Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 UMS Mapmaking Assistance > Topic: Night time or Dark caves effect
Night time or Dark caves effect
Mar 23 2009, 7:20 am
By: Pinky  

Mar 23 2009, 7:20 am Pinky Post #1

Hello everyone I am trying to achieve the vision loss with Daytime vs Nighttime.

Currently I am looking in to using a Medic to blind you when it becomes night time (i am still trying to find a way how to do this without looking horribly unprofessional) and a medic restoring you when it is day time (unprofessional also)

Now I think there are better ways to go about doing this, I believe you can remove a players vision and then create a burrowed unit of another vision player? is that right?

I do not know how to remove your own vision, would I be able to have assistance with this?
Also there may be more affective methods then the ones I have mentioned, and I am very open to suggestions.

With the burrowed units, I would not want the unit's speed to be reduced as well.

Also is it possible to only remove vision of certain UNITS, rather then the entire player?

I couldn't find a wiki on how to remove vision either.

None.

Mar 23 2009, 10:13 am Biophysicist Post #2

The commands that affect vision are actually AI scripts for some reason. To unvision a player, run the AI script "Turn OFF Shared Vision for <that player>". And no, you can't turn off vision for only specific units. (Although apparently there is something you can do with flags that creates a somewhat similar effect, but I don't know exactly what.)

None.

Mar 23 2009, 10:29 am NudeRaider Post #3

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

I think your best bet is to use a burrowed unit. Looks quite good, as Tuxlar proved in Rush.
Follow your main unit with a 1x1 pixel location and if the burrowed unit is not inside, move it there. You should notice no slowdown that way.
TZ already said how to add/remove vision of players. Just be aware that the Turn ON/OFF vision AIs are counter intuitive. The player who runs the trigger is who's vision will change and you specify the player who he will get vision from/removed from. So to disable one's vision have him own the trigger and run the Turn OFF AI with himself as target.

Mar 23 2009, 10:10 pm rockz Post #4

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

The unit will pause every time it has a unit moved underneath it. I believe it's only a frame, but it's still noticeable if you're moving fast and/or very picky like me.

"Parliamentary inquiry, Mr. Chairman - do we have to call the Gentleman a gentleman if he's not one?"

Mar 23 2009, 10:28 pm Vi3t-X Post #5

Minor slow down should have little effect. It might also be a benefit, since people tremble in fear in caves.

None.

Mar 23 2009, 11:39 pm samsizzle Post #6

have medics in a box with the unit you want to blind but owned by a different player then when you want your person to be blind or have a small amount of vision, move the blind units from the box to where your hero is then move your unblind hero to some other place and give the blind unit to the proper player and give the unblind unit to some other player. That way you wont have to constantly blind and restore your units, just have a set of blind ones and a set of unblind ones.

None.

Mar 24 2009, 12:28 am Vi3t-X Post #7

*Cough* Hotkeys.

None.

Mar 24 2009, 1:13 pm Pinky Post #8

Yes hotkeys definitely a problem with that situation, but good thinking regardless.

Well I am more inclined to take the burrowed ling effect, but I am having a little trouble scripting it.

How do I get 1x1 locations? I tried double clicking the location and setting Left Top Right Bottom to 1 but this just made the trigger not work at all.

If I make it a regular size the burrowed ling is much too noticeable.

Also, my burrowed units seem to clear alot more fog of war then tuxlars did? Would anyone know why this is occuring?

FINALLY: As I was playing rush to get to the caves, there is the boss battle before it where the boss tries to explode you with blinking burrowed units (sending transmission no doubt) and a massive horizontal line of fast moving explosions. How did he do the fast moving explosions???

None.

Mar 24 2009, 1:51 pm rockz Post #9

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

mobile grids+hyper triggers, or possibly just waits. You could always open it up and look.

when you set left top right bottom, change right bottom to 1 greater than left top.

As for the fog size, idunno. Look at different sizes of burrowed units.

"Parliamentary inquiry, Mr. Chairman - do we have to call the Gentleman a gentleman if he's not one?"

Mar 24 2009, 2:03 pm NudeRaider Post #10

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

Spider mines have a very small vision radius.

