Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 UMS Theory and Ideas > Topic: Waypoint casting system
Waypoint casting system
Jan 10 2009, 3:48 am
By: Lethal_Illusion
Pages: < 1 2 3 >

Jan 14 2009, 5:45 pm Decency Post #21

Explain Inverted Locations, please. There is no wiki for them. :-(

None.

Jan 14 2009, 5:46 pm Pigy_G Post #22

Lethal your a genious, On a side note if you want to use a scrouge and you want it cloaked, use the stacked cloaked larva trick. Just make the player build some at the start.

@Faz

I'm pretty sure by inverted locations he means instead of having 4 locations surrounding a unit to detect movement, you have 1 tiny location under the unit, and use a trigger to detect if it's at that location, you get a faster reaction time, less locations, and there is no chance of the unit running through the location.

None.

Jan 14 2009, 6:49 pm payne Post #23

:payne:

@Pigy: What you've said would work, but it's not what Lethal meant by inverted location.
How they work: First, you have to have a location of the EXACT size of a unit (which is represented by the greens rectangle in SCMDraft). Then, you check it properties and invert left and right coord. and same for top and bottom. You'll get a non-movable location which isn't clickable anymore and that has no more blue representing it's area.
How to use it? As long as a unit will be bigger than this rectangle, it'll be considered as in the location. How to know how a unit leaves it? As long as a unit will touch the 4 edges of the rectangle, it's considered as in. Once it doesn't touch any of the 4 edges, it's out of it so you can use Bring condition to detect that.
Pros? Fastest detection (if you've done the location right, you'll have a pixel detection system ^^) and less use of locations.
Cons? None :D

Please, remember Kaias and qPK though of it too, don't give all credits to Lethal ;P

P.S. I've edited my previous post that explains how to get better results
Clicky

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jan 14 2009, 6:55 pm by payne.

None.

Jan 19 2009, 2:22 pm payne Post #24

So, has anyone used this in one of his map yet? :O
More ways of avoiding some problems would be good ^^ (glitches references into the link of my previous post)

None.

Jan 20 2009, 7:55 pm Pigy_G Post #25

remember Kaias and qPK though of it too, don't give all credits to Lethal ;P

I actually thought of this aswell, but never said anything or tested it.

None.

Jan 20 2009, 8:00 pm Vi3t-X Post #26

Quote from name:FaZ-
Player brings at most 0 units to location X
Execute Trigger

None.

Jan 21 2009, 1:44 am payne Post #27

I'll make a wiki... I'll link you once it's done ^^

None.

Jan 21 2009, 2:24 am Kaias Post #28

Quote from Vi3t-X
Quote from name:FaZ-
Player brings at most 0 units to location X
Execute Trigger
False
Quote from payne
What Lethal meant by inverted location. How they work: First, you have to have a location of the EXACT size of a unit (which is represented by the greens rectangle in SCMDraft). Then, you check it properties and invert left and right coord. and same for top and bottom. You'll get a non-movable location which isn't clickable anymore and that has no more blue representing it's area.
How to use it? As long as a unit will be bigger than this rectangle, it'll be considered as in the location. How to know how a unit leaves it? As long as a unit will touch the 4 edges of the rectangle, it's considered as in. Once it doesn't touch any of the 4 edges, it's out of it so you can use Bring condition to detect that.
Pros? Fastest detection (if you've done the location right, you'll have a pixel detection system ^^) and less use of locations.
Correct

None.

Jan 21 2009, 2:52 am payne Post #29

http://www.staredit.net/wiki/Inverted%20Locations
I'm done with the wiki about Inverted Locations, thank you for correcting it ^^
I'll go for a Waypoint Casting System wiki soon :D

None.

Jan 21 2009, 5:17 am Falkoner Post #30

The main reasons to use Inverted locations, would be for instant unit movement detection, as to detect a unit, the unit must be touching all sides of the inverted location at once, and because they can go outside the edges of the map with the center location action.

None.

Jan 21 2009, 1:08 pm payne Post #31

That's already explained into my Wiki :D

EDIT: I'm done with my Wiki. Please go fix any information: http://www.staredit.net/wiki/Waypoint%20Casting%20system

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jan 21 2009, 2:23 pm by payne.

None.

Mar 14 2009, 11:23 pm Scienthsine Post #32

I've been looking at this, and wish there was an easier way to use it.

Placing the units next to one another during the tutorial or something would make setting the group easier... but I would like to use it for multiple spells. That could be tedious. Is there any way to put an order on the queue through triggers? Seems like a suck thing to leave out of the trigger system.

None.

Mar 15 2009, 12:03 am Kaias Post #33

Quote from Scienthsine
I've been looking at this, and wish there was an easier way to use it.

Placing the units next to one another during the tutorial or something would make setting the group easier... but I would like to use it for multiple spells. That could be tedious. Is there any way to put an order on the queue through triggers? Seems like a suck thing to leave out of the trigger system.
What do you mean by that?

None.

Mar 15 2009, 12:17 am ForTheSwarm Post #34

Quote from Kaias
What do you mean by that?

He means a trigger that works like the Order trigger, except it's a Shift-Order trigger.

It basically shift-clicks for you.

None.

Mar 15 2009, 12:36 am stickynote Post #35

Not really what he was asking, but instead of copying the whole trigger for different units, you could have multiple units instead of the second wraith, so that when, say the devourer and the wraith, moves, then a certain spell is cast.

None.

Mar 15 2009, 1:32 am Scienthsine Post #36

Thought about that, but I think it would be even more trouble to make groups of units, each with the wraith. Doable... but not so elegant.

And yes, what I was asking is basically like the Order action, but instead of stopping the current order, just add it to the queue. Not seeing a way of doing this though.

None.

Mar 17 2009, 2:06 am payne Post #37

I've made a test map about changing spells with the same unit. It doesn't work at 100%, but it's playable and the concept is there. If anyone wants it, ask for it.

None.

Mar 17 2009, 3:30 am midget_man_66 Post #38

you could make a hotkey-noob proof system. It prompts them, asks them to hotkey a unit before lights get shutoff then move it around. If they fail to hotkey then they have to watch a tutorial.

None.

Mar 17 2009, 4:04 am stickynote Post #39

That would work, but why do you need to force them to hotkey, just tell them at the beginning of the map.

None.

Mar 17 2009, 6:19 am Pyro682 Post #40

U guys know that this works with a simple Double-Right Click, Right??? I've been using this system for a while now, and In the map, it has some 'structions (instructions) to tell you to double click.
Lol, I thought everyone on SEN knew about this concept... heh...
You don't REALLY need shift... It makes it cumbersome and Tedious.

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 >
  Back to forum