Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 Map Showcase > Topic: My first working map
My first working map
Mar 12 2009, 12:52 pm
By: Zantranzaspo  

Mar 12 2009, 12:52 pm Zantranzaspo Post #1

This is my first solid attempt at making a map that does what i tell it to.
I used SCMDRAFT2 and SCXE 2.6 to create it and it took me maybe an hour or two.
It shows my quirkiness and general attitude to life.

It is mainly a map to warm myself up to making proper maps. I'm working on a RPG map which may very well not get off the ground.
Unfortunately, i cannot host games on B.net, so the only way i can get any creations out there is uploading them.

Feedback welcome. Flames understood but still hurtful.

Oh, and I'm a new member, by the way.

EDIT: Sorry about that. This map is only good for a brief chuckle depending on your sense of humour. It was mainly a trigger/editor test. As for screenshots, there are none to take without ruining the experience.
No storyline.

Attachments:
Map.scx
Hits: 17 Size: 23.21kb

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Mar 12 2009, 2:54 pm by Zantranzaspo.

None.

Mar 12 2009, 1:41 pm Lt.Church Post #2

Information on what it is about,how to play it, how many players any significant story points and such will be useful when showcasing a map to let people know what theyre going to get. ^^

None.

Mar 12 2009, 3:06 pm Zantranzaspo Post #3

I have only just downloaded a couple of map making tools within the past week.

My RPG, if I get around to it, will be a human invasion of the 'United Alien Republic'.
when I make it, I'm not sure if the units will be balanced correctly.
So far i have named my zerg units and given them rough stats. If i do get around to making it, I'll post a beta on here and get some feedback.

None.

Mar 12 2009, 4:15 pm Lt.Church Post #4

i was sorta referring to the uploaded map, not future maps :lol:

None.

Mar 12 2009, 5:40 pm ClansAreForGays Post #5

Quote from Devourer
First of all: welcome to SEN, but you should read the forum rules of the mapshowcase before. You have to post at least 1 screenshot.
At SEN there is no flaming... and if someone posts a reply which contains flaming it will be deleted or edited by forum moderators.
No devourer YOU should read the damn rules before you start backseat moderating. http://www.staredit.net/topic/1019/ You do NOT have to have a screen shot for a completed map in this forum. You should understand the rule differences between map show case and map production before you start talking.

I'm sorry Zantranzaspo that the first thing you heard on this forum was that you were breaking a rule that doesn't exist.

Mar 13 2009, 7:21 am Zantranzaspo Post #6

If you look at the file size, it is <30 kb, so it is not a very big map. ie, it is just a small map with low clutter and very few triggers.

None.

Mar 13 2009, 9:15 pm ForTheSwarm Post #7

Basically, it's two text triggers. One in the mission briefing and one in-game. Plus some terrain.

None.

Mar 14 2009, 2:04 am Zantranzaspo Post #8

Yes, but it works. It does what i wanted it to.

None.

Mar 14 2009, 2:21 am ForTheSwarm Post #9

It works, but there's nothing really to "feedback".

None.

Mar 14 2009, 4:11 am Zantranzaspo Post #10

True...

None.

Mar 14 2009, 3:07 pm Pigy_G Post #11

I dont understand the point of just making this basic of a map, so it can 'work'. Was your goal to have something never played..ever? at least put some effort into it, or you dont learn anything at all. And your next REAL map might have errors you could have learned from.

None.

Mar 14 2009, 5:55 pm UnholyUrine Post #12

My first working map was a very old Reaver Defense with 20 levels and it was quite fun...
I even used Civilians to block the reavers from walking into the arena...
There was even a hero buying system (only 6 tho)...

From what I've heard, there's nothing in this map that you'd learn from....

Try to modify other's maps... It is hard now, as most people will protect their map, or that the maps are so complicated that you'd be overwhelmed....
Go for those old Cat and Mouse, Archon Tags, and Sunken Defense maps... And try to modify them and input your own ideas... Look for simple maps.. I believe Azala has a few simple, but fun maps... Bloody Marines... Missile Tactics ... etc...
I can also send you Shrapnel CTF if u wish... that'd teach you about interceptor aiscript XD, and high/mid/low locations...

Anyway, sc2's just over the horizon... i doubt the mapping material then would be the same as now .. so there's really no need to go in deep now :-_-:

None.

Mar 14 2009, 6:59 pm stickynote Post #13

I think shrapnel ctf is a bit too complex for a second (or I guess that would count as a first, since this one doesn't count as much). I think my first map was a simple rpg with a simple storyline. It was a basic hack-n-slash rpg. Maybe you could try to do that. It teaches you some basic triggers: how to use conditions such as bring, command, and accumulate (sort of), and switches, plus how to create an exp system/money system and how to implement a storyline into a map and health triggers (ie. set health to 10%).

None.

Mar 15 2009, 2:50 am Zantranzaspo Post #14

I'll give a simple RPG a go, see how it works out. Thanks for the info.

None.

Mar 15 2009, 3:07 am xYoshix Post #15

I have never finished any of my RPG's :><: The first Map I made was a Cat and Mouse map. Its easy to make and quick. Maybe you could do a Cat and Mouse game. I learned many things from it like Switches and basic mechanics of the triggers quickly.

None.

Mar 15 2009, 3:44 am Strilanc Post #16

I still have my first SC map. It was like the solo commando missions (you get a fixed number of units and progress through the map). Not incredibly fun, not incredibly complicated, but it taught me a lot.

I can still remember trying to figure out why my reinforcements were spawning three times for each of the three players. :rolleyes:

None.

Mar 15 2009, 5:41 am Zantranzaspo Post #17

Ok, now I've made a 96 by 96 map. Tug - O - War style game with a lava tile set.
Just need to work on triggers and unit balancing.
I'll post a link when i have developed it some more.

None.

Mar 15 2009, 6:49 am Zantranzaspo Post #18

This is my Tug - O - War so far. i am aware of missing buildings and marines.
Please don't finish it and claim it as your own.
I have only done some of the triggers and i don't know if anything i have placed will cause a crash.
Only team one has unit creation triggers, so you can't really play a game yet.
Using SCMDRAFT2 and Starcraft X-tra Editor in special mode.
Any feedback on it is welcome.

Attachments:
Tug - O - War.scx
Hits: 2 Size: 41.1kb

None.

Options
  Back to forum