Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 UMS Mapmaking Assistance > Topic: Stopping a Critter from Wandering
Stopping a Critter from Wandering
Nov 12 2008, 3:24 am
By: SelfPossessed  

Nov 12 2008, 5:51 am SelfPossessed Post #21

Quote from Madroc
What's wrong with this? It seems perfect.

Quote from SelfPossessed
The cycling will cause attacks to miss.

None.

Nov 12 2008, 5:56 am Oyen Post #22

I had a problem similar to the problem you're having. I used a method similar to what NerdyTerdy suggested, except I cycled through each unit one time, put an invincible burrowed drone under each unit (via move action), and from then on cycled through the drones, using the order action on the unit above the drone to keep it from moving.

Of course, this wouldn't work with kakaru if you intend to stop that critter over cliffs, water, etc.

EDIT: Based on the fact that you plan to have the critters move around during some periods of time, If you use the method I suggested, just remove the drones when you make the critters move somewhere, and then recreate the drones underneath each one (by which I mean, create somewhere and move under each one) when you want them to stop moving.

Post has been edited 3 time(s), last time on Nov 12 2008, 6:26 am by Oyen.

None.

Nov 12 2008, 6:35 am rockz Post #23

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

Can you spare 11 locations? Center one on each critter, move them when they move 1 pixel. If you can't spare 11 locations, you can do it with Oyen's way, but cycle one location. Make sure they're inverted.

"Parliamentary inquiry, Mr. Chairman - do we have to call the Gentleman a gentleman if he's not one?"

Nov 12 2008, 6:43 am Oyen Post #24

Hmm....would ordering a unit to move from 'Anywhere' to 'Anywhere' stop it from moving?

None.

Nov 12 2008, 7:05 am Madroc Post #25

Quote from name:
Quote from Madroc
What's wrong with this? It seems perfect.

Quote from SelfPossessed
The cycling will cause attacks to miss.
omg that explains a lot

Quote from name:
Hmm....would ordering a unit to move from 'Anywhere' to 'Anywhere' stop it from moving?
Nope, that would just make the unit move to the center of the map. If only it were that simple..

None.

Nov 12 2008, 11:33 am NudeRaider Post #26

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

Are you sure that the cycling causes units to miss? If you give them to one of P9-12 they are still enemy which should not stop targeting/a flying shot.

Nov 12 2008, 12:29 pm Vi3t-X Post #27

Order hold position. Lul.

None.

Nov 12 2008, 2:59 pm rockz Post #28

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

Quote from NudeRaider
Are you sure that the cycling causes units to miss? If you give them to one of P9-12 they are still enemy which should not stop targeting/a flying shot.
Cycling causes the same problem as moving, SC loses track of the target (it's no longer owned by the same player). Luckily, you can cycle ANOTHER unit, and it will be fine. When you make the critters, cycle them once to make drones underneath, then cycle the drones to keep them in their place. The drones won't move, so only the critters will.
Quote from Vi3t-X
They see me trollin', they hatin'.

"Parliamentary inquiry, Mr. Chairman - do we have to call the Gentleman a gentleman if he's not one?"

Nov 12 2008, 3:43 pm Psionic_Storm Post #29

You should just give the critters to a neutral player and set them to enemy status... unless you don't have any players to spare.

None.

Nov 12 2008, 4:08 pm Madroc Post #30

Quote from name:
You should just give the critters to a neutral player and set them to enemy status... unless you don't have any players to spare.
I don't think this works, not sure.
Quote from name:
Quote from NudeRaider
Cycling causes the same problem as moving, SC loses track of the target (it's no longer owned by the same player). Luckily, you can cycle ANOTHER unit, and it will be fine. When you make the critters, cycle them once to make drones underneath, then cycle the drones to keep them in their place. The drones won't move, so only the critters will.
Quote from Vi3t-X
They see me trollin', they hatin'.
This seems like the only solution.

None.

Options
  Back to forum