Staredit Network > Forums > Modding Projects > Topic: Armageddon Onslaught 2.3 - Development Thread
Armageddon Onslaught 2.3 - Development Thread
Mar 9 2009, 6:07 pm
By: IskatuMesk
Pages: < 1 « 2 3 4 5 68 >

Mar 31 2009, 11:08 pm IskatuMesk Post #61

Lord of the Locker Room

lol HKS didn't redo graphic-ise anything besides changing the existing menu graphics to take the new space, he basically redid what you did except with smaller text so it shows even more maps. But I think he might know how to put together graphics for the menus, I just don't have any source files to work with.

I was considering taking apart the Baldur's Gate 2 UI mod for diablo 2 and using those as source files. That's about the only graphics I have that would be useful for menus.

About the AI, you said you were going to finish the Ghostbusters terran AI at one point. I need it to tech and use all of its units so it can help fight against AO in mid and late-game. I hackjobbed such changes together but I can't get them to build siege tanks from the barracks while leaving it functioning normally for the human player ect. If you can figure that out, it would help quite a bit.

Most of the graphics are ripped and heavily processed from other games; For the effects, mostly diablo 2.

check it oot dawgz

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Apr 1 2009, 12:22 am by IskatuMesk.

Show them your butt, and when you do, slap it so it creates a sound akin to a chorus of screaming spider monkeys flogging a chime with cacti. Only then can you find your destiny at the tip of the shaft.

Apr 1 2009, 12:27 am Biophysicist Post #62

Hey, you plan on modding the Drone, or just leaving it as a simple worker?

None.

Apr 1 2009, 12:33 am IskatuMesk Post #63

Lord of the Locker Room

All of the default stuff will be changed; to what, I don't know.

Drone will have to remain the worker however.

Shot of modified menu.

/edit

I've discovered that the Doom Knight graphic in the diablo TC is actually perfectly fine for me to use; it isn't broken like I first suspected (Well, there's two versions in the mpq, maybe this is just the fixed version). Anyways, I'm totally going to use it for a general purpose melee unit.

I also discovered attkprojangle has a distance limit, and a relatively short one at that. Didn't impede my plans too much though.

Also, Duriel is now almost finished. I just need an updated graphic for his attack and then I can time it all out and stuff. *taps fingers waiting for the graphic to arrive*

I've laid out the plans for the Gatekeeper of Chaos in my head. He'll use a Flamethrower and a huge fireball DoT attack.

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Apr 2 2009, 2:51 am by IskatuMesk.

Show them your butt, and when you do, slap it so it creates a sound akin to a chorus of screaming spider monkeys flogging a chime with cacti. Only then can you find your destiny at the tip of the shaft.

Apr 2 2009, 8:51 am IskatuMesk Post #64

Lord of the Locker Room

So today, with the help of SgtHK, I finished Duriel.

April fools!

No, really, we did.

/edit

I just noticed the text for the unit names is too big. I'll have to correct this.

Apr 2 2009, 9:02 am bajadulce Post #65

Text looks fantastic.

Quote from IskatuMesk
he basically redid what you did except with smaller text so it shows even more maps
No, he has mangled his own .bin file as I would never leave that ugly "create" area at the top of that map list. :)

I was considering taking apart the Baldur's Gate 2 UI mod for diablo 2 and using those ... for menus.
I have no idea what The BGate2 mod for Diablo2 looks like, but I hope it doesn't resemble the screens I bult for my mod nearly a year ago. It is based off the BG2 main menu as is the majority of my UI. I don't want to be redoing it at this stage of the game.

About the AI, you said you were going to finish the Ghostbusters terran AI at one point. I need it to tech and use all of its units so it can help fight against AO in mid and late-game. I hackjobbed such changes together but I can't get them to build siege tanks from the barracks while leaving it functioning normally for the human player ect. If you can figure that out, it would help quite a bit.
Oh Ghostbusters was the grafted Terran AI that builds instant vultures + seige tanks. Yes, that was a quick example demonstrating the benefits of swapping heroes for the player and the default units for the cpu. The requirements for those tanks/vultures/SCI-vessel can be anything you desire. As for the player buttons, you can make a new requirement for those units that is based on something else not used. Example:
Seige Tank Unit requirements:
Current unit is
Rax
or
Current unit is
supply depot
or
current unit is

Now for the player.
requirements = mineral field2 or some shit that never gets built.
current unit is
factory
machineshop
blah blah blah.