Handling 1x1 pixel locations can be a bit tricky. The best way is to create them somewhere you can find them and easily select them: An easy recognizeable part of terrain and no other locations around.
Then you drag the location size, and move you mouse back the where you started dragging, it will almost look as if the location disappered. But once you released the mouse button you'll recognize a white pixel showing you the selected "border" of the location. You can press <Enter> to rename it.
If you ever need to reselect it again you can either try clicking it (easy recognizable terrain spot!) or pick it from the locations list side bar on the left.

Mar 24 2009, 2:48 pm Pinky Post #11

Thanks guys. Everything is working ok now the only real problem is the unit slowdown.

I am using a Marine so it is quite noticeable :S Not nearly as noticeable as RUSH Defiler. Anyway to remove/ileviate the slowdown effect? Maybe if I make it 2+ pixel? Or does that not make a difference.

None.

Mar 24 2009, 4:08 pm NudeRaider Post #12

What makes a difference is how often you recenter the ling/mine.
With a larger location of course it takes longer until the ling/mine is left outside of it and recentered, but you also increase the visibility of it. Find your balance...

Mar 24 2009, 5:59 pm payne Post #13

:payne:

If ever you find the burrowed unit's vision too slow when you move so that it affects your movment (anyway, you get what I mean?).
If ever you need it to be faster, instead of doing a normal location and re-center the burrowed unit all the time (which makes the movment so uncool), you could use Inverted Locations to get better results. Go see Wiki for furter informations ^^
(That was just a side-note in case he wanted that and a bit of publicity for my Wiki :D xD)

None.

Mar 25 2009, 3:58 am Pyro682 Post #14

Create and Remove the Unit constantly, (Not just if the Unit is moving)
You Gain vision immediately, while you lose vision more slowly. This delay in fog change might be your key. It may take some testing to figure out what is the best time (The maximum amount of time you can have between each Create + Remove Cycle without losing vision of your unit)

None.

Mar 25 2009, 1:36 pm Pinky Post #15

Pyro I tested your idea and it works ALMOST perfectly.

I have the trigger as following

Con
NIGHTIME is set

Act
Create 1 spider mine at location hero
Remove 1 spider mine at location anywhere
Preserve

Another trigger is constantly moving location hero to follow the hero.

Only problem with this near perfect idea is every six seconds - seven seconds the vision "flickers" on and off for a bout half a second. Is there anyway to fix this? Yes I have hyper triggers, no I have no waits in my map.

None.

Mar 25 2009, 1:43 pm NudeRaider Post #16

Quote from Pinky
Only problem with this near perfect idea is every six seconds - seven seconds the vision "flickers" on and off for a bout half a second. Is there anyway to fix this? Yes I have hyper triggers, no I have no waits in my map.
Well the vision remove updates at that rate. I don't know if you can pinpoint and exact time this occurs or if it is a bit random. If it is slighly random then you're out of luck.
Otherwise you could tailor your triggers in a manner that when the vision remove is about to be updated (say every 50 trigger loops) that you don't remove and create the spider mine for 2-3 trigger loops.

Mar 25 2009, 1:58 pm Pigy_G Post #17

Creating and removing a unit under someone would slow them down wouldnt it?

None.

Mar 25 2009, 2:21 pm Decency Post #18

Just thought I'd throw out, this vision "delay" can be timed.

It's one of the underlying features of StarCraft that is exploited in Snipers.

None.

Mar 25 2009, 2:26 pm Pinky Post #19

Well my above trigger caused no slow down effects. But it does make the vision flicker.

I toyed around with Death Counters and found that if I reset after every 3 deaths I get no flickering BUT i get slow down effects. :(

Out of the frying pan and into the fire it seems, any way to get past this slow down?

None.

Mar 25 2009, 9:45 pm rockz Post #20

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

Lol I'm god damn awesome. No slow down, no flicker. Side effects may include blurred areas on the ground an random spots appearing.

Okay, so there's one thing which ruins this: blind. Apparently blind automatically resets vision, causing vision to update for everyone, and essentially sets the timer back to 0. To be able to use this, you have to know exactly when the vision update frame occurs.

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Mar 18 2015, 7:42 pm by rockz.

Options
  Back to forum