Staredit Network > Forums > Null > Topic: Ideas for Mafia roles
Ideas for Mafia roles
Sep 23 2008, 12:29 am
By: Greo
Pages: < 1 « 5 6 7 8 9 >

Oct 7 2008, 3:34 am Moose Post #121

We live in a society.

Quote from HailFire
Oracle*: Once per game, by PMing the game host, the Oracle may instantly reveal the role of one player. Since it's a public announcment, the Oracle's role is revealed, and he acts as a townsperson thereafter.
Yes, you did, but it was a lot different. The name is used, but the powers are different.

Quote from name:Darkling
Escape Artist -- A Mafia member, with the ability to escape from one lynching, and survive. However, his identity is revealed after he or she chooses to use the power. The power could be ignored to protect fellow mafia members if neccessary. However, the role becomes secretly interrupted if a Detective identifies the person.
See above.

I would definitely read the Maplantis role topic if you're into these things. There's a lot of good roles in there. (which you probably see in SEN Mafia!) I might handpick my favorites from there to keep them fresh.

My role ideas: (which you will probably see in SEN Mafia!)
THE AVENGER -- At the start of the game, the Avenger chooses X people that he would - bet you didn't see this coming - would kill for. Whenever one of these people dies (by lynch or by hit), the Avenger gains one hit on the following night for use on a target of his choice. (Possible restriction: If avenging a lynchee, he can only hit someone who voted for that player.)
The Avenger has two night lives. If he loses one, he may sacrifice his second night life for an additional hit to avenge himself, killing both himself and his target.

THE VOICE -- Broadcasts messages anonymously by PMing the host. He may make one communication per day, which appears with the day post. This communication will be limited to 200 characters and may not be circumvented via links. (IE, a link to a player's posts in the topic is OK, but linking to a .TXT with more clue interpretations is not.)
The Voice may have two night lives. (undecided)
Alternate names: Publisher, Broadcast, Telepath, Graffitist, etc.

APPARITION -- May not be killed at night. Instead, he selects a person to "haunt" every night. The Apparition's fate is tied to that person's - if the person being haunted gets killed, the Apparition is killed as well. He may not haunt the same person twice unless no other targets remain. (I will give credit to devilesk for the development of this role.)

REPLACEMENT -- Automatically assumes the powers of the first townie special role killed.
Alternatively, he may take a pick from among all the dead special townie role, but must wait a day for to complete his "transformation". (for balance)

RADIOACTIVE - Has 5 (FIVE!) - perhaps even more! - night lives. He may spend one per night, if he so chooses, to kill another player. He may not use his last life for this. (ie, can't kill himself by hitting someone else) The catch to his five lives is that he loses one of these lives at the start of every day. This loss of a life cannot be prevented by any other roles. (though hits on him can be negated.) Eventually he runs out of half lives and dies. A tragic slipping away. :(
That's a good one to expand on. Maybe I'll let him spend lives to make doctor saves, detective investigations, etc... in addition to hits. :)

Post has been edited 9 time(s), last time on Oct 7 2008, 12:00 pm by Mini Moose 2707.

Oct 8 2008, 8:01 pm Hug A Zergling Post #122

...Do you like any of our roles?

None.

Oct 8 2008, 8:11 pm Biophysicist Post #123

Voice and Apparation are both very cool ideas Moose, I hope you decides to use them in the next Mafia. (Fear my sense of humor!)

Although I do hope you answer Hug A Zergling's question.

EDIT: A few more ideas:

Scientist: The Scientist can create a clone of someone if they die. He must declare who he is going to protect with this ability before they die. Basically the Doctor's ability, except that the clone doesn't have any of the skills that it's past life had (Eg. He comes back as a normal Townie.) and that it takes a day for the clone to grow. If the Scientist clones a Mafia, the mafia might join the town out of gratitude for being brought back. It's their choice, but if they choose not to join, the Scientist figures out that they are Mafia from the way the clone acts as it grows. Additionally, the Scientist can clone people killed by lynching.

Mad Scientist: An insane Scientist aligned with the Mafia. He has all the powers and limitations of a normal Scientist, except that if he clones a non-Mafia, they have a choice to join the Mafia. If they choose not to, there is no repercussion for them (besides the loss of special role that comes with all clonings).