This will allow the AI to produce the unit as per the UNIT requirement. The player however will have to follow the mineral filed2 button requirement which is a factory + mshop.

None.

Apr 2 2009, 9:13 am IskatuMesk Post #66

Lord of the Locker Room

Erm. I'm not really sure what you're talking about for the UI. I wasn't expecting you to rebuild the ui's. None of us are graphics artists in the slightest so my original intention was to take the source files from the d2 bg2 ui mod and hackjob them into sc. I think it'd still end up looking different than yours though as I wanted to integrate some extensive CGI into smks for it. Except bin editing is confusing as fuck and I can't even get my edited menu to go into starcraft without it crashing. :\ so much for that. I'll probably give up on it.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean for the requirements, either, specifically the mineral thing. I presume you mean you can just create two sets of requirements for the exact same unit and let them build it that way, correct?

Apr 2 2009, 9:37 am bajadulce Post #67

Ya that was a little confusing. I meant that the requirements for the unit and the button requirements for the player don't have to be the same to produce the same unit. You can use a separate unit to satisfy the players requirement to build the seige tank.

Your Factory's Siege Tank Button might look like this for Seige Tank:
can create unit\Building:
Mineral Field(1)
create unit:
Siege Tank

Your unit requirements for Mineral Field would then be modified as per how you want the players tech tree requirements to allow tank production. The requirements for the actual Siege Tank unit would just be Rax or Factory or whatever else you might desire. Factory has to be included in this list tho of course.

None.

Apr 2 2009, 6:47 pm IskatuMesk Post #68

Lord of the Locker Room

Aaah. I understand now.

Apr 2 2009, 9:49 pm thunderaga Post #69

in the previous beta's you've sent out for downloading, will we get to play the zerg from the start of a map or will we have to place them on the map if we wanted to?

None.

Apr 2 2009, 10:56 pm IskatuMesk Post #70

Lord of the Locker Room

You won't be able to play them.

Apr 2 2009, 11:46 pm thunderaga Post #71

ah I see

any small improvements to terran and protoss units?

thinking of making a campaign for this? I'm sure people will want to help with that if ur planning it, if not it will still be an awesome mod.

None.

Apr 2 2009, 11:49 pm Biophysicist Post #72

I still say you should make an AoS for this. T/P against Armageddon.

None.

Apr 3 2009, 12:20 am IskatuMesk Post #73

Lord of the Locker Room

Only changes to default races are the removal of dark archon, hallucination, and moving of Maelstrom to high templar.

There will be no campaign. I'm not a mapper and I cannot trust or depend on anyone else to make something, let alone within my deadline.

Apr 3 2009, 1:56 am Fallen Post #74

your duiral looks exactly like the duriel in diablo 2... Props on making him but i gotta say ouch on originality.

None.

Apr 3 2009, 3:21 am IskatuMesk Post #75

Lord of the Locker Room

lol

gotta say ouch on your entire post

Apr 3 2009, 4:34 am thunderaga Post #76

so when u you plan on the release of it?
1 month, 2 months, 5 days :lol:

None.

Apr 3 2009, 5:46 am IskatuMesk Post #77

Lord of the Locker Room

When it's ready.

Apr 3 2009, 9:35 am IskatuMesk Post #78

Lord of the Locker Room

Alright fellas. It's time to really get in gear. I want to retire and jump ship ASAP so that means I need to get everything wrapped up and finish everything I want to do.

Tonight is being spent on updating the old stuff to being totally finished, with full effects and sounds. I will be documenting my changes as I go along.

- Thunderer updated with casting overlay and new death sounds.
- Duriel attack sounds redone, spike shadows fixed, alpha timings in place - virtually complete save chargeup anims.
- Shard of Darkness turned into Horror; graphic redone.
- Doing a bunch of string updates; unit names and stuff.
- I have now cannibalized Space Platform in addition to Installation. Do not expect to play on either of these tilesets if they have doodads on them.

