Staredit Network > Forums > Serious Discussion > Topic: Deity/Higher Power
Deity/Higher Power
This topic is locked. You can no longer write replies here.
Aug 29 2007, 12:56 am
By: Crystal Fire Dragon
Pages: 1 2 312 >

Polls
Do you believe in a deity?
Do you believe in a deity?
Answer Votes Percentage % Voters
One God 22

39%
None.
Multiple Gods 1

2%
None.
No God 34

60%
None.
Please login to vote.
Poll has 57 votes. You can vote for at most 1 option(s).

Aug 29 2007, 12:56 am Crystal Fire Dragon Post #1

I just want to see how many of you believe in a God/Deity/Higher Power.
Personally, I don't believe in a God.

None.

Aug 29 2007, 12:59 am Armony Post #2

I don't believe in a god. (Note my refusal to capitalize.) Nothing in the bible makes any sense to me unless I read it from the viewpoint that the author was an ancient attention seeker who thought it would be great to get a bunch of people to believe in something fictional.

None.

Aug 29 2007, 1:01 am Crystal Fire Dragon Post #3

I always kind of envisioned it as someone attempting to make the world a better, more orderly place (from their standpoint) the only way they could, by trying to play on people's superstitions.

None.

Aug 29 2007, 1:04 am Armony Post #4

Of course, the more you try to order things, the more you actually create disorder. I believe that's something close to the second law of thermodynamics. Entropy rules, and I have to agree that religion is an attempt to stop the natural entropy of the world.

None.

Aug 29 2007, 1:07 am ToA Post #5

Que Sera, Sera.

Ah...Good ol' serious discussion.

ON TOPIC:

I believe in god, i dont see any other reason how we got here, the science doesn't make sense to me.

Aug 29 2007, 1:10 am Crystal Fire Dragon Post #6

Yeah, at one time I belived there was a God, but I was always a deist. I just couldn't see how, unless it was unimaginably cruel, a God would let its creations run amok destroying eachother. Slowly as my life continued my faith dissipated.

None.

Aug 29 2007, 1:10 am Armony Post #7

Honestly, Evolution makes more sense than Creationism does in my mind, but I see flaws in both theories. The major flaw in Evolution being that scientists just can't find anything from too far back in history. Creationism has the flaw of having no proof at all other than what's written in the bible. I just don't believe books with no sources. I therefore believe that there is not a god.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Aug 29 2007, 1:11 am by Armony.

None.

Aug 29 2007, 1:25 am Infested-jerk Post #8

If god exists, I don't need organized religion telling me what morals to have.

The object of religion (from a top-down perspective) is to scare (or tempt) the living daylights out of the sheep (people too stupid to think for themselves) into living a certain, morally structured life (Ten Commandments are practically moral guidelines).

Frankly, I'm not a sheep. I can decide what morals are morally right. I don't need the Catholic Church telling me I'll go to hell for using a condom. That's an overly harsh reaction that hasn't kept up with the times. The majority off @$$holes these days don't want strict lives. If it will redeem them, they'll settle for half-@$$ed morals to slide into hell.

It boils down to giving rewards (heaven) verses punishment (hell, which god didn't create somehow), to the people, tricking them into morality.

None.

Aug 29 2007, 2:26 am ShizTheresABear Post #9

Religion is somebody who was creative enough to create a "higher power" and people believed it to be true. Just look at Christianity. Somebody wrote a novel and somehow magically everybody can go to a "heaven".

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Aug 29 2007, 2:27 am by ShizTheresABear.

None.

Aug 29 2007, 2:31 am Falkoner Post #10

I believe in a single god. I don't see how people cannot at least believe in a god, as the whole world is proof of it.

Oh, and the bible is not a 'novel' it was translated from plates, so unless all of the prophets were lying, I'm pretty sure it isn't just a fake.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Aug 29 2007, 2:32 am by Falkoner.

None.

Aug 29 2007, 2:47 am WoAHorde Post #11

The whole world is proof of evolution and natural selection. Not proof of a deity.

None.

Aug 29 2007, 2:50 am Falkoner Post #12

Are you trying to say that earth just popped out of no where, along with all the planets, and that earth just happened to be the perfect setup for life?

None.

Aug 29 2007, 2:54 am WoAHorde Post #13

No, the Earth has gone through 4.5 billion years of stellar evolution, along with Sol and the rest of Sol System. They formed in the collapse of a gas cloud 4.5~4.7 billion years ago. The conditions for Earth are ideal for life because it formed in the habitable zone for this system. Was this the work of an all powerful god? No, it's just the universe and chance.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Aug 29 2007, 2:55 am by WoAHorde.

None.

Aug 29 2007, 2:57 am Falkoner Post #14

Lol, and somehow we evolved from monkeys, yet while other animals that supposedly evolved from other animals do not still have their unevolved form, while we still do?

None.

Aug 29 2007, 3:01 am WoAHorde Post #15

Humans DID NOT evolve from Monkeys. We evolved from the same common ancestor, which over time had split into different species.

None.

Aug 29 2007, 3:03 am Falkoner Post #16

And what is this common ancestor, oh blasphemer?

None.

Aug 29 2007, 3:17 am WoAHorde Post #17

Humans are descended from the Haplorrhini family of mammals. The one actual species that is our common ancestor is not known yet, due to gaps in the fossil record.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Aug 29 2007, 3:18 am by WoAHorde.

None.

Aug 29 2007, 3:30 am cheeze Post #18

LoL @ this topic. When will this get old? :O

Anyway, the poll answers do not cover everything; what if you believe their existence cannot be determined?

None.

Aug 29 2007, 3:38 am Joeman12 Post #19

Don't believe in god/gods/ultimate hierarchy of beings or anything else. The idea of one being of ultimate power and total uberness created us, then just sat back and watched all of its creations destroy and murder each other seems far fetched... Evolution seems a much more realistic concept then *Poof!* "I have made people yay!"

None.

Aug 29 2007, 3:41 am Falkoner Post #20

Duh, it's called faith.

1st Corinthinans 15:40-42, Telestial, the stars, Terrestial, the moon, Celestial, the Sun

Do you really think God is going to help us along every way? We are sent here to be judged, it's your choice, if everyone believed in God then there wouldn't be destruction and murder.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Aug 29 2007, 3:42 am by Falkoner.

None.

Options
Pages: 1 2 312 >
  Back to forum