Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 UMS Theory and Ideas > Topic: Detecting HP without VHP or EUDs
Detecting HP without VHP or EUDs
Mar 7 2009, 11:43 am
By: JaFF  

Mar 8 2009, 2:03 am JaFF Post #21

Quote from Pyro682
Cool the engines bud.

1) Giving an exact time to the due date is silly; don't pretend you know Blizzard's Game Creating Schedule.
2)The Solution you have is a good solution. That's my point. Use it instead of trying to find something better, because your search won't come up. You wont like any of the other solutions. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." The solution you have "Ain't broke".
3) It makes sense. Just because you don't understand it, doesn't mean it doesn't make any sense at all. If it damages BOTH the computer that youre attacking, AND the player that you have, then obviously there is a 3rd player (or computer) that you are using the scarabs with. Use the Computer that the player is fighting to fix this.
4) If patches come out rarely, that means your map will be played for a longer time. I doubt you're going to make a map that lasts eternally. Eventually, players will forget it, or it will get edited so many times that it will end up being shitty, and people will stop playing it. Does it matter whether or not that the thing that kills your map is a patch or people editing it??
1) I make assumptions based on how slow they are with games in general.
2) Again, you missed my point. You are considering only one application, which is weapon change, while neglecting other applications that just didn't exist or had very complex solutions, such as the item application that was mentioned previously.
3) The way you phrased that sentance was not really good. Most people would agree that it was a bit confusing. Now that you've made you point clear, I can comment that it is a logical thing to do atleast to save computer slots. However, I don't remember whether the AI'd scarabs deal damage to units owned by the same player as they are, so I can't comment on how useful your suggestion is to counter the computer-damaging problem.
4) You are making the assumption that the original will be lost, which is most probably a false assumption, since databases hosted by widely known websites exist. My point of view is that a map must be playable in any patch, thus it is unimportant how many patches come out: 1 or 100, since I might not have the time to edit it even once.

That's it. I've adressed your points, and I hope this off-topicness ends here. If you want to discuss something that is not directly related to the concept I've proposed, please PM me. If you have reliable information about the 3rd point, you are more than welcome to post it here. :)

ADDITION:
Technically if the player owned the scarab, and the other player was unallied, the damage would still apply.
The entire Direct Damage system would not work, since human player owned units are not affected by AI scripts.

None.

Mar 8 2009, 8:30 am SelfPossessed Post #22

Great idea. The item quality application is also cool. I can't really see a means of refining it further, but who knows. *shrugs*

Scarabs will not splash units owned by the same player. It will splash on allies. However, dealing damage to the unit in the arena doesn't work well in multiplayer games if allies are nearby. The Scarab splash damage at the edges of its range is less than the center, which would throw the calculations off if it hit an ally (assuming they can transform too, otherwise it doesn't matter). You could just delay the transformation sequence if allies are too close I guess.

Pyro's solution can work so long as you use a burrowed unit owned by each of the computer's enemies as the target for the scarabs. That way, it will pick the closest enemy regardless of player. Note that there is a MAJOR drawback with this in that ALL of the computer's units are now rushing the players rather than holding position, patrolling, etc. Depending on the map, continually running random suicide for a computer enemy just to allow the transformation sequence may not be feasible. A possible workaround for this could be to give all computer units that are far enough away from the human players to a neutral player before running the random suicide AI scripts. The AI scripts would only be run when a transformation is taking effect. The units would be given back to the computer when the transformation is complete. Aside from map specific issues regarding giving units, there is a also a possible drawback in that a storage system may not work without the continuous random suicide.

Also, having the main unit be forced to die in the arena before transforming is pretty funny. I like it.

Quick nitpick. It is possible for a human controlled scarab to have AI scripts. You have to run the AI for a computer before giving the Reaver to the human. Because you cannot continually run random suicide in this manner, the scarab does not spaz out and attack without dying. It technically deals damage and runs a script, but not in the way you want it to. I believe this is what vi3t meant.

Jaff, good luck on the scarab storage system. The one we discussed should be the most optimal one thus far.

There's my 2 cents.

None.

Mar 8 2009, 5:03 pm JaFF Post #23

Quote from SelfPossessed
Jaff, good luck on the scarab storage system. The one we discussed should be the most optimal one thus far.
I'm thinking of making it into one map that incorporates Direct Damage, scarabs storage, unit death position detection, this HP detection (possibly in form of items or health packs that restore only N% of your HP) as well as some other concepts like mobile/location grids, binary countoffs, etc. This will allow me to create a map that shows the function of many useful systems, demonstrating how cool Direct Damage is.

None.

Options
  Back to forum