Doom Chariot
- Correctly set up the crit chance on Eternal Pril; Doom Chariots no longer have Well of Suffering. Has a chance to do 4x damage on crit, except on death bounce (So a group of doom chariots won't instakill a lone carrier, but are much more dangerous to two carriers that are close to each other)
- Fixed the sounds on Eternal Peril. Also added some casting sounds.
- Instead of launching Well of Suffering, Doom Chariots now have a chance to fire two Eternal Peril vortexes. That basically means that vs multiple targets, they have a small chance to spike their main target for 100+ damage.
- Updated Doom Chariot's graphic; his green orb has been replaced with a red one to fit his attack.

Demon casters
- The Oblivion, Bane, and Damnation now have a unified casting animation overlay and new unified death sounds. The overlay has an images.dat id of 666. - Can't find source file. Will need to export. Done.
- Damnation projectiles should hopefully fan out a bit more. They fan out too much. - fixed (maybe)
- Oblivion base damage is now 3, up from 1. Let the age of the Oblivion raping everything begin anew.
- Bane base damage is up to 12, from 6. Remains concussive.
- Cleaned up firewall code. Needs testing. Now has a randomized duration just like Eye of the Storm.
- Corrected explosion graphic for Oblivion death.
- The Heretic Wizard now randomly casts different spells on his targets. Need to verify if it works correctly. Spells include - Maelstrom, Psionic Storm, Stasis Field, Yamato Gun, Irradiate, Optical Flare,

Gaze of Vanity
- Should now attack air. Doh.
- Now has Spirit Bomb; a randomized chance on his attack to deal massive damage.
- Internal Melee range is a bit higher.
- Now has sounds for chargeup, fire, hit, and spiritbomb. Also has a unique death sound. Also has melee sounds.

Prince of Pain
- Screwed with spike distancing some more. attkprojangle definitely has some weird limit regarding its spawn distance.

Terrans
- Ghost now does Normal damage and has very slightly more range. They are now useful, especially in bunkers.
- Nukes take nearly twice as long and three times as much resources to build. This is to help alleviate nuke abuse now that AO is less aggressive.
- Vulture now does Normal damage.

* I said I wasn't going to change the normal races that much, and I'm not. I'm just making a few units a little more useful for the time they show up at. This will also put the foot down on gratuitous nuke abuse.

Okay I'm too tired to continue. Stuff I've crossed out is stuff I'll do tomorrow and update this post on.

/edit

Updating again! Keep an eye on this post as the day goes by.

Post has been edited 3 time(s), last time on Apr 4 2009, 12:16 am by IskatuMesk.

Apr 4 2009, 8:26 am IskatuMesk Post #79

Lord of the Locker Room

Oh dear. It looks like the Stargraft patch for AO decided to break. You can't research protoss plating anymore for some reason, even though it hasn't been touched.

If I can't fix this, this will seriously hurt the project. :\ There is no firegraft for 1.10 and upgrading to another version is unacceptable. I cannot afford to lose the limit expander.

The mod is also randomly desyncing games for me and HKS.

/edit

According to stargraft the buttons are unchanged.

I have no idea why it drops us, but it's desyncing at roughly 3-5 minutes into the game every time we try to play.

/ edit

I made the upgrades require nothing, they work now. Now to see if the game still desyncs.

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Apr 4 2009, 9:01 am by IskatuMesk.

Apr 4 2009, 9:02 pm bajadulce Post #80

I remember this happening when I rebuilt ORAI and ARAI before Firegraft as well. Maybe it had something to do with XP and Stargraft I dunno. I never reinstalled Windows98 to check. I found that if you as much as clicked on any of the armor/weapon upgrades, you were toast and could never repair them. All of the other upgrades you could mess with without any problems, just not the armor/weapon ones. I had tons and tons of backups tho.. :) DofA will vouch for this. I think I sent him 50 versions of ORAI.pat to test .pat importing when FGraft first arrived.

Deleting everything will work too. And it might even give the player a little needed help as well. Tho if he's missing those advanced buildings, he might be in trouble anyways.

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 « 2 3 4 5 68 >
  Back to forum