map.

Report any bugs in this topic or PM me.

[»] Special Thanks To [«]
•DapperDan2006
•Seleal
•Zeratul_101
•Lethal_Illusion
•DEAD (aka Gigins)
•Sie_Sayoka

None.

Oct 4 2007, 11:16 pm Ei47 Post #2

:( looks fun, but i don't have a working Brood war disk. Any chance you could make a scm version?

None.

Oct 4 2007, 11:18 pm who Post #3

why don't you buy it, it's 10$- now...

None.

Oct 4 2007, 11:58 pm Sauceover Post #4

i remember playing this, it was cool...but thing maps aren't my cup of tea

out of curioisty, did you mean "trust is a deadly weapon in the wrong hands"?

None.

Oct 5 2007, 9:06 am JaFF Post #5

Quote from Sauceover
No. I know what I wrote. :P

None.

Oct 8 2007, 7:16 am payne Post #6

:payne:

Found a bug (a real one this time!) :
I were a human and the thing were after me.
I was gonna die (1 hit and I were dead) so I decided to enter into a vehicule (a goliath in this case).
But just before I get into it, the zergling kills me and a broodling spawn BUT I entered the Goliath for an unknown reason... so now, I have a Goliath, a broodling and my marine (wich is supposed to be dead) at the middle bottom of the map and when I try to exit the Goliath (move the marine), the marine is teleported to the goliath and the goliath disapear but then my marine get teleported back to the middle bottom space and I get again the Goliath...
Oh... and it seems that the game were considering me as dead cause the Thing has won.

None.

Oct 8 2007, 7:42 am JaFF Post #7

Quote from payne
Found a bug (a real one this time!) :
I were a human and the thing were after me.
I was gonna die (1 hit and I were dead) so I decided to enter into a vehicule (a goliath in this case).
But just before I get into it, the zergling kills me and a broodling spawn BUT I entered the Goliath for an unknown reason... so now, I have a Goliath, a broodling and my marine (wich is supposed to be dead) at the middle bottom of the map and when I try to exit the Goliath (move the marine), the marine is teleported to the goliath and the goliath disapear but then my marine get teleported back to the middle bottom space and I get again the Goliath...
Oh... and it seems that the game were considering me as dead cause the Thing has won.
You are supposed to get a 50 HP human form upon infection. That's not a bug. :P

But the fact that it entered the vehicle with the broodling staying outside is a bug indeed. The fact that you had 2 forms at the same time created another bug.

Thanks. :)

None.

Oct 8 2007, 8:25 am payne Post #8

:payne:

Nope!
Glad to have find a REAL bug :D

None.

Oct 10 2007, 10:17 pm Dapperdan Post #9

This map is sexy, seriously. A map that will make all other "The Thing" maps obsolete, for sure. At least to everyone who has played it. I highly recommend this map as something that you would want to play a few times a month forever. (after the initial surge of playing it a lot) The systems are just so perfect for what is required. ^^

None.

Oct 10 2007, 10:34 pm Joshgt2 Post #10

Can this be done in single player too or is it only for Battle.net?

None.

Oct 10 2007, 11:24 pm who Post #11

It's the thing, you need multiplayer.
One person is the thing, who can transform into a strong zergling, and everyone has a marine. the point is to figure out who's the thing and kill him. the thing is to kill all the marines.

None.

Oct 28 2007, 8:13 am Durandal Post #12

I believe he's refering to the Thing's hands.

None.

Dec 31 2007, 3:12 am Ei47 Post #13

:D Got bw over christmas and I started playing this, it's really fun, as long as there aren't a bunch of newbies who leave in the middle of the game >.>.
But anyways, is there anyways to use the Infared scanner? I tried to move shuttle when me and my friend were both on it, but nothing happened. Is it supposed to detect the thing because one of the logs said, "The thing's body tempature is on average 300 degree celsious, so now you know how to detect a thing!" Or something like that. If you can use the scanners, how do you?

None.

Dec 31 2007, 10:52 pm JaFF Post #14

Quote from Ei47
:D Got bw over christmas and I started playing this, it's really fun, as long as there aren't a bunch of newbies who leave in the middle of the game >.>.
But anyways, is there anyways to use the Infared scanner? I tried to move shuttle when me and my friend were both on it, but nothing happened. Is it supposed to detect the thing because one of the logs said, "The thing's body tempature is on average 300 degree celsious, so now you know how to detect a thing!" Or something like that. If you can use the scanners, how do you?
I'm glad you liked the map. :)

You can't use the scanners in the version you have. Maybe I'll make them usable in the next version... Maybe...

...and it's not 300! :| It's 38.

None.

Jan 2 2008, 4:17 pm Fisty Post #15

I have a few bugs to report:

a) For some reason I could not use energy packs at all...
b) The Thing once though i was a human when i was infected and vigorously raped me :dontgetit:...i wasnt too happy to get killed by my fellow thingies.

None.

Jan 2 2008, 5:05 pm JaFF Post #16

Quote from Deathman101
I have a few bugs to report:

a) For some reason I could not use energy packs at all...
b) The Thing once though i was a human when i was infected and vigorously raped me :dontgetit:...i wasnt too happy to get killed by my fellow thingies.
a) In the version you have, you can use Energy Packs only if your energy is below 30.
b) Confusion is an important part of the game. The more confusion, the better.

Don't worry, I hope I'll be able to release a better version sometime soon. I have most of the things done, just need a few fixes...

None.

Jan 3 2008, 12:01 am LoveLess Post #17

Let me show you how to hump without making love.

JaFF had a screenshot of me getting infected... How cruel... T.T

YOU SAID YOU WERENT TEH THING!!!

None.

Jan 26 2008, 2:16 pm pneumatic Post #18

Two questions...

1. seeing as how maplantis is down, are you going to attach the map to this thread?

2. how did you modify the colors of the wireframes? the blue engineering bay was pretty cool, but I'm especially thinking of the beige bits in the shuttle screenshot...

None.

Options
  Back to forum