Twin: Someone with this role has an identical twin. Their vote is counted twice. They must be killed twice before being eliminated, although they lose this role if they are "killed" once. (Eg. if a Twin role is hit by a Mafia/Boondock/other killing role/lynching, they instead turn into a normal Townie.)

Agent: Someone with this role may select any role from a list provided by Moose and gain all of the powers/weaknesses of that role. There is no way to figure out what role they have selected.

(need a name, help?): This role can reveal the roles of any two people to each other. They do not learn the roles of their targets. (eg. if person A has this role, person B is a Boondock, and person C is a Meat Shield, and person A targets B and C, B learns that C is a Meat Shield and C learns that B is a Boondock, but A doesn't learn either of B's or C's roles.) May only be uses once per game.

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Oct 8 2008, 10:12 pm by TassadarZeratul.

None.

Oct 8 2008, 8:59 pm Phobos Post #124

Are you sure about that?

CORBO V2 (also known as PEACE KEEPER) - Anonymously cancels all hits during the night, probably except for Zombie's ability. Might use his power only once per game.

Comment: Might add some more time for roles to function (such as detective) and grant players more time to analize the clues or change bandwagons (which could be useful for Mafia members as well, since they could change the direction of the bandwagon if one of their kind was selected for lynching)

this is signature

Oct 8 2008, 9:47 pm Oyen Post #125

False Prophet: A person not aligned with either the town or mafia. At the beginning of each day, moose pms him and tells him who to vote for lynching. The person selected is random and changes every day. This FP MUST vote for that person. If the FP can convince others to vote for this person, and the person is lynched, then the FP is awarded 15 minerals at the end of the game. Each additional time the person the FP voted for is lynched, his end reward increases by 15 minerals.

Have a game with two False Prophets trying to lynch 2 different people all the time, and this could get interesting.....

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Oct 8 2008, 9:57 pm by Oyen.

None.

Oct 9 2008, 3:59 am Moose Post #126

We live in a society.

Quote from name:Reindeer Breeder
Quote from Greo
Cultist of the Dead Clam - A townie or mafia may elect (by PM) to join the Cult of the Dead Clam. At any time, any Cultist may call out "CLAM" and kill everyone in the cult, including him/herself. This can lead to Mafia bagging extra kills, or Townies reducing Mafia numbers much faster. There is always at least 5 Cultists in the start of the game.

Why would anyone want to join?
Because only Mafia would refuse to join. ;) You're vastly overlooking the strategic potential. Though having 5 cultists at the start is kinda dumb. That number would definitely have to be adjusted.

Quote from Phobos
CORBO V2 (also known as PEACE KEEPER) - Anonymously cancels all hits during the night, probably except for Zombie's ability. Might use his power only once per game.
A bit too powerful. No incentive not to use it on the first night. However, it inspires me to make a more balanced version:
PARALYZER -- May cancel X mafia hits once per game, where X is equal to number of the night that he uses the power on.

Best role ever: http://www.staredit.net/maplantis/index.php?post=53870

Post has been edited 4 time(s), last time on Oct 9 2008, 4:18 am by Mini Moose 2707.

Oct 9 2008, 4:04 am KrayZee Post #127

Retribution - Kill anyone who voted to lynch this person. May be given up to at most three towns people.

None.

Oct 9 2008, 5:30 pm lil-Inferno Post #128

Just here for the pie

Illuminator: Allows discussion during night because of the bright light this player gives off. However, after two uses, the light becomes dull and the player functions as a normal townie.

Oct 9 2008, 5:59 pm Biophysicist Post #129

I had an idea, guys: Why don't I start an "Experimental Mafia" game, which is identical to Speed Mafia except I'll be using mostly untested roles like Oyen's False Prophet or my Arbiter role?

None.

Oct 9 2008, 8:04 pm Moose Post #130

We live in a society.

I really want to keep the Mafia games running simultaneously to a minimum. Maybe you can work something out with Greo.
As for weird roles, I plan to use a bunch in SEN Mafia IX. (the next one)

Oct 9 2008, 8:14 pm Moose Post #131

We live in a society.

CULT OF THE DEAD CLAM - Any player may elect to join the Cult of the Dead Clam by posting so in the topic. Once any Cultist has been in the cult for a full day/night cycle, they may post "CLAM" in the topic at any night. Once this is done, everyone in the cult will commit a ritualistic suicide during the next night, including the Cult Leader, all the members, and the CLAM poster himself. Membership is permanent, unless the Cult Leader is killed.

Now throw in...

SHAMAN OF THE DEAD CLAM - The Shaman is in charge of the Cult of the Dead Clam and draws his power from it. At night, he may make one doctor save for every three members in the Cult. (including himself) He also learns the role and alignment of any one Cultist of his choice during the night. (detective investigation with limited targets)
The Shaman has two night lives. If he is killed, members of the Cult are allowed to leave.
He may "pretend" to join the Cult in order to preserve his identity. (ie, no process elimination by "if everyone joins then the guy who can't is the Shaman")

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Oct 10 2008, 6:21 am by Mini Moose 2707.

Oct 9 2008, 10:58 pm Hug A Zergling Post #132

VAMPIRE - If the person the vampire votes for dies the next day, the vampire cannot be killed by any means the next night.
SHIT! I thought I hit "edit" not reply! I guess i can't really call moose on it, can I?

None.

Oct 9 2008, 11:07 pm Moose Post #133

We live in a society.

Nevermind, I can't read.

Oct 10 2008, 8:47 pm Phobos Post #134

Are you sure about that?

Corbo'd, and I'm glad Peace Keeper could serve you, even if to make a different role Moose.

this is signature

Oct 10 2008, 8:57 pm Oyen Post #135

So....why would people join the cult? The shaman benefits are decent, but If a bunch of townspeople join the cult, then all the mafia have to do is have 1 member join the cult, wait a day, and then yell "CLAM!" at night to kill off himself and multiple townspeople during the next night.

Also, what happens when a person with an multiple-lives/after-death ability, such as Psycho, Meatshield, etc, dies to the ritualistic suicide?

I guess one way to prevent the ritualistic suicide is to lynch the Shaman before the next night. Will there be clues in the day posts that help identify him?

Also, the post says he has 2 night lives. Does that mean he can be killed twice during the night of the ritualistic suicide to prevent it?

Post has been edited 4 time(s), last time on Oct 10 2008, 9:11 pm by Oyen.

None.

Oct 10 2008, 9:17 pm Hug A Zergling Post #136

Cults are bad. Don't join cults.

None.

Oct 11 2008, 1:10 am Lingie Post #137

I'm part of the Zergling Cult.

Lingie#3148 on Discord. Lingie, the Fox-Tailed on Steam.

Oct 11 2008, 1:13 am Hug A Zergling Post #138

Ok, that one's is an exception.

None.

Oct 11 2008, 1:27 am Kaias Post #139

Quote from Hug A Zergling
VAMPIRE - If the person the vampire votes for dies the next day, the vampire cannot be killed by any means the next night.
SHIT! I thought I hit "edit" not reply! I guess i can't really call moose on it, can I?
As long as the he can't get the bonus after someone lynched then a role like this'd be fine

Infravisionist: Upon using his ability he can know everyone that is using an ability that night. He can't know, however, what role they have. Maybe 3 uses, or every other round, idk
Unfortunately for him there are many roles that use abilities every night

Utilitarianist: Town aligned roll. When he uses his ability a random Townsperson dies. However, when he does he gets to write a clue as to the cause of the death. The idea is that he frames it on someone by writing clues that can point to someone specifically. Since he is town allied he will only want to use if he's sure of someone being a mafia. (All for the greater good)

Post has been edited 5 time(s), last time on Oct 11 2008, 2:12 am by Kaias.

None.

Oct 11 2008, 1:46 am Vi3t-X Post #140

Pilgrim - Player Migrates to other towns on pre-determined, random days. Selected player cannot be killed that day/night. Player can vote, but the vote will not actually count, more or less a fraudulent vote.

devilesk - Ruin Game, Game Over.

Escape Artist - Whatever, whenever, a doctor that can save himself. But with limited uses...

Supply Manager - At the local shipping industry, we have the Supply Manager. Rich, fat and greedy. When he dies, the mafia is paralyzed and cannot attack the following night. Soon, all will fear the fat people.

TheRichGuy - Given 1000 Minerals to distribute. If he doesn't give them all to Vi3t-X in 2 days, he dies.

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 « 5 6 7 8 9 >
  Back to